Iron Maides's lead vocalist thinks punk is rubbish

Rovim

Punk rock is pretty shit for the most part imo. But weren't Maiden a little Punk themselves before Bruce? Not musically, but the first singer (whatever his name is) had the look, voice and attitude.

yeah the first 2 albums pre bruce had a punk influence that was common in the NWOBHM movement. adding the punk influences to metal in the very early 80s is what saved metal from being just a fad and dying off. paul di'anno ( the singer on the first 2 maiden albums) very much had a punk influence in look and his voice. maiden was offered a record contract in 1976 or 1977 if they wanted to play punk which maiden turned down.

this is really on par what dickinson has said in the past. he went to see maiden in the early days and basically said di'anno was shit and that he should be singing for them. by 1982 the slight punk influence in maiden was gone. this really just stems from that time. it is where the punk vs metal rivalry comes from, and the bands/fans that were there at the time still kind of hold that rivalry.

The punk vs metal thing is probably the gayest "rivalry" in all of music, when you combine elements of both genres I think it's easily the most exciting style in all of guitar/drum/bass based music. Like anything else, anybody who leans too far to either side is a total chode, in this case; Bruce Dickinson, and he's had more than enough time to open his mind, which makes him a super-chode.

The punk vs metal thing is probably the gayest "rivalry" in all of music, when you combine elements of both genres I think it's easily the most exciting style in all of guitar/drum/bass based music. Like anything else, anybody who leans too far to either side is a total chode, in this case; Bruce Dickinson, and he's had more than enough time to open his mind, which makes him a super-chode.

the thing is punk and metal have a lot of things in common, so really bashing either one is kind of pointless :lol:

This guy sucks and so does his band, and I don't even like punk(heck I don't even know what punk is). Seriously what bands qualify as punk bands? Are The Stooges punk? If so then I dig punk but if it's all The Clash and The Ramones then fuck Punk.

Guest Len B'stard

Is this the guy who turned to Islam and then back again? My mate Leon knows him, drank in the same pub, apparently he was a massive cock that everyones just took the piss out of.

EDIT: sorry, i read the word Dianno up there and thought the vid was his.

Sounds like some boring old fart from a redundant genre whining about another old and redundant genre.

Edited by sugaraylen

Guest Len B'stard

I really hate this kind of attitude, you take all the fun out of these type scenes, the competitiveness and bitchiness and surrounding violence was part of the fun :lol:

Oh lets all be friends and get along cuz you know its only music and we're all the same under the sun, fuck that, loosen up, enjoy yourself, hurt someone :lol:

Its like football rivalries, its great fun :)

Edited by sugaraylen

I really hate this kind of attitude, you take all the fun out of these type scenes, the competitiveness and bitchiness and surrounding violence was part of the fun :lol:

Oh lets all be friends and get along cuz you know its only music and we're all the same under the sun, fuck that, loosen up, enjoy yourself, hurt someone :lol:

yeah, told the dead people whose killed by idiot footbal hooligans

Guest Len B'stard

Seriously, metallers nowadays are pathetic. Gone are your down and out long haired hairy faced Special Brew drinking nutbags looking to chin you just to watch your expression change, you see em in fuckin' town nowadays with their well combed long hair and neatly ironed black t shirts on, all hanging around in massive groups, all afraid of a little eye contact, it's fuckin' tragic. To be a metaller you have to fulfill certain tick box requirements, i.e.:

You have to smell slightly of stale cigarettes

Your parents have to be on the dole

You have to drink Special Brew

You have to be called Nigel or else have a mate called Nigel

You have to be thick

You have to have a bad complexion

You have to be slightly afraid of foreigners

You have to be unemployable

There's a few others but I'm sure you all know em :lol:

OK, give me a comprehensive list of their names and phone numbers and i will :D

Edited by sugaraylen

Seriously, metallers nowadays are pathetic. Gone are your down and out long haired hairy faced Special Brew drinking nutbags looking to chin you just to watch your expression change, you see em in fuckin' town nowadays with their well combed long hair and neatly ironed black t shirts on, all hanging around in massive groups, all afraid of a little eye contact, it's fuckin' tragic. To be a metaller you have to fulfill certain tick box requirements, i.e.:

You have to smell slightly of stale cigarettes

Your parents have to be on the dole

You have to drink Special Brew

You have to be called Nigel or else have a mate called Nigel

You have to be thick

You have to have a bad complexion

You have to be slightly afraid of foreigners

You have to be unemployable

There's a few others but I'm sure you all know em :lol:

OK, give me a comprehensive list of their names and phone numbers and i will :D

I like Special Brew, my complexion is black and that's usually bad if you're in the BNP or something and I hate foreigners. I'm a proper metal fan. See even bran agrees, don't you bran? *bran nods head* See? :D

Sure, as fun as it is to hate and be hated I think it's way more fun to be within a group of people who "get it" for the most part, since its so rare. There will always be shitty uninspired bands and boring uninteresting metal heads/punks to make fun of, the guys who are super hardline one way or the other are the worst though. It's just too dumb for words.

Guest Len B'stard

I suppose that all depends on who takes it upon themselves to define what 'it' is. Anyway, its only a bit of a giggle, little bit of healthy aggression never hurt no one :)

I suppose that all depends on who takes it upon themselves to define what 'it' is. Anyway, its only a bit of a giggle, little bit of healthy aggression never hurt no one :)

at least you have seen a metaller, punkers have been on the endangered species list since 1980. you know your genre is fucked when its big "comeback" consisted of blink 182 and avril lavigne :P

in all seriousness though it is fun to bust each others balls about this stuff. to me though the best i have heard it put was on a site some time ago. it is a sibling type of rivalry just mention pop music and both will be distracted by equal amounts of disgust :lol:

plus metal vs punk isnt really a rivalry, you cant have a rivalry between a hammer and a nail :P

Edited by bran
  • Like 2