☬ YOUR opinions, reviews and general thoughts on the Performance/Sound/Visuals in Appetite For Democracy 3D Concert Release ☬

Guest Gunns

Just picked it up yesterday as I just got home from Europe. Only watched the first half hour or so so far, and not on my main system. I don't have much to say about the performance that hasn't been said yet - some songs sound pretty good, others not so much. Unnecessary filler shots of the Vegas Strip before ISE are unnecessary. My big gripe so far is the video processing - the cross-processing-esque filter they use on some shots (Most of the shots of Frank come to mind, for example) looks horrendous. I have to go back and re-watch it, but is there additional CGI pyro at the beginning of Jungle? :lol: The cinematography is good - I like the angles in use, the pacing of the editing is nice, etc - nicely done Rockfuel :) That said...the images look extremely soft to me. And I'll wait until I get a chance to watch this on my regular system, but most of the shots seem to lack any good amount of detail. The closeups are good, but any of those wide panning shots, the GoPro cams mounted on the ramps (I admit, I do love the placement of these cams...), etc. all look very soft to me. Interested to see how it looks in 3D, I'll have to check it out on my friend's system as I don't have a 3D TV.

I agree 100% some shots look like instagram filter and the video is like blurry, no sharp image.

Yesterday the Bluray finally found ist way into my European letter box. To be honest I do not see a reason for a fan not to buy this Bluray. The Sound mix and production quality is awesome, the band is pretty tight and the show is very entertaining with its Special effects and the 3D is pretty impressive, great job on that. I never thought a concert could be that entertaining to watch on Bluray. Considering the last official concert release was on VHS I don`t see why any GnR fan might not want this.

@ Bitching about Axls voice: Well it is what it is. I reckon it costs a hell lot of Money to produce this show in 3D so they had one take only. The Tokio Show was less than stellar as well. Axl has Problems in some songs like NR, but Nighttrain bloody rocks. Overall a decent job, some Songs worse, others great.

@ Bitching about Ashba: He is not the best guitar Player there is, but to be honest he did not annoy me in this Show. I have the same Impression as from the Shows I saw live, I think he brings a lot of energy to the stage and many in the audience react to it. I think that is a good Thing for a live band.

@ Soft Image: I have only seen it in 3D. Overall the Image Quality seems very good to me. In some cases the camera did not really focus well, maybe that is a technical Problem with the 3D cams. It does not happen that often though and I would not call the Image soft; as said it seems like a focus Problem to me and not a Resolution one.

If I really want to complain about something it would be about the lame audience that woke up only after Don`t Cry. I think that steals some of the energy of the songs.

I recommend to buy this very well produced BluRay for anyone who enjoyed one of the Shows in the past couple of years live and wants to recapture some of the excitement at home. Especially the 3D is very interesting and made very well and the Sound Quality is great too.

Yesterday the Bluray finally found ist way into my European letter box. To be honest I do not see a reason for a fan not to buy this Bluray. The Sound mix and production quality is awesome, the band is pretty tight and the show is very entertaining with its Special effects and the 3D is pretty impressive, great job on that. I never thought a concert could be that entertaining to watch on Bluray. Considering the last official concert release was on VHS I don`t see why any GnR fan might not want this.

@ Bitching about Axls voice: Well it is what it is. I reckon it costs a hell lot of Money to produce this show in 3D so they had one take only. The Tokio Show was less than stellar as well. Axl has Problems in some songs like NR, but Nighttrain bloody rocks. Overall a decent job, some Songs worse, others great.

@ Bitching about Ashba: He is not the best guitar Player there is, but to be honest he did not annoy me in this Show. I have the same Impression as from the Shows I saw live, I think he brings a lot of energy to the stage and many in the audience react to it. I think that is a good Thing for a live band.

@ Soft Image: I have only seen it in 3D. Overall the Image Quality seems very good to me. In some cases the camera did not really focus well, maybe that is a technical Problem with the 3D cams. It does not happen that often though and I would not call the Image soft; as said it seems like a focus Problem to me and not a Resolution one.

If I really want to complain about something it would be about the lame audience that woke up only after Don`t Cry. I think that steals some of the energy of the songs.

I recommend to buy this very well produced BluRay for anyone who enjoyed one of the Shows in the past couple of years live and wants to recapture some of the excitement at home. Especially the 3D is very interesting and made very well and the Sound Quality is great too.

I don't think anyone is complaining just to complain. A lot of people have had opinions both good and bad to share on it.

• Like 1

... but is there additional CGI pyro at the beginning of Jungle? :lol: The cinematography is good - I like the angles in use, the pacing of the editing is nice, etc - nicely done Rockfuel :) That said...the images look extremely soft to me. And I'll wait until I get a chance to watch this on my regular system, but most of the shots seem to lack any good amount of detail. The closeups are good, but any of those wide panning shots, the GoPro cams mounted on the ramps (I admit, I do love the placement of these cams...), etc. all look very soft to me. Interested to see how it looks in 3D, I'll have to check it out on my friend's system as I don't have a 3D TV.

There is additional CGI pyro, I noticed it too. Luckily it is only used once or twice as it did come across a tad cheesy. For my taste I did find the shot selection to be ok but would have preferred a couple of actual close-ups from time to time and not just medium or shoulder shots, which is the closest they get basically. I know a live concert makes that difficult to capture but overall they did do a good job. So far I've only seen the 3D version, might give the 2D a go later on.

Once again, take the test.....

If you're thinking it's sounding good, just play that bitch in front of someone else that's not biased and watch what happens.

It'll bring you back down to earth.

I took the test, I know I'm biased. My husband is what I'd call a casual fan and has always been a casual fan, he likes AFD and UYI, but not CD. He thought Axl sounded okay.

