☬ YOUR opinions, reviews and general thoughts on the Performance/Sound/Visuals in Appetite For Democracy 3D Concert Release ☬

Guest Gunns

open question mags? :lol:

Absolutely. Of course there are 3-4 people whose opinions I'll disregard. I don't want to dominate the thread if it puts people off posting. I'm just having a lot more fun with this than I expected and I wanna talk about it, and no one irl is gonna talk to me about this. :lol:

Guest Gunns

It's my thread and I think magisme's reviews have been great and worthy additions. Keep it going mags , you're only a few more sentences away from writing more words then the old and new testaments combined.

I think the production of the show is awesome, and its great to have an official release

as long as you can separate the GNR name from what you see on stage, I see no reason why anybody should be unhappy with it, I also accept that Axl doesnt sound and look the same as he did when he was 25, so im happy (however i do find it disturbing that it appears he is not prepared to sing to his highest ability at the beginning of tours)

and since I was in the building that night, it makes it even more satisfying to own

Watched the whole thing yesterday after that atrocious Brazil x Germany game. I needed to watch DJ Ashba to remind me that there could be worse things than losing that match that way. It worked.

So here's the thing: I don't like Ashba. His antics are everything the old band tried to kill back in the day. And his playing is cringeworthy. His Street of Dreams solo was so bad that I almost stopped watching right there. So yes, he is the #1 reason to dislike the performance. People here already explained, so I don't need to get any further on this.

About the show itself: it was good, but it could be better. I guess thats how it goes with every proshot we ever had the chance to watch. I missed more Chinese songs like Shacklers and, of course, more rare stuff like Scraped and Prostitute. I think they could have played those knowing it would be recorded. I think Axl didn't bother tho.

Axl's voice was good in some parts. I can say I didn't cringe like when I watched the Rock in Rio 2011 gig. I got impressed about Street of Dreams, considering it was 2012. He even sang the last bits (what I tell ya.. thats one more failure), although in a lower tone. KOHD had a great scream too, liked it.

The audio mixing was good, but strange. It's interesting that Rockfuel mixed the solos in the center channel of the stereo, but I thought wierd how the rhythm track of the other guitarist bounced to the right. I mean, sometimes Ron's rhythm got to the right, sometimes Richard's. I guess it helps to fulfill the sound when someone is playing a solo, but I thought a bit odd. Maybe it will take some time, but I could get used to it. Having said that, I don't know why in some songs there volume in the rhythm guitars were so low, like in Catcher's ending (which was a shame, as the rhythm is specially good). With three guitars in the band, its almost a crime to not take full advantage of the heavier sound. But it really was a problem in in just some songs, not a big deal.

I really liked Richard's tone. I wish his rhythm was louder in the mix sometimes (instead, Rockfuel mixed Ashba's rhythm way too loud a lot of times), but it was ok. Bumblefoot's lead was wonderful, but I still think his biggest problem is his tone - Im not sure, maybe he uses 0.9 strings and his setup lacks bass. I don't know, it could be better. Not a big deal either, tho.

Ashba's tone was the worst, of course. This guy have no taste at all. His clean sound in Estranged is horrible, sounded like a cheap amp in a bedroom. Also, it's all about power chords and full overdrive all the time. Gets me sick.

Tommy Stinson's bass is way too discret. Wonder if it was one of the gigs where Duff filled in. Frank was good, but some times I heard his hi-hat way too loud. And he used cowbell in some strange parts.

Overall, the editing was good (tho slow-motion was overused), the picture quality was outstanding and it was a good experience. It's the band's fault that I almost fell asleep two times, because I've heard those songs so many times and had nothing really different from the other shows I watched so far. I'm looking foward to have the mp3 now, to have some cool stuff to listen to at the gym.

• Like 3

So does Richard just pick a handful of people in the first row at all the shows and eye fuck them throughout the performance? He's always grinning slyly at people and making "come fuck me" faces.

"Living the dream!" :lol: DJ is so bad. Ron's smile after Axl says that is great.

Guest Gunns

He's always grinning slyly at people and making "come fuck me faces

Are these observations or something else here mags? :lol:

Edited by Gunns

Let me know what you think of Axl and Tommy's "wrestling match" as they walk off stage. It could've been a real nice moment, but then DJ happened.

Just saw it. :lol:

He's always grinning slyly at people and making "come fuck me faces

Are these observations or something else here mags? :lol:

Richard is sexy as fuck. I'd consider it. :lol:

PC is kind of a downer. It's the last song of the show. Wish Axl would bring some more intensity to it.

Guest Gunns

I haven't seen any of it and don't intend to because I do not want to give my eyes and ears AshbaAIDS.

By taking this small but positive step, you have extended your life by 40 years. Good job

• Like 1

So does Richard just pick a handful of people in the first row at all the shows and eye fuck them throughout the performance? He's always grinning slyly at people and making "come fuck me" faces.

I thought he was grinning and making faces at Kat :shrugs:

"Living the dream!" :lol: DJ is so bad. Ron's smile after Axl says that is great.

The answer to your question is yes.

I had no interaction with Richard in 2010 at all, but me and a friend were eye fucked hard by him at all three shows we attended in 2012. The three shows were over a five day span, so after the first show he remembered us and the eye fucking continued during the other two shows. We found it rather funny because he rarely speaks and seems kinda shy, but that's not how he acted on stage. He smiled, grinned and winked at us constantly. He even threw me one of his picks.

He's really great on stage though. He's got a lot of energy and he just looks really cool playing his guitar.

Doesn't Ron actually tilt his head back and straight out laugh when Axl says "Living the dream"?

• Like 1

Guest Gunns

I don't know about anyone else, but it's just occurred to me, the person we must all feel sorry for is the one that spent tens of hours editing this and having to endure Djs antics repeatedly, through multiple camera angles making sure he gets the best close up of hulk hogan ears or the fuck you gesture to the 20 3D cameras. Rockfuel I hope you pay that guy well

• Like 3

One thing I noticed from Ashba's tone and phrasing: I think it sounded pretty close to Going Down's main solo. You know, the one with heavy wah "replying" to Bumblefoot's guitar. Is it known if it's really him on that song?

For real? I thought he was married..

One thing I noticed from Ashba's tone and phrasing: I think it sounded pretty close to Going Down's main solo. You know, the one with heavy wah "replying" to Bumblefoot's guitar. Is it known if it's really him on that song?

For real? I thought he was married..

He was, but I believe he's with Kat now.