☬ YOUR opinions, reviews and general thoughts on the Performance/Sound/Visuals in Appetite For Democracy 3D Concert Release ☬

Guest Gunns

Gotta give rockfuel props for sticking around and facing people's comments head-on. Respect.

Gotta be honest and say that's almost enough to sway me toward a purpose. It's officially released today, so essentially their job is done. They could have easily thrown their hands up and said "Our work here is done", but they're not doing that. Pretty classy if you ask me.

• Like 1

I got the blu ray in the mail today and I think the audio mixing and video editing are fantastic. I can actually hear what the band is supposed to sound like in concert. Great job, Rockfuel!! Now for my critique of the show itself: the band is great for most of it. Richard, Tommy, Ron, Dizzy, and Frank (for 80% of it) do a great job. Axl is hit and miss. He is strong in the beginning but there are some songs he is just awful on (Estranged and You Could Be Mine come to mind). DJs bends are very hard to listen to at times, he hits quite a few bad notes, and his camera mugging and "audience look at me" bullshit just....annoys me. Lastly, Frank. Fuck, man, a random drummer who has never played "Don't Cry" before could play it better than that. He's not playing the same groove as the rest of the musicians and during the solo everyone is on full distortion and he's hitting rim shots instead of snare. Just play the song. It's like his refusal or inability to play the correct rhythm to "Mr. Brownstone" - anybody can tap it on their steering wheel driving home why can't a pro drummer play it on a drum set? I don't mind changing fills and switching things up here and there but if the rest of the band is playing it the OTHER way - then do it that way. If it were up to me I would have cut out the band member solos because Around Knockin' I was ready for it to be over with. Ranting aside. I like my blu ray. I'm glad to have something new to add to my GNR collection after only a 6 year wait. This should buy them the rest of the decade anyway.

• Like 1

Now rockfuel just needs to spill the beans on working with Team Brazil..

Meanwhile I sill haven't bothered with this - will definitely pick it up. Quite disappointed by the GnR tweet. Something obviously happened..

I didn't take their tweet that way. They seemed to be positive about it and want others to enjoy it but just don't want to watch themselves on film. Not uncommon.

we certainly can deal with critizism, but the editing on this film judged by "real" post production experts consider this excellent editing and by most fans, and having been involved with and seeing countless concert projects, I agree. Matt doesnt understand that 3D is frame by frame, convergence allignment, color correction and the list goes on, Ok, so he's not a fan of slo mo? that's a lame excuse to say that the editing is not done well? The slo mo is tastefully done in the right moments. I would love to see what Matt has edited....fair question ?, since he's judging editing, then making a statement that it take 3 days? Even the best 2D shows take weeks, unless it's a slopply rush job, which is most of the crap that's in the market. Hollywood films with talking heads can take a year.

Still, this was not the reason for extended delay, the show was finished long ago.

Edited by rockfuel
  • Like 1

we certainly can deal with critizism, but the editing by experts consider this excellent, and having been involved with countless concert projects. Matt doesnt understand that 3D is frame by frame, convergence allignment, color correction and the list goes on, Ok, so he's not a fan of slo mo? that's a lame excuse to say that the editing is not done well? The slo mo is tastefully done in the right moments. I would love to see what Matt has edited....fair question ?, since he's judging editing, then making a statement that it take 3 days? Even the best 2D shows take weeks, unless it's a slopply rush job, which is most of the crap that's in the market. That still was not the reason for delay, the show was finished long ago.

Rockfuel, just how cuntish are Team Brazil?

Meanwhile I sill haven't bothered with this - will definitely pick it up. Quite disappointed by the GnR tweet. Something obviously happened..

I didn't take their tweet that way. They seemed to be positive about it and want others to enjoy it but just don't want to watch themselves on film. Not uncommon.
Eh? Seemed deliberately snide and unproductive to me? Why would they not want to watch themselves play a set? I mean it was a good show right? Why not celebrate it? Why not promote it? :rofl-lol:

Eh? Seemed deliberately snide and unproductive to me? Why would they not want to watch themselves play a set? I mean it was a good show right? Why not celebrate it? Why not promote it? :rofl-lol:

I agree. I didn't see the sense in it either.

we certainly can deal with critizism, but the editing on this film judged by "real" post production experts consider this excellent editing and by most fans, and having been involved with and seeing countless concert projects, I agree. Matt doesnt understand that 3D is frame by frame, convergence allignment, color correction and the list goes on, Ok, so he's not a fan of slo mo? that's a lame excuse to say that the editing is not done well? The slo mo is tastefully done in the right moments. I would love to see what Matt has edited....fair question ?, since he's judging editing, then making a statement that it take 3 days? Even the best 2D shows take weeks, unless it's a slopply rush job, which is most of the crap that's in the market. Still, this was not the reason for extended delay, the show was finished long ago.

what was the real hold up on this production?

