The Big 4 - who is your favorite?

Powerage5

Who is your favorite band of The Big 4?  

71 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Metallica, but they've all been shitty for years now imo. And it bothers me that every member of Metallica is kinda dumb. But they're rich and famous so what do I know lol.

To be fair, all of these bands have gone through phases. None of them have been consistently great if you ask the average fan. Metallica essentially ceased to be a thrash band after ...And Justice For All, Anthrax fans are greatly divided because of the Belladonna/Bush rift, and Megadeth and Slayer have both been spotty since the end of the 80's.

Kill Em All, Lighting, Puppets and Justice are collectively better than the entire back catalogues of Slayer, Anthrax and Megadeth put together.

In fact, Slayer absolutely blows.

I mostly agree, but Hell Awaits, Reign In Blood, South Of Heaven, and Seasons In The Abyss are all fucking great man.

Slayer did it's thing.

Edited by Rovim

And Justice For All is still so good. Shit production and all. To Live Is To Die is a real epic. And One is one of the best metal songs ever put to tape. But the entire album is just so angry and bone crushing. Sad that it was the last time they truly achieved thrash greatness.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

Its not even close, Metallica. I don't care what critics say, those first 5 albums (Black album rocks) were metal perfection. I personally also really like Load and ReLoad, and I love Death Magnetic. St. Anger and LuLu are horrid, but whatever. They are amazing live too. I saw them twice last year, once for their "Kill Em All" set and the second day for the regular set and both shows blew me the fuck away.

I also love Megadeth, but not as much as Metallica. Don't care about Anthrax (sorry Powerage! Send me some songs I might like) and think Slayer fuckin' sucks

My 2 cents at least

sodom :P

slayer, i think their first 5 albums are great and their first 7 albums are all good(even though 1 was mostly covers :P). they nose dived after that, but every one of the big 4 nose dived but i have to give anthrax credit since they are the only one of the big 4 that rebounded and made a really good comeback album with worship music.

No love for classic Slayer. Fuck you guys. :fuckyou:

*cough* ahem *cough* :P

Edited by bran
  • Like 1

Its not even close, Metallica. I don't care what critics say, those first 5 albums (Black album rocks) were metal perfection. I personally also really like Load and ReLoad, and I love Death Magnetic. St. Anger and LuLu are horrid, but whatever. They are amazing live too. I saw them twice last year, once for their "Kill Em All" set and the second day for the regular set and both shows blew me the fuck away.

I also love Megadeth, but not as much as Metallica. Don't care about Anthrax (sorry Powerage! Send me some songs I might like) and think Slayer fuckin' sucks

My 2 cents at least

What do you know from Anthrax (i.e. what don't you like)? Among The Living is probably the best starting point and the most polished, Spreading The Disease is the polar opposite - very raw and aggressive. Worship Music is my personal favorite, but it's admittedly not their thrashiest album.

Megadeth

I used to love Metallica, but those days are long gone. They're like metal for dummies, the most user-friendly band out of the Big 4.

Slayer's a great band. I still like it. Sadly, Jeff can't be resurrected and they kicked Dave out. Happily, I've seen the classic lineup live.

And contrary to the majority's opinion, I like Anthrax with John Bush best.

Edited by Scumcat Esq.
  • Like 1

My 2 cents at least

What do you know from Anthrax (i.e. what don't you like)? Among The Living is probably the best starting point and the most polished, Spreading The Disease is the polar opposite - very raw and aggressive. Worship Music is my personal favorite, but it's admittedly not their thrashiest album.

I really don't know much aside their like most famous shit (caught in a mosh and the rap mashup) plus I have the Big 4 DVD. Can you name some songs I might like? I don't care if it isn't thrashy, I just like good songs

Megadeth by far.

This. I think Megadeth's "good" stuff is better than Metallica's "good" stuff, and I like the non-acclaimed stuff as well.

Even though some of it hasn't been conventional thrash, I really like a lot of Megadeth's complete discography - the same cannot be said of Metallica, for me at least. Never could get into Anthrax or Slayer. :shrugs:

A good friend of mine who is a superb guitar player (perhaps the best I know) always say of Metallica when covering one of their songs, "There's the way Metallica plays it, and there's the right way to play it."

Edited by OmarBradley
  • Like 1

My 2 cents at least

I really don't know much aside their like most famous shit (caught in a mosh and the rap mashup) plus I have the Big 4 DVD. Can you name some songs I might like? I don't care if it isn't thrashy, I just like good songs

Okay. Here's some of my favorites (Only covering the Belladonna era plus Fistful Of Metal):

Deathrider

The Subjugator

Lone Justice

Armed And Dangerous

Medusa

Among The Living

A Skeleton In The Closet

One World

The Horror Of It All

Be All, End All

Finale

Time

In My World

Fight 'Em 'Til You Can't

In The End

The Constant

Revolution Screams

That's a few songs from each album (Barring State Of Euphoria, which is almost entirely forgettable besides Finale and Be All, End All). There's some really thrashy stuff in there (Among The Living, A Skeleton In The Closet, Fight 'Em 'Til You Can't, etc.), and there's some more NWOBHM-influenced stuff in there (Lone Justice, Medusa, One World, etc.). I left most of the bigger hits out, as you've already head them if you've got the Big 4 DVD.

My 2 cents at least

Okay. Here's some of my favorites (Only covering the Belladonna era plus Fistful Of Metal):

Deathrider

The Subjugator

Lone Justice

Armed And Dangerous

Medusa

Among The Living

A Skeleton In The Closet

One World

The Horror Of It All

Be All, End All

Finale

Time

In My World

Fight 'Em 'Til You Can't

In The End

The Constant

Revolution Screams

That's a few songs from each album (Barring State Of Euphoria, which is almost entirely forgettable besides Finale and Be All, End All). There's some really thrashy stuff in there (Among The Living, A Skeleton In The Closet, Fight 'Em 'Til You Can't, etc.), and there's some more NWOBHM-influenced stuff in there (Lone Justice, Medusa, One World, etc.). I left most of the bigger hits out, as you've already head them if you've got the Big 4 DVD.

Thanks man! I'll give these a listen tomorrow

Megadeth

I used to love Metallica, but those days are long gone. They're like metal for dummies, the most user-friendly band out of the Big 4.

Slayer's a great band. I still like it. Sadly, Jeff can't be resurrected and they kicked Dave out. Happily, I've seen the classic lineup live.

And contrary to the majority's opinion, I like Anthrax with John Bush best.

after AJFA metallica became metal for soccer moms and dads who were more into hard rock :lol:

• Like 2

I never thought Anthrax belonged in the same grouping as the others. They seemed to have a more noticeable punk/funk thrash thing going on. Like a heavier RHCP on steroids, just not as funky as them.

For me I like older Metallica best followed by Megadeth & Slayer.

All of them back in the day kicked some ass.