The Big 4 - who is your favorite?

Powerage5

Who is your favorite band of The Big 4?  

71 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Testament and Sodom.

But really, out of those four, Megadeth > Metallica > Anthrax >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Slayer

Megadeth has been the most consistent for me. I still love Metallica's old work. I wish Anthrax would put out more music, because Worship Music was the best Big 4 album in a very long time. And Slayer just blows.

• Like 1

A good friend of mine who is a superb guitar player (perhaps the best I know) always say of Metallica when covering one of their songs, "There's the way Metallica plays it, and there's the right way to play it."

His name is Dave Mustaine, isn't it? :D

Those are the big four are they, the big four what? :lol:

thrash metal. new wave of british heavy metal + punk= thrash :)

sodom will be my favorite thrash band, i think they really had the most consistent discography of any thrash band. they were also a band that changed sound quite a bit, from black metal influences to a more punk sound, to a more mid temp style similar to south of heaven by slayer.

Edited by bran
  • Like 1

Testament and Sodom.

But really, out of those four, Megadeth > Metallica > Anthrax >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Slayer

Megadeth has been the most consistent for me. I still love Metallica's old work. I wish Anthrax would put out more music, because Worship Music was the best Big 4 album in a very long time. And Slayer just blows.

Agreed on Worship Music. Hopefully the new album will be out early next year. Scott has been saying its MUCH thrasher than WM.

Testament and Sodom.

Agreed on Worship Music. Hopefully the new album will be out early next year. Scott has been saying its MUCH thrasher than WM.

who's singing on the next album?

Metallica. Slayer. Megadeth. Anthrax. Pick one.

Metallica

I like Megadeth too. I used to be a fan of Slayer, but nowadays i rarely listen to them

Anthrax (apart from a few "classic" songs) sucks to me

I saw them live on their recent tours except Anthrax

Edited by Crash Diet

Testament and Sodom.

who's singing on the next album?

Joey. I probably wouldn't be interested if it wasn't him :lol:

Metallica. Slayer. Megadeth. Anthrax. Pick one.

Metallica

I like Megadeth too. I used to be a fan of Slayer, but nowadays i rarely listen to them

Anthrax (apart from a few "classic" songs) sucks to me

I saw them live on their recent tours except Anthrax

Honestly, even if you're not a huge fan, it's worth seeing Anthrax nowadays again. They put on a really high energy show, and it's no big loss if you don't enjoy it - tickets are like $20-30.

Testament and Sodom.

As long as they have more gems like Earth On Hell on it, then I'll be one happy guy.

What pisses me off is how Metallica get shit for going "mainstream" with The Black Album when fuckin their old buddy did the same with Countdown to Extinction and he gets nothing for it. Not to mention The Black Album kicks the fuck out of it.

Metallica are my favourite band equal with Guns and The Beatles, RTL'S my fave. Rust in Peace is probably equal and the remastered version of it is IMO the best sounding album of all time (which I'd also say about the Black Album, fondly enough). Mustaine's also a pretty admirable guy for a giant ginger cunt. :lol: I don't really care about Anthrax I mean Among the living is a great album, but other than that, I don't care? Given my own personal faith, I don't exactly feel comfortable listening to a band like Slayer but I still rate them as a metal band. Fuckin brutal. Try stopping me from literally losing my shit if Reign in Blood or Seasons in the Abyss come on anywhere.

Slayer's just not my thing. Anthrax has not that many memorable tunes, Megadeth has a few more although Mustaine talks too much about his old band, but the only band that really outgrew the scene was Metallica. I remember thinking reading about the Big 4 shows, and thinking Metallica would've filled those venues anyway, regardless if the other 3 bands were there or not.

Didn't Mustaine go even more mainstream than Countdown (which in someways is quite heavy) with an album after that? Risk I think it was called. I remember watching Headbangers Ball and seeing this song called 'Breadline' and thinking, ''christ, what happened?'' He also did Youthanasia which is also quite soft.

Didn't Mustaine go even more mainstream than Countdown (which in someways is quite heavy) with an album after that? Risk I think it was called. I remember watching Headbangers Ball and seeing this song called 'Breadline' and thinking, ''christ, what happened?'' He also did Youthanasia which is also quite soft.

yes...and cryptic writings is another

Edited by Sixes

Megadeth, Mustaine is phenomenal when you consider the guy comes up with 95% of the material and concepts. His players are consistently outstanding virtuosos and apart from a couple duds on albums, the stuff is released every two or three years and usually brilliant. Super Collider is mediocre, Risk is mediocire, Cryptic Writings is okay and TWNAH is okay but the rest are solid and that's some discography.

Youthanasia is nothing like Risk, it's slow and melodic but still heavy as shit in a different way, the songs are classics.

I sort of, grew out of this music really. Thrash is great when you have spots and bumfluff, but then you grow up and realise that the music is, faintly ridiculous really, all skull-headed riffage and lyrics about skulls and crossbones.

Ride The Lightning, MOP, and AJFA explore interesting aspects of life and death, war, the nature of men, suicide, loneliness, fear and other serious issues. The music is also timeless if you're into trash. It's not as shallow and the scope and execution is quite impressive. Lars is a shit drummer, but those albums are still masterpieces that stood the test of time.

I get where you're coming from though, and I agree metal can be limited sometimes compared to other genres of guitar oriented music. Kirk even mentioned something about not playing Seek And Destroy when he's old as fuck and sitting in his rocking chair. He said he'll probably just play a nice country song or some shit. It was honest, and I totally got why he said that. Personally, I still love metal, I just listen to other things too.

Searching... seek and destroy!

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

Oh, they are an intelligent band. I think part of the problem is, not the music per se but the way it presents itself and the social activity of the music. When you grow up, you realise headbanging and 'moshing' is, a/ not particularly fun, and b/ actually completely stupid. Then you have the apparel, the obligatory black t-shirt with skulls and crossbones (GN’R had this also but at least they had Stradlin and therefore were not completely embarrassing). I am also not as keen on shred as I used to be and most thrash is shred. I actually would be more inclined to listen to Load these days (which has blues guitar) rather than Masters and Lightning.

Oh, they are an intelligent band. I think part of the problem is, not the music per se but the way it presents itself and the social activity of the music. When you grow up, you realise headbanging and 'moshing' is, a/ not particularly fun, and b/ actually completely stupid. Then you have the apparel, the obligatory black t-shirt with skulls and crossbones (GN’R had this also but at least they had Stradlin and therefore were not completely embarrassing). I am also not as keen on shred as I used to be and most thrash is shred. I actually would be more inclined to listen to Load these days (which has blues guitar) rather than Masters and Lightning.

I feel old.

Endgame by deth was released only a few years back and some of that record is as fast and aggressive as their classic stuff was, insane return to form.

tumblr_m7b205TEg31rs3divo1_500.jpg

I remember Axl saying he likes Dave but was always trying to get publicity off GNR and Slash jammed with Mustaine where they smoked crack and wrote evil riffs apparently.

• Like 1

Endgame by deth was released only a few years back and some of that record is as fast and aggressive as their classic stuff was, insane return to form.

tumblr_m7b205TEg31rs3divo1_500.jpg

I remember Axl saying he likes Dave but was always trying to get publicity off GNR and Slash jammed with Mustaine where they smoked crack and wrote evil riffs apparently.

All of Slash's riffs are evil. Slash is the devil. :devilshades::slash::devilshades:

Edited by Rovim