Pitboss...the record label has wanted to put a new GNR release out for many years....

ok then we can assume it was the other guess? fair enough. I read axl was upset by this release is there any truth to that? did he check out the final product prior to release?

I just got the 3d bluray. AXS tv did not do this concert justice. The bluray is damn good!!! Great job rockfuel!!! Thanks to Axl and the rest of the GNR crew. You have one satisfied fan. Havent got to check out 3d yet because my bluray player and tv are not 3d .....but someday.

What's up with the writing credits in the booklet? Since when does slash, izzy, and duff get co-writing credit for Estranged and November Rain? Also izzy gets writing credit for Civil War and Slash and Duff for You could be mine and Don't Cry? Sorry I noticed these right away. I've had the writing credits memorized since I was a kid and the UYI albums first came out.

What's up with the writing credits in the booklet? Since when does slash, izzy, and duff get co-writing credit for Estranged and November Rain? Also izzy gets writing credit for Civil War and Slash and Duff for You could be mine and Don't Cry? Sorry I noticed these right away. I've had the writing credits memorized since I was a kid and the UYI albums first came out.

Interesting maybe slash wanted this in order to allow it's release? Lol who knows

Interesting maybe slash wanted this in order to allow it's release? Lol who knows

I have a feeling Slash was busy touring and recording to care about this but I could be wrong...

• Like 1

I have a feeling Slash was busy touring and recording to care about this but I could be wrong...

More then likely they got lazy on the booklet? Hopefully Axl doesn't see it he might flip shit! Lol

Guest Gunns

So here are my thoughts on Axl's performance based on audio only:

1. CD sounds fine

2. Jungle sounds fine

3. ISE is weird. He's doing these fucked up things with his deep voice, and he's noticeably out of breath when you're just listening to audio, but he actually hits most of the rasp parts.

4. Brownstone - Meh, it's OK. Same weird shit with the low voice.

5. Estranged - Abomination. There's no other word for it.

6. Rocket Queen - Abomination. He tries to save it toward the end, but it doesn't work.

7. LALD sounds the same as it always does the past few years. If you've enjoyed it, you'll enjoy it. If you don't, you won't. I really don't like how he does the screams these days.

8. TIL - Honestly, I was expecting a lot better. This is one of those songs that he usually gears up for and nails. He hit some of the parts, but overall it's definitely a subpar performance compared to most live TILs that I've listened to.

9. Better - Hold up on this one for a sec. I was expecting a lot worse based on what people are saying. It's not terrific, but it's fine for the most part. He goes a little Mickey in a couple of the verses, but this is better than everything else so far except for CD and Jungle.

10. Catcher is OK. Not great. Not terrible. Mostly clean voice, but that's what Catcher usually is.

11. SOD - Not bad. A little too much clean voice for my liking, but it works OK for SOD. Axl's off beat a couple times during the song.

12. YCBM - I'm not listening to that shit again. :lol:

13. SCOM - Nooooooo! Skip.

14. NR - Already heard it. Thought it was bad. Axl's voice is very unsteady and inconsistent throughout.

15. Don't Cry - Pretty good for the most part, except he goes from decent gravelly rasp to super Mickey during the "come the morning light" part and it's off-putting.

16. Civil War - WTF, Axl? This is another weird one like ISE where the raspy parts are actually better than the low voice parts. He almost sounds like he's mocking his own low voice with the way he sings the verses. Rasp parts are good in some parts and decent for the most part when they're not good, even when he gets a little cleaner. If he wasn't singing like a moron on the low parts, this would be by far the best track to this point, possibly excluding Jungle.

17. The Seeker sounds like it always does. If you like it, you'll like it.

18. KOHD - 12:41. No thanks.

19. Nightrain - Very good. No complaints. Rasp throughout.

20. UTLH - Meh. He sings both of the two first verses in the low voice instead of going into slight rasp on the second verse. Sounds fine although I like the voice change that usually occurs. Later rasp parts he does in clean voice. I don't like those parts at all, but they're not as offensive as other Mickey moments during the show. I'm looking at YOU "come the morning light". :max:

21. Patience - Pretty good. He starts to do that weird low voice thing again during the first chorus, but someone must have slapped him and told him to stop it. He almost pulls off the end of the sound. Right up until the last line or two where he goes clean. That fast transition from rasp to clean is always strange on the ears. Still, perfectly acceptable performance of this song. Speaking about Axl only of course. :lol:

22. Paradise City - Meh. Not great. Not terrible. First verse is good. Other verses are a little weaker. He turns on the rasp at the expected parts but keeps it pretty clean otherwise. PC is usually a disaster, imo, so this is a step up.

This is a proper song by song Axl summary analysis (well almost, he left out some songs :lol: )

Good Job, I agree with your comments wholeheartedly. Some songs Axl sounds above average, most songs he sounds average or below, and a few he sounds terrible.