The Big 4 - who is your favorite?

Powerage5

Who is your favorite band of The Big 4?  

71 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 4 weeks later...

Really hard decision but had to go with Metallica. First heavy band I got into a big way really back when I was 12. It was via Metallica that I got into other bands like Sabbath and Zeppelin. Agree with the criticism of them to an extent, I mean Load and Reload are a bit hit and miss and St. Anger, well the least said the better :lol: (even if it was the first Metallica record I heard). I really like Death Magnetic though. Haven't really been following them recently but watched their Glastonbury set and was floored, made me remember why I fell in love with the band over a decade ago.

So now that I've finally seen Metallica live, I think I have to say they'd be my second choice as far as a live act goes, still behind Anthrax. Really enjoyed their set at Knebworth, I just don't care for the music. That said, Slayer we're also excellent in Poland a few weeks ago, and that's from someone who was dreading seeing them without Lombardo.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw Slayer in 2008 with the original line up, it was fucking intense, I was three rows from the front getting absolutely crushed, Araya was laughing his ass off at the crush during War Ensemble, they also played Live Undead off South of Heaven.

Funny enough, the only time I saw the classic lineup of Slayer was the worst. I've much preferred them every time I've seen them with Gary Holt.

I saw Slayer in 2008 with the original line up, it was fucking intense, I was three rows from the front getting absolutely crushed, Araya was laughing his ass off at the crush during War Ensemble, they also played Live Undead off South of Heaven.

Funny enough, the only time I saw the classic lineup of Slayer was the worst. I've much preferred them every time I've seen them with Gary Holt.

Holt is a great guitarist, they still put on a heck of a show whenever I watch vids, I really felt they were ON when I saw them, haven't seen them apart from back then so can't comment on the 'being in the crowd' aspect of seeing Slayer minus Jeff and Dave but it was some experience alright! Lombardo to me is the man when it comes to thrashing it out on the kit, something about seeing those 4 guys spin out some aggression.

Everyone ought to listen to Endgame and United Abominations by Megadeth too.

• 2 weeks later...

Putting their discographies into perspective, I'd pick Megadeth with Metallica in 2nd place. Megs had not only an amazing 80's output but also stayed very strong in the 90's with Countdown and Youthanasia; only Metallica's 80's material really sticks for me, because of the weak songwriting in Load/Reload. Slayer is 3rd for me, a few memorable songs but nothing that really makes me want to come back and listen to multiple times.

Anthrax shouldn't even be in a Big 4 of thrash metal, give that right to a band like Testament.

• 3 weeks later...

Testament are fucking great, easily just as good as the rest, I don't particularly dig Anthrax but Death Angel, Megadeth, Testament, Slayer, Metallica are real swell. I ain't checked out Kreator yet either but an old mate said they were the shit.

Megadeth are definitely my fave thrashers. I still think it's ridiculous out of all the records, 14/15, only a few don't particularly engage me. Risk is meh, Cryptic Writings is average, The World Needs A Hero is mediocre, understandably so. Supercollider was average but the goddamn consistency Mustaine has had since getting the use of his arm back and gathering yet another line up, I can forgive him and at least he tried summat new.

The rest, ladies and gents, check the fuck out and find out why the 'deth have a cult following.

Edited by RandallFlagg

Saw Metallica for the second time a few weeks ago. I enjoyed the first time a lot more, but that may have something to do with the setlists being almost identical (Only changes were Orion and Four Horsemen were in and Fuel and Whiskey In The Jar were out). I'd like to check them out at a headlining show on their next US tour, I suspect as with most bands, they're a whole lot better when it's not at a festival.

Also, for everyone saying "well, so-and-so doesn't deserve to be in the Big 4" - it's not like someone made a conscious decision to call these 4 bands the Big 4. They earned the title for being the most commercially successful, and bringing thrash metal to the forefront (Relatively speaking). Everyone seems to love Testament (Except me :lol), but they never pushed the boundaries from a commercial perspective the way these bands did.