OMG ... I just found something funny ... watch this:

Look at Richard Fortus clothes, hat and guitar @ 6m48s .... In the instants before and after that, he's wearing other clothes, no hat and he is using another guitar.

I hope the DVD doesn't have this kind of shit : :lol:

gezzz, nice pickup. :o:lol: what happened here rockfuel ? Just a bit of bad editing ?

If you're thinking it's sounding good, just play that bitch in front of someone else that's not biased and watch what happens.

I took the test, I know I'm biased. My husband is what I'd call a casual fan and has always been a casual fan, he likes AFD and UYI, but not CD. He thought Axl sounded okay.

Divorce him. :P

Divorce him. :P

No way! Where else am I going to find a man who condones my love for Axl, joins me for a Slash and Myles concert and lets me watch my GNR bluray ? (Granted, not all at once, still haven't managed to finish watching it yet :( )

Not that I thought he sounded great by any means, but I took it over to my friend's place yesterday to give the 3D a go on his system. He's plenty familiar with, but doesn't like GN'R - he thought Axl sounded pretty good. Not amazing, but he said there really isn't anything to complain about. We spot checked the video with LALD, YCBM, and...Rocket Queen I think? Just thought I'd share that opinion from someone who is a complete outsider to current GN'R :book:

That being said, I thought the 3D look excellent on his system. The depth of the image was just amazing - I think it looks so good since it's 100% real; there's no CGI, so you know exactly how it should look in real life. But maybe that's just me. But honestly, I think I can safely say it's some of the best 3D I've ever seen. And the image didn't look nearly as soft in 3D, so maybe that's just a side effect of the 2D render.

• Like 1

As a whole, I feel this is surprisingly solid. The video's officially released though were the worst choices and doesn't do the band any good, excluding Welcome to the Jungle. A few performances on there are the best out of the soundboards already available to us.

OMG ... I just found something funny ... watch this:

Look at Richard Fortus clothes, hat and guitar @ 6m48s .... In the instants before and after that, he's wearing other clothes, no hat and he is using another guitar.

I hope the DVD doesn't have this kind of shit : :lol:

yeah that's really annoying

also, at 4m30s Richard goes to the mic for the chorus and next shot he's away from the mic. The latter is clearly a shot from another moment and there's a couple more of those across the dvd. Some of them are Frank's shots during Civil War, Nightrain and Patience I think. You can see dancers in the bottom when actually there were no dancers during those songs.

Look guys, sometimes people lie. Sometimes my wife cooks shit I don't like and I have say it was good.

There's no way someone can listen to that concert and honestly say axl sounds good. No way.

I can understand you think my husband's trying to spare my feelings. (I know he's not.) But I don't think P5's friend would spare his feelings, do you ? Have you heard the opinion of people who are not fans, but just objective listeners ? (Honest question.)

Fair question and the answer is yes. On multilple occassions. Usually it's to the degree of "wow he sounds horrible" or "damn man, Axl has lost it".

This is subjective I know and I know people feel differently than I do and that's just part of it but if you can honestly listen to TIL and walk away saying to yourself that it sounded good, then that just shows where we're different.

But if I was 'selective' in the songs that I played to someone else, I could probably pull together 4 songs that I'd show someone and fool them so to speak.

Edited by Smokin' Cigarettes

Axl does a great/good job on Jungle, Nightrain, Civil War, The Seeker, Better, Street of Dreams, LALD, Don't Cry and Patience. The rest are all okay, the only outright cringeful parts are on the big ballads (November Rain and TIL especially and Estranged is a bit touch and go in places). There is no need to be selective in the songs you choose to show your friends. Three shakey performances out of a whole show is really nothing to complain about.

Edited by Towelie

Axl does a great/good job on Jungle, Nightrain, Civil War, The Seeker, Better, Street of Dreams, LALD, Don't Cry and Patience. The rest are all okay, the only outright cringeful parts are on the big ballads (November Rain and TIL especially and Estranged is a bit touch and go in places). There is no need to be selective in the songs you choose to show your friends. Three shakey performances out of a whole show is really nothing to complain about.

He's good on Nightrain, Jungle, CD, ISE and The Seeker. All the other songs are cringeworthy.

• Like 1

He's good on Nightrain, Jungle, CD, ISE and The Seeker. All the other songs are cringeworthy.

tbf it's really hard to fuck up ISE and CD since he uses his low register 99% of the song, and The Seeker is more of him talking into the mic than actual singing. Nightrain and Jungle are his best, imo.

So I watched the Blu Ray. I really enjoyed the concert but:

- Axl Rose voice sucks

- DJ Ashba looks and act like a 8yrs child

- Bumblefoot bodyhair looks terrible

- Richard Fortus has a big nose

- Frank doesn't look like a drummer

- Tommy Stinson does not take it seriously

- Dizzy Reed destroyed Guns N' Roses back in 1991

- Chris Pitman can't play tambourine

• Like 1

So I watched the Blu Ray. I really enjoyed the concert but:

- Axl Rose voice sucks

- DJ Ashba looks and act like a 8yrs child

- Bumblefoot bodyhair looks terrible

- Richard Fortus has a big nose

- Frank doesn't look like a drummer

- Tommy Stinson does not take it seriously

- Dizzy Reed destroyed Guns N' Roses back in 1991

- Chris Pitman can't play tambourine

:lol:

Agreed 100%.

Look guys, sometimes people lie. Sometimes my wife cooks shit I don't like and I have say it was good.

There's no way someone can listen to that concert and honestly say axl sounds good. No way.

Compared to the Revolver Gods gig or any of the South American concerts of this year, I think it's pretty decent. Not a highlight of the 2010 tour, but a solid gig.