English (The Language)

Snake-Pit

Guest Len B'stard

No, really, what the fuck was he actually chattin' about there? :lol:

When writing, I use ; and - a lot.

I find it makes for easier reading and reciting, almost like writing speeches for people

Plus it makes you look a lot smarter.

Offset somewhat by the pointless comma after the word 'writing' :lol:

An interesting thing about languages is that we have a rather short window of a few years in childhood where we can learn them. If we haven't been properly exposed to languages by the age of six we won't be able to learn them properly at all. The window has closed, our brains aren't up to the task anymore. So kids who go through this period in life without being exposed to languages -- few as they fortunately are, as a result of extreme neglect/abuse -- will probably never learn to speak (like the "Girl in the window"). Yet, during these first year every bloody extant language is easily learnt by almost every kid (the premise being that the kid has developed normally). For kids, learning languages is easy. It doesn't matter if it is Sanskrit or Norwegians, kids will learn it with no problems at all -- if, and only if, they are young enough. Of course, if we have been exposed to languages in this crucial time, we can later learn any other secondary language that exists - because our brains have been wired, predisposed to pick up similar complex rules.

This really tells us how different the brains of young kids are compared to the rest of us. Like sponges. Throw information, rules, grammar, doctrines, politics, football teams, whatever you have, at them and it is absorbed through new nerve cell connections.

Well, at least this is what I read earlier today.

• Like 1

Really? I wasn't exposed to any other language than my native one before age six I believe. Yet I believe I could still learn a couple other languages properly :shrugs:.

Yes, but I see what soulmonster is on about there. It becomes much harder to learn other languages after a certain age. I would personally extend the cut off age to, early pubity. Somewhere around 13-14 we become next-to-useless at learning languages.

Really? I wasn't exposed to any other language than my native one before age six I believe. Yet I believe I could still learn a couple other languages properly :shrugs:.

SoulMonster said 'exposed to languages'. (Think Mowgli or Nell) I assume you were exposed to your native language before the age of six ;) If you know one language, you'll be able to learn other languages later on. ('Of course, if we have been exposed to languages in this crucial time, we can later learn any other secondary language that exists - because our brains have been wired, predisposed to pick up similar complex rules.')

Yeah, Lio, that was what I meant. I am talking about cases of serious neglect /abuse where kids haven't been exposed to languages AT ALL before the age of about 6 (again, check out the Girl in the Window for a case study). If your brain doesn't hear languages in this crucial time of development, you will -- allegedly -- never be able to learn languages well.

Edited by SoulMonster

Guest Len B'stard

all footballers look the same to me, sorry :shrugs:

except maybe David Beckham in CK underwear

Who, instead of looking like a footballer, looks like a cunt :D

Edited by Len B'stard

• 2 years later...
On 9/27/2016 at 0:19 PM, janrichmond said:

Thats a cooking term i thought 

i always get creole and cajun mixed up so i looked them up:

Louisiana Creole people (also called Louisiana French Creoles, French Creoles, or, simply, Creoles) are persons descended from the colonial settlers of Louisiana, especially those of French or Spanish descent.

Cajuns are the French colonists who settled the Canadian maritime provinces (Nova Scotia and New Brunswick) in the 1600s. The settlers named their region "Acadia," and were known as Acadians. In 1713, the British took over Canada and expected all settlers, including the Acadians, to defend the kingdom.

there are longer, more detailed info that can be looked up of course.

and they do have creole and cajun style cooking :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

Cajuns are the French colonists who settled the Canadian maritime provinces (Nova Scotia and New Brunswick) in the 1600s. The settlers named their region "Acadia," and were known as Acadians. 

My little girl is named Evangeline after Longfellow's poem. :)

IMG_6227.JPG

• Like 2