Your Top Ten Favorite Led Zeppelin Songs?

Rick Deckard

Ugh, this is like asking a parent their favorite children for me. That below list is my best but probably not accurate. The real answer is- "all of them."

1. Stairway to Heaven

2. Achilles Last Stand

3. Kashmir

4. 10 Years Gone

5. Whole Lotta Love

6. No Quarter

7. Since I've Been Loving You

8. The Rover

9. When The Levee Breaks

10. Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You

I'm actually considering getting into Led Zeppelin. I know this might sound like blasphemy, but I've only heard two of their songs: "Stairway to Heaven" and one other I can't recall the name of. From your "like a parent picking a favorite child comment," I take it you're the guy to ask about that, haha. What would you recommend somebody start with?

Oh boy, yes. Led Zeppelin is my favorite band and that will never, ever change. About 10 years ago I started playing guitar, my mom's love for the band and my dad's picking to Babe I'm Gonna Leave You and Stairway got me wanting to start. I saw a copy of "Early Days- Latter Days" (Their old greatest hits) at Best Buy and I started with that.

They have a newer greatest hits called "Mothership" and I think that would be a good start. Zeppelin is a band best experienced by their individual albums but since you only know two songs I think the greatest hits package is the way to go at the very start. Pick up or download "Mothership" and their first live album, "The Song Remains the Same" at the same time sort of as companions to one another. Led Zeppelin was an entirely different band in a live setting.

I feel as though that is a good introduction and then from there it is a good idea to get into their individual albums, the DVD, and the other live albums. If you really like them after exploring all of that then there is a fantastic world of bootlegs to look into.

1. The Rain Song (I just love it)

2. Trampled Underfoot live (I love live versions of this when Page goes into hyper mode)

3. Fool in the rain (i love Plant's lyrics on this one)

4. Going to California (best zep acoustic track imo)

5. Ten Years Gone (studio or live, I love this song)

6. Bron Yur Aur stomp (I always get down to it)

7. The Ocean (best of zep's riff rock imo)

8. Good times bad times (I love the way it hits you)

9. Traveling Riverside Blues (I love what they did with Robert Johnson's song, took it to new heights).

10. How Many More Times live (I especially love the live performance of this one from the late 60's.)

HM: Stairway live, Kashmir live, Whole lotta love live (the htwww version is fucking epic. I love the in between songs they do in it also), Since I've been loving you live, In the light, No quarter live (I have 30 min versions of this one that are fucking great. JPJ keyboard solos plus I love the Jones/Page interplay on it).

For me Zep is entirely different live.

No Quarter from LA in 1977, Kashmir from the O2 in 2007, Dazed and Confused and Stairway from the 1975 Earl's Court shows, and Whole Lotta Love from BBC Sessions are my current favorites. Like, how can a band ever top those performances live?

Alright, they have both on Spotify so I'll probably check into that tonight. For some reason I have a really hard time listening to entire albums in one sitting, but I can do greatest hits and live albums. It's weird, but there it is. I'll probably give those a listen, then see what albums the songs I particularly liked were on, and then go from there. Thanks for the advice!

1. Miser's Last Stand

2. Stairway to Miser

3. Miser Maker

4. Over the Miser and Far Away

5. Miser

6. Immigrant Miser

7. Whole Lotta Miser

8. Black Miser

9. Babe I'm Gonna Miser You

10. Miser Dick

Are these off the reissue and outtake albums?

• Like 1

1. Starway To Heaven
2. Kashmir
3. Achilles Last Stand
4. Communication Breakdown

5. When The Leveee Breaks
6. Rock n' Roll
7. Immigrant Song
8. The Battle of Evermore
9. Black Country Woman/Trampled Under Foot
10. Good Times, Bad Times

and a lot more

Edited by Crash Diet

In no particular order

1. All of My Love

2. Immigrant Song

3. Black Dog

4. Whole Lotta Love

5. Rock & Roll

6. Dyer Maker

7. Stairway to Heaven

I'm a failure but I don't just like these songs, I LOVE them & still listen to them since first year high school when they came out.

My favorite is Your Time Is Gonna Come, the other nine are in no particular order:

Hey Hey What Can I Do

All My Love

Dazed and Confused

Friends

Tangerine

Stairway to Heaven

Kashmir

In The Light

The Crunge

And I'm positive my answer will be different in about 20 minutes. Their entire discography is flawless to me.

Guest Len B'stard

Black Dog

Rock n Roll

Livin Lovin' Thingiewhatsit

Dazed and Confused

Immigrant Song

Heartbreaker

Kashmir

When the Levee Breaks

Whole Lotta Love

Good Times Bad Times

Suprised i made it to ten.

Edited by sugaraylen

Black Dog

Rock n Roll

Dazed and Confused

Immigrant Song

Heartbreaker

Kashmir

When the Levee Breaks

Whole Lotta Love

Good Times Bad Times

I believe you (and me) have no business in this thread. (When I saw you had posted, I thought I would see a cheeky list of Willie Dixon songs.)

Guest Len B'stard

Is this a calculated, heartless attack on our Led Zeppelin?

( see the "whatshisname" saga)

The what saga? :lol:

Guest Len B'stard

Black Dog

Rock n Roll

Dazed and Confused

Immigrant Song

Heartbreaker

Kashmir

When the Levee Breaks

Whole Lotta Love

Good Times Bad Times

I believe you (and me) have no business in this thread. (When I saw you had posted, I thought I would see a cheeky list of Willie Dixon songs.)

As I've said before, they're not like...awful as unlistenable awful, they ain't U2 awful, they've got some good songs (although i must admit i struggled to compile a list of ten) they're just not, in my opinion, anywhere near deserving of the hallowed space that they occupy in the hearts and minds of fans and the general music community. Don't mean they ain't made some good songs cuz they have. And i know you think so deep down too I mean, you're an ex-fan, surely to fuck there must be at least a handful of songs of theirs that you remember why you liked.

I wouldn't put them anywhere near my top ten of anything though. Nowhere near. Or even top 40.

Edited by sugaraylen

• 2 weeks later...

Stairway to Heaven

Ten Years Gone

Good Times, Bad Times

Whole Lotta Love

Since I've Been Loving You

You Shook Me

Dazed and Confused

Black Dog

What Is and What Should Never Be

The Lemon Song