GNR Live in Temple Newsam Park - England 2002

gnr_belgium02.jpg

Sensational and charming performance. Even with the average video quality, you can check out one of the best shows of the 2002 incarnation.

Axl's voice on the show was powerful and flawless (check Jungle, LALD, YCBM). Buckethead is superb and outstanding as always. His guitar solos are amazing variations on the themes.

That was my favorite incarnation of Nu GNR. The incarnation that had more potential in my opinion. It was enough to take Robin live shows and have the ideal band.

Axl was very enthusiastic and communicative at this show. Notice what he says before November Rain.

It would be a beautiful DVD, no doubt.
Enjoy it!

Edited by auad

I remember following the 2002 shit circus on the forums. People didn't know what to make of Bucket, Robin, the hair, the jerseys, and the Mickey voice. It was all so new. I recall the August 2002 shows being well received in reviews. There was a rumor that CD was going to come out on 12/03/02. Then the VMA performance happened. Then Vancouver happened. Then Philadelphia happened. Cancelled tour and four years of hiding followed.

Memories.

Edited by The Macaroni Incident?
  • Like 1

I was there - I don't think anyone actually believed he would turn up until the moment he came out. Alot of people were won over by the band (Bucket in particular). Shame the setlist got cut short, but it was an exciting time - Asian tour done, UK Festival appearance, US tour booked and belief that ChiDem would be out - we all know what happened next though :(

I was there too. But they got more time after his rant, so I don't think the setlist was shorter at all.

Great show. When they started playing Think About You I could hardly believe it!

If you see the setlists of the tour they were a couple of songs short, not dramatically cut but I think they would of thrown in Chinese.

Was delighted when they played TAY, love that song.

I remember following the 2002 shit circus on the forums. People didn't know what to make of Bucket, Robin, the hair, the jerseys, and the Mickey voice. It was all so new. I recall the August 2002 shows being well received in reviews. There was a rumor that CD was going to come out on 12/03/02. Then the VMA performance happened. Then Vancouver happened. Then Philadelphia happened. Cancelled tour and four years of hiding followed.

Memories.

This whole period is a huge reason I want an Axl autobiography.

• Like 1

I tried stabilizing the Temple Newsam footage last year to make it look more like a pro shot :unsure: Basically involved a lot of cropping, panning and zooming of the audience footage so that the screen was always full.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0HDmDeScjQB3V0WC15E2Nwzq7Ix2aQ8v (Intro/WTTJ/ISE Playlist)

I went to the London Docklands 2002 show instead of this one and had a blast rock3

Edited by downliner
  • Like 1

I tried stabilizing the Temple Newsam footage last year to make it look more like a pro shot :unsure: Basically involved a lot of cropping, panning and zooming of the audience footage so that the screen was always full.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0HDmDeScjQB3V0WC15E2Nwzq7Ix2aQ8v (Intro/WTTJ/ISE Playlist)

I went to the London Docklands 2002 show instead of this one and had a blast rock3

But you missed the "he's in my ass" thing. but in the other hand you got to hear RIAD

I was there too. But they got more time after his rant, so I don't think the setlist was shorter at all.

Great show. When they started playing Think About You I could hardly believe it!

I was there as well. It was a great show :)

I studied in Leeds so I always go back if something great is happening there. I was just 'remembering' earlier today some club there someone took me too where booze was free or really cheap, I cannot remember too much. I think it was in the Merrion Centre or the St Johns centre possibly downstairs. I remember meeting St Etienne too at another club which they owned or worked in, one hit wonders in the 90s.

Awesome place Leeds, apart from the crime haha

His voice was really bad during this tour, apart from obviously being full mickey he was extremely pitchy like he had little to no control over what was coming out. I wouldn't even rate this as high as some of the weaker performances from 2011 or 2014.

Axl Rose (& employees) present Gn'R freak cover show! That's what '02 era looks in perspective...

Could have been labeled as "freak" (although a lame word to describe them), yes, but definitely not "cover" since they were performing their own material as well.

nuGuns was a great band. Buckethead and Finck were 100 times more professional and 100 times more valuable than any of the members of Axl's current band. Whatever they chose to wear on stage is redundant and unimportant.

Axl Rose (& employees) present Gn'R freak cover show! That's what '02 era looks in perspective...

Could have been labeled as "freak" (although a lame word to describe them), yes, but definitely not "cover" since they were performing their own material as well.

nuGuns was a great band. Buckethead and Finck were 100 times more professional and 100 times more valuable than any of the members of Axl's current band. Whatever they chose to wear on stage is redundant and unimportant.

Agree.

Bucket was the biggest miss of the GNR, the most complete musician the band has had, his performance on each song was memorable, with efficiency, technique and feeling. That was the most promising incarnation of this project, which had more conditions. Axl's vocals in this show is amazing, those who disagree need to watch again. Brain and Bucket ... much more effective than DJ and Franck. Another big miss in GNR was Freese.

A lot of people seem to think he sounds like "mickey" in 2002, whereas I see it as a clean voice, unlike the "mickey" voice we've had from 2011-2014. Personally, I thought Axl's voice was great 2001-2002.

Axl really messed up by cancelling the 2002 tour and going into hiding for so long. If he would have just completed the tour and then released the album with full promotion/music videos...things could have been so much different and we could probably still have Bucket and Finck in GNR writing more music to this day.

Sorry to disagree, but image is very important for an old-school rock band like Gn'R - unless it was called something else of course...

When people saw some of the new freakish guys on the band, they simply could not relate to Gn'R anymore, no matter how talented music players they were. Axl's weird new looks and brand-new mickey-mouse voice didn't help either.

Sorry to disagree, but image is very important for an old-school rock band like Gn'R - unless it was called something else of course...

When people saw some of the new freakish guys on the band, they simply could not relate to Gn'R anymore, no matter how talented music players they were. Axl's weird new looks and brand-new mickey-mouse voice didn't help either.

Unfortunately alot of the press agreed that the 2002 lineup looked like a freak show - They were my favourite new lineup, I didn't care how they looked, they were great players and they were the ones recording the album so they had my support - and I guess it had to be different to the traditional rock band look, had to be something different, but the press just couldn't see past it most of the time.

Plus - best version of Knockin on Heavens Door was definately from that period - no overly long drawn out 'I'll sing one, and you sing one...', no requests for reggae, just a lovely arrangement, simple, t'was great.

• Like 1

His voice was really bad during this tour, apart from obviously being full mickey he was extremely pitchy like he had little to no control over what was coming out. I wouldn't even rate this as high as some of the weaker performances from 2011 or 2014.

Now tell me what pitchy means.

Unfortunately alot of the press agreed that the 2002 lineup looked like a freak show - They were my favourite new lineup, I didn't care how they looked, they were great players and they were the ones recording the album so they had my support - and I guess it had to be different to the traditional rock band look, had to be something different, but the press just couldn't see past it most of the time.

Plus - best version of Knockin on Heavens Door was definately from that period - no overly long drawn out 'I'll sing one, and you sing one...', no requests for reggae, just a lovely arrangement, simple, t'was great.

Rock bands are supposed to look like freaks. Always have been, always shouls be. The Beatles looked like freaks to people in the 60s. 80s GNR looked like freaks back then. It's only in recent years when posing pretty boy twats have been put in charge of music that yhis has come to be regarded as a bad thing.