Things go from really bad to a lot worse in Iraq (and Syria)

Georgy Zhukov

We'll see what Iran can do. I have a feeling Obama is done about hearing how the U.S. needs to stop policing the world. If we don't do it, obviously no one else will...and then this happens....so now we get blamed for not doing something.

Maybe this is the wake up call the world needs. Either accept U.S. imperialism or live with the consequences of what happens without it.

• Like 1

We'll see what Iran can do. I have a feeling Obama is done about hearing how the U.S. needs to stop policing the world. If we don't do it, obviously no one else will...and then this happens....so now we get blamed for not doing something.

Maybe this is the wake up call the world needs. Either accept U.S. imperialism or live with the consequences of what happens without it.

Obama has done nothing. The Iraqi government has asked for their help. Hoping the US will send air support, but they refused. They are on their own, just like the Syrian rebels.

I agree Iraq was better off under Saddam, but Saddam was only strong enough as long he was alive and in power. They need another dictator. At least a powerful government willing to ruthlessly put down these insurgents. I've read that 800 of these guys overran a force of 30,000 Iraqi soldiers. That is how demoralized the army is.

And this fiasco has origins as early as 1979 when the US looked to Iraq as a replacement ally for Iran when the Shah's government fell to Revolutionaries.

Yeah, because the US. "imperialism" (i would say killing people for the oil and the profit) is much better....

Edited by Crash Diet

Yeah, because the US. "imperialism" (i would say killing people for the oil and the profit) is much better....

Yeah....'cause the U.S. got sooo much oil and made sooo much money off of Iraq.

:rolleyes:

• Like 1

gas prices are 80 cents a gallon here in america, down almost 3 dollars since the war in iraq started, you know nothing KK :P Edited by bran
  • Like 2

Obama has done nothing. The Iraqi government has asked for their help. Hoping the US will send air support, but they refused. They are on their own, just like the Syrian rebels.

He's probably just holding off until the rest of the world begs us to intervene. (As in total UN support). If I were him, I would. Ask W how just going to war worked out for him.

He's probably just holding off until the rest of the world begs us to intervene. (As in total UN support). If I were him, I would. Ask W how just going to war worked out for him.

Nobody's begging Obama.

• Like 1

The thing with Iraq is it is all very tribal and there are blood feuds that aren't going to go away once they get "democracy" handed to them- they didn't ask for it.

The rebels in Syria have a large element of foreign extremists in their ranks, the same groups the US is at war with (War On Terror)

The thing with Iraq is it is all very tribal and there are blood feuds that aren't going to go away once they get "democracy" handed to them- they didn't ask for it.

The rebels in Syria have a large element of foreign extremists in their ranks, the same groups the US is at war with (War On Terror)

Something that escapes the simple minds of the US government who think once you introduce democracy and coca cola, people will be waving American flags. They think just because it happened to us, it can happen anywhere. Well nobody ever pays attention to history. Democracy in the US is somewhat successful because it is deep rooted. The original colonies belonged to an empire that already practiced the pursuit of life, liberty and property. They just took it a step further.

But when it comes to governing a nation of tribes all looking to kill each other or overpower each other, then you need one bad mother fucker to keep them in line.

And it is almost a shock Iran has sent in assistance. Usually these countries never help each other out. The only other countries that can help Iraq are Turkey and Saudi Arabia. An intervention is needed before they take Bagdad and it looks like they are well on their way of taking the capital.

I speak in general

That being said Iraq is fucked up. Tbh all of the middle east countries fucked up

But spreading democracy over there is pointless

Edited by Crash Diet

Something that escapes the simple minds of the US government who think once you introduce democracy and coca cola, people will be waving American flags. They think just because it happened to us, it can happen anywhere. Well nobody ever pays attention to history. Democracy in the US is somewhat successful because it is deep rooted. The original colonies belonged to an empire that already practiced the pursuit of life, liberty and property. They just took it a step further.

But when it comes to governing a nation of tribes all looking to kill each other or overpower each other, then you need one bad mother fucker to keep them in line.

And it is almost a shock Iran has sent in assistance. Usually these countries never help each other out. The only other countries that can help Iraq are Turkey and Saudi Arabia. An intervention is needed before they take Bagdad and it looks like they are well on their way of taking the capital.

Absolutely.

I remember reading Norman Schwarzkopf's book "It Doesn't Take A Hero" where he was saying it was imperative that the US learned from Vietnam and how he was hell bent on it not happening again...

I have a friend who is an Assyrian Iraqi, a highly intelligent guy and he would explain Iraq and Middle Eastern politics too me ( I've also read up on the history of Iraq and the West, among other things)...the whole invasion or liberation is a clusterfuck and it's hard to believe that the US Government blundered into it.

If they've spent over 50 years on this region, how can they possibly fuck this up? Did they not research the history of the region?

Looks like Obama is considering a strike, but I don't think he wants to make it look like the US is doing it alone. Pissed off enough people with the use of unmanned military aircraft.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2014/06/obama-warns-us-action-against-isil-iraq-2014612221911327773.html

that whole region is just fucked, i dont think there is anything that can be done to fix or save it.

This statement automatically qualifies you to be more intelligent than many men who are running this country, and perhaps the majority of this country's population.

Much respect.

Why don't we look at ourselves as a country and improve the mainland instead of blowing resources on some country on the other side of the globe that impacts practically none of us at all?

here's an interresting article on this subject, but im sure "great minds" who think the US should only mind it's own business won't bother readind because tl:dr

Superpowers Don't Get to Retire

What our tired country still owes the world

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/117859/allure-normalcy-what-america-still-owes-world

but i'm afraid Obama is hopeless in that regard

Please be kidding. The majority of the world is tired of the US 'helping' out.

No offense, but the US sees itself entirely different than the rest of the world does.

Please be kidding. The majority of the world is tired of the US 'helping' out.

No offense, but the US sees itself entirely different than the rest of the world does.

The US only help out if someone threatens the status of the USD as reserve currency/petrodollar.