The RIP birthday party in 1990

RIP Magazine used to throw birthday parties back in the day where they invited bands to come and play. The concert in 1990 is available on Youtube in full and I find it highly entertaining. Band members from GN'R, Skid Row and Metallica played. It's a drunken mess with the guys playing songs they barely can, often songs form the other bands, but it still rocks. Lars Ulrich is a whirlwind throughout the concert and demands they make a second attempt at playing 'Whiplash' after, as James Hetfield claims, "I wanna sing it this time, that other guy [sebastian] fucked it all up". Slash demonstrates he is not really good at playing thrash guitar. Axl is particularly ferocious at the intro to 'Piece of Me' when he tries to out-do Sebastian. Axl also stagedives twice during 'Whiplash'.

Tracklist:

1. You're Crazy (Sebastian Bach, Slash, Duff and Lars Ulrich).

2. For whom the bell tolls (Sebastian Bach, Slash, Duff and Lars Ulrich).

3. Piece of Me (Axl, Slash, Duff and Lars Ulrich).

4. Hair of the Dog (Axl, Sebastian, Slash, Duff and Lars Ulrich).

5. Whiplash (Sebastian, James Hetfield, Slash, Duff and Lars Ulrich).

6. Whiplash (James Hetfield, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Duff and Lars Ulrich).

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 3

It's interesting with Axl, 1990 was a transition period for him. Before that it was the 80s Axl with chaps and teased hair (85/86) and then comes the 90s with white shorts and long, straight hair. This show was a taste of what to come with the UYI tour.

Good lord! Axl absolutely blows away anyone and everyone in that entire video! Pure charisma and energy--- freaking incredible.

Yeah, You can see how he channels his inner demons when starting Piece of Me, going from smiling, happy Axl to angry, dangerous Axl in seconds. He really had an amazing way of bringing it and he completely steals the show with his performance. Absolutely among the best shows I have seen him in, and it is so apparent how great he was since the rest of the show is in a way so charmingly amateurish.

It's interesting with Axl, 1990 was a transition period for him. Before that it was the 80s Axl with chaps and teased hair (85/86) and then comes the 90s with white shorts and long, straight hair. This show was a taste of what to come with the UYI tour.

Good lord! Axl absolutely blows away anyone and everyone in that entire video! Pure charisma and energy--- freaking incredible.

Yeah, You can see how he channels his inner demons when starting Piece of Me, going from smiling, happy Axl to angry, dangerous Axl in seconds. He really had an amazing way of bringing it and he completely steals the show with his performance. Absolutely among the best shows I have seen him in, and it is so apparent how great he was since the rest of the show is in a way so charmingly amateurish.
I think it was Bret Michaels that said back in the day what made Axl so great was that when they'd started up they were performing to fuck all people but Axl always brought it like he was performing in front of a million. I'd say that sums your post up well.

This

Even he is drunk (high?) and messed up some verses his energy is maybe the best at that period of time

The other guys was a serious clusterfuck, though

I wish some better quality audio might popped up :headbang:

Thanks for pointing this out. 9:55 he transforms in a split second. Amazing.

I have seen bits and pieces of this in worse quality but THANKS to the OP for finding this, the quality is still low but I bet that it is the best out there, Thank you again!!!

On the recording when Axl would really use his power it would distort sound to a point you can't really hear him over the distortion. He was sing with power unlike Bach and others. Yes they had power but nothing like Axl. On stage Axl just owned it.

I could careless about the fuck ups it was just 3 bands having fun and playing different songs. Axl had problems with the words to piece of me, you can see him look down several times to find his place, don't know if it was a teleprompter or on paper.

Awesome! I always wondered where this picture was taken, and now I know! Thanks for sharing this!

rip_party2.jpg

For those weight watchers out there.......

Axl was much heavier here than in the AFD days.

Just thought I would throw that in there because in every thread there is post about Axl's weight so why not one here

It was just meant as a joke..............

I could careless if he is considered by many here to be fat now and yes he has extra weight than he didn't in 2006, he was very fit then and people still called him fat so no matter how he looks he will be called fat.