The Official FIFA World Cup Thread 2014

Tater Totts

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We needed Wilshere instead of the abysmal Gerrard, Lallana ahead of Rooney, Ashley Cole at Left Back, John Terry at CB alongside Cahill, Ross Barkley ahead of Henderson.

Basically, what I said 2 weeks ago has been proven.

Would like to add, some good finishes in the France - Suisse game. Poor Swiss buggers couldn't celebrate some good goals! Benzema's second was fab.

It is funny but I thought 2010, v Germany, was the true abyss of English football. Now 2014 makes 2010 look rather decent. England have went backwards. We will probably not qualify for the next euros and world cup and straddle around for the next ten years like a Faroe Islands or Macedonia - or worse: Scotland. In 2010 there was all this shit spoken about reform of the youth academies and grass roots etc. Has not worked, has it?

Anyways, I’ll not speak about that team of wankers anymore. Just wish everyone would take their flags and bunting down (I doubt they have it up for England v Sri lanka!).

We needed Wilshere instead of the abysmal Gerrard, Lallana ahead of Rooney, Ashley Cole at Left Back, John Terry at CB alongside Cahill, Ross Barkley ahead of Henderson.

Basically, what I said 2 weeks ago has been proven.

Would like to add, some good finishes in the France - Suisse game. Poor Swiss buggers couldn't celebrate some good goals! Benzema's second was fab.

Lallana and Barkley starting in place of Sterling and Henderson was a no brainer with Sterling being a impact sub.

Some of Woy's team selections were at best naive and at worse suicidal.

Ashley Cole was a must, that guy as much of a nobhead as he is, still world class. I understand the logic of him barely playing but would he have been worse than Baines? We didn't take Terry and the centre backs still fucked up against Uruguay.

You look at that team, as with a lot of england teams, on paper it looks great, quarters minimum, then they get together the old familiar england way and boom a cauldron of fuck ups and inept finishing. Shame Owen's career went down the injury drain.

Edited by RandallFlagg

We'll see what Rodgers does next season, the transition he made with Liv was awesome this season. See how he copes with champions league, high expectations and rotating more players, doubtless they'll strengthen. Probably way too young to consider international management and he's norther irish ain't he?

We have had a bespectacled bonking Swede and an Italian fascist manage England's football team: I do not see how nationality comes into it (unless he is IRA!).

There is a guy on the radio putting forward Gary Neville's name! Fuck me, we are truly fucked!

Maybe, just maybe after this World Cup with an England team built to play "the Liverpool way", people will realise what most of us on here already knew. The Liverpool way is a myth. It actually consists of poor defending masked by the superb talents of Suarez (and to a lesser degree Coutinho).

Take Suarez and Coutinho out and you have a pretty average PL team at best.

There is therefore no "Liverpool way" for England to build upon. It doesn't exist, it's a myth. The only way it could be done is to get FIFA to change its rules and then offer Suarez a small fortune to play for England.

England would have been far better to base its team on the Chelsea defence. JT, Cahill and Ash are all English as far as I know and I believe JT could have been persuaded to go had the FA shown an ounce of humility. Play a sensible mix of youth and experience in front of that defence and we'd certainly have gone further than we have.

Dyke's confirmation that the FA wants Hodgson to stay on demonstrates 2 things: (1) that the FA wants to save face at any cost and hates to admit it was wrong (not much different to FIFA in that regard), and (2) that Dyke knows more about TV than football, not surprising since he's a TV executive by trade.

What will happen when Suarez goes to Spain and Liverpool crumble back into mediocrity? When Sturridge demonstrates that he's just a flash harry gutless wonder without the space he gets because opponents are so busy watching Suarez? When Brendan realises that the Scouse fans are not so kind when things don't go their way?

Maybe England will try something else then. The QPR way perhaps?

Guest Len B'stard

It aint Hodgsons fault, he had the best possible gameplan i reckon, its purely a player quality thing, its to do with how we learn to play football in this country, what we are taught.

Hate to say it but its purely a quality thing.

They need a Carlsberg team talk

I remember that ad.

I'm not even English and it still gets to me when they get to the Bobby Robson bit where it goes completely silent.

That, and I think that's Bobby Moore at the top of the steps with the lion isn't it?

I miss Sir Bobby.

That flight of stairs to Bobby Moore will keep growing and growing.

Wilshire was poor in the friendlies and against the Italians. I would have had Barkley or Lallana in before him.

Gerrard and Baines had a terrible campaign. Henderson did better than Gerrard.