Most influential bands/artists.

Haters Gonna Hate

black sabbath. i would also go with the beatles, even though i dont like their music, they influenced too many bands that helped shape rock(including sabbath)

Edited by bran
  • Like 1

Going way back.

Robert Johnson

Muddy Waters

T-Bone Walker

Django Reinhardt

Buddy Holly

Elvis Presley

Chuck Berry

Fats Domino

Ritchie Valens

Bo Diddley

B.B. King

Carl Perkins

Hank Williams

Little Richard

Ray Charles

Howlin' Wolf

Buddy Holly is the embodiment of rock and roll. The style, the youth, he is rock and roll.

Edited by Georgy Zhukov
  • Like 1

lol MJ

Practically every modern pop star cites MJ as a major influence, including Justin Timberlake, Beyoncé, Bruno Mars, Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber, Chris Brown, NeYo, Usher.

His music has been covered by everyone from Celine Dion to Bumblefoot, Prince to Alien Ant Farm, John Mayer to Mariah Carey.

He has massive respect from artists of all genres. Slash, Questlove, James Brown, Madonna, D'angelo, Paul McCartney, Axl Rose, Van Hunt, Kurt Cobain, Ian Brown, Bjork, Lenny Kravitz, Pharell Williams, Eddie Van Halen, Bono, Stevie Wonder... just some of the artists who have publicly spoken about MJ's talent.

Need more?

Edited by Towelie

For rock n' roll in the post- classic blues world

Chuck Berry

Buddy Holly

Elvis

The Beatles

The Rolling Stones

The Who

Jimi Hendrix

Cream

Led Zeppelin

Black Sabbath

Pink Floyd

Van Halen

Nirvana

Throwing in the Kinks or Iron Butterfly in there wouldn't be a bad idea either. They were both important for heavy metal/ hard rock

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 1

lol MJ

Practically every modern pop star cites MJ as a major influence, including Justin Timberlake, Beyoncé, Bruno Mars, Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber, Chris Brown, NeYo, Usher.

His music has been covered by everyone from Celine Dion to Bumblefoot, Prince to Alien Ant Farm, John Mayer to Mariah Carey.

He has massive respect from artists of all genres. Slash, Questlove, James Brown, Madonna, D'angelo, Paul McCartney, Axl Rose, Van Hunt, Kurt Cobain, Ian Brown, Bjork, Lenny Kravitz, Pharell Williams, Eddie Van Halen, Bono, Stevie Wonder... just some of the artists who have publicly spoken about MJ's talent.

Need more?

lol MJ

Marvin Gaye

Aretha Franklin

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

lol MJ

Need more?

lol!!

I always feel Country music is overlooked big time, I mean before Ray Price people use to sing like Hank Williams all the time and talking Hank Williams, he's one who influenced Dylan. So yeah the Blues and Country music are theist influential genres ever.

Buddy Holly is the embodiment of rock and roll. The style, the youth, he is rock and roll.

chuck berry is the embodiment of rock and roll.

most influential ? the bluesmen, of course.

but if i had to say only one name it would be bob dylan (his songs were covered by hendrix, the byrds, manfred mann, julie driscoll, the walker brothers, etc.). in the sixties, dylan was the artist who had more influence (i prefer leonard cohen, though).

Edited by supercool

chuck berry is the embodiment of rock and roll.

most influential ? the bluesmen, of course.

but if i had to say only one name it would be bob dylan (his songs were covered by hendrix, the byrds, manfred mann, julie driscoll, the walker brothers, etc.). in the sixties, dylan was the artist who had more influence (i prefer leonard cohen, though).

Berry is clearly influential but Buddy Holly is the ultimate influence. You can argue that music today would not be the same without him.

Edited by Georgy Zhukov

To me, influential just means a lot of people wanted to do what they were doing or led to kids picking up an instrument to play, so if you threw in The Monkees and KISS, I'd have to agree with it.

I agree with everyone's mention as far as influences go, I'd add Laura Nyro in where Joni Mitchell usually gets credit. You can hear Joni's style changing the year "Eli" came out, and I feel just about every songwriter in the 70s had been influenced by her. Steely Dan, Elton John, and Todd Rundgren for starters.

Considering the name Everly pops up in the forum a lot, surprised no one brought up her dad and uncle.