Show of the Week - Hartford, CT - March 9th, 1993

oh my so one late night bored i stumbled upon this concert and watched the entire thing from A to Z. Not only does it have the absolute best set list of all time IMO, the entire band including Axl is in top top form.

Notable rarities and songs where they destroyed it are : the garden, nice boys and dead horse

There truly is something special about 1993 live concerts. They sound so fucking good!

The other amazing part of this show is November rain. Around this time I think it's just Axl on the piano and that's it. Really really powerful.

Finally, the concert does not have such staples as nightrain, it's so easy, you could me mine nor rocket queen - i really like the feel of the last shows as sad as they are this one is quite a tearful one to a certain extent because you get the rarities, the gems and they excluded some of their greasy most mainstream hits....i personally think axl is in a pretty good mood in this one.

ENJOY

1. (Wings cover)
  2. (Misfits cover)
  3. (Rose Tattoo cover)
  4. (Bob Dylan cover)
  5. (DEVO cover)
  6. (Slash)
  7. (with Since I Don't Have You (Intro))
  8. (Pink Floyd's Mother Intro)
Edited by double talkin jive mfkr
  • Like 1

I really like the Skin N Bones tour, but Axl always seemed bored in most of the shows. But when he got into it, he was amazing. He probably did his best vocal performances on this tour.

You should listen to some of the European dates from the SnB tour. The band is killing it. Also, there are some shows with Izzy because Gilby broke his hand.

fuck, great set and amazing show from the video it seems, its too bad i was only 4 years old when this was going on, but i was only about 10 miles away over in manchester....fuck i wish i had been old enough to see this

I don't think much of it. Axl's voice kept improving in the Skin N Bones tour. In the beginning (including this show) it did not start out very good but by the summer it got incredibly good. The European shows in June and July (plus Buenos Aires) are the best.

As always I feel obligated to recommend the Karlsruhe show, with Stockholm, Modena and Buenos Aires not far behind. Hartford and Milton Keynes get the most attention because good quality video is available but those later shows are much better.

• Like 1

I don't think much of it. Axl's voice kept improving in the Skin N Bones tour. In the beginning (including this show) it did not start out very good but by the summer it got incredibly good. The European shows in June and July (plus Buenos Aires) are the best.

As always I feel obligated to recommend the Karlsruhe show, with Stockholm, Modena and Buenos Aires not far behind. Hartford and Milton Keynes get the most attention because good quality video is available but those later shows are much better.

i guess you haven't listened to nice boys? november rain? or any other one - its the best filmed show of 93 besides argentina???!!!!!

Need to add the setlist and some more into the first post IMO. It's an excellent show, but you gotta get people interested if you want them to watch it! Post some individual links, tell people some times to skip to, etc. :)

EDIT: Amazing Nice Boys!

• Like 1

Quick question, if we recommend a show does it need to have video? Or can it be audio only? There are so many good shows only available in audio format.

It can be in audio format, but would be good if it could be uploaded to soundcloud (maybe even seperately tracked) so it can be embedded and people actually listen to it. :)

The biggest thing with these succeeding is making it easy for people to actually watch the shows song by song and get to the highlights quickly. Sad, but a lot of people just don't want to put the attention in if it's one 3 hour file. :(

• Like 1

Awesome setlist. The Garden, Nice Boys, You're Crazy, Used to Love Her, Double Talkin' Jive, You Ain't the First, Dead Horse. -5 points for So Fine but otherwise no complaints. :lol:

I've always thought 1993 was the best overall live era, and Axl's best vocal year. I'll listen to some of the show and post my thoughts.

Thoughts:

-This extended "interactive version" of Nice Boys is awesome. New band should abolish KOHD and start doing this every show.

-The Garden live is always awesome. I've always thought Axl should have just done the Cooper bit himself on the album. Cooper is out of place on an otherwise great song.

-Axl basically doing lead on So Fine almost makes it listenable. Not quite though.

-DTJ solo live might be the best thing ever.

-You're Crazy's great as expected. Also find it fitting that I'm listening to it as I read the NGOG vs. Nosaj scuffle in the A4D thread. :lol:

-UTLH almost ruined by Gilby and his shit backing vocals. :(

Edited by bacardimayne

i guess you haven't listened to nice boys? november rain? or any other one - its the best filmed show of 93 besides argentina???!!!!!

Nice Boys done in this style isn't specific to this show, they did it the same way each time in the Skin N Bones tour. Karlsruhe and another shows from Germany which I can't recall but it might have been Bremen are the best versions.

• 1 year later...

just discovered this and watched it from start to finish. oh the memories. i was at this show......17 years old. the first guns show of my life. i remember the excitement like it was yesterday. the setlist was awesome. the acoustic was unbelievable. axl was on point all night. much more stripped down than what the bloated uyi tour had become.....and it was wonderful. in a way it makes me sad that the band couldn't keep it going. fans missed out on a ton of greatness.

just discovered this and watched it from start to finish. oh the memories. i was at this show......17 years old. the first guns show of my life. i remember the excitement like it was yesterday. the setlist was awesome. the acoustic was unbelievable. axl was on point all night. much more stripped down than what the bloated uyi tour had become.....and it was wonderful. in a way it makes me sad that the band couldn't keep it going. fans missed out on a ton of greatness.

That is amazing. It's always good to have members that actually saw REAL Guns N' Roses back in the day. Any anecdote you would like to share?

And yeah, this is a hell of a show. Nice Boys is definitely my favorite performance. Axl had a powerful, powerful voice. Goddamn.

• Like 1

well, what really stands out the me was the crowd. people forget how big guns was at this time. the crowd was absolutely amped up for the show. my friend and i had terrible seats up top on the side of the stage.....behind a bunch of speakers. could only see about half the stage. we said the hell with that and moved to some empty seats dead center of the stage and nobody moved us the entire show. it was a different time. there was no youtube, there were no setlists, you didn't know what the stage was going to look like......or if the band was even going to show up (i had tickets for lake compounce in 91 that got cancelled)......the excitement and anticipation for the show was something i've never experienced at any show since. the band pulling out couches and playing 5 or 6 songs acoustic was something nobody expected but was unbelievably awesome.

• Like 2

Yes, the Skin n' Bones tour was great. It was definitely Axl's best vocal year ever. I've seen 4 1993 shows: Milton Keynes, Nijmegen, The Netherlands 2 days running, and Werchter Belgium. Acoustics were great - everything was near perfect. Dead Flowers had a great impact on me. His voice was incredible. Yeah, all those memories... Wish I could do 1992-1993 all over again...

• Like 1