What were the last albums you were really disappointed by (from bands you usually love)?

Towelie

The big one for me is Alice Cooper - Along Came a Spider. Alice really hyped up this album. The concept sounded good, but the execution was poor. Most of the songs were incredibly bland and lyrically it was well below the standard that Alice is capable of. The saving graces are Salvation and I Am the Spider, but they're both at the end of the album.

I really like Killed By Love from that album, thought Vengeance is Mine was pretty cool too.

With Bob Ezrin producing I had high hopes for it too.

Welcome 2 My Nightmare and Dirty Diamonds are the only post 80's albums of his I would give more than 3 out of 5 to.

I don't think Ezrin was involved with ACAS. Of the post 80s stuff, I'd put TLT, Eyes, DD and W2MN as above 3/5. I don't really rate Brutal Planet though, like Towelie above does. Can't quite put my finger on it. I prefer Dragontown, it just feels a bit looser and a bit more rock n roll.

The big one for me is Alice Cooper - Along Came a Spider. Alice really hyped up this album. The concept sounded good, but the execution was poor. Most of the songs were incredibly bland and lyrically it was well below the standard that Alice is capable of. The saving graces are Salvation and I Am the Spider, but they're both at the end of the album.

I really like Killed By Love from that album, thought Vengeance is Mine was pretty cool too.

With Bob Ezrin producing I had high hopes for it too.

Welcome 2 My Nightmare and Dirty Diamonds are the only post 80's albums of his I would give more than 3 out of 5 to.

W2MN over Brutal Planet, really??

Music From Another Dimension by Aerosmith. Holy shit, that album bums me out

I never really got the hate for that album. Sure, it's not exactly their best work, but with a bit of ruthless editing, it could've been a pretty solid 10 track album. Really loved Lover Alot, Oh Yeah, Another Last Goodbye, LUV XXX, Legendary Child and Sunny Side Of Love.

But it didn't have editing. Instead it was a WAY over hyped (Its just like the 70s! Jack Douglas! Raw, rock n' roll! Less ballads!), took too long, and has SO MUCH crap on it, not to mention tons of IDWTMAT clones (one written by fucking Dianne Warren again)...

It has like 2 fantastic songs- Street Jesus and Out Go The Lights

Then it has some pretty ok to good songs- Oh Yeah, Another Last Goodbye, Lover Alot

And then the rest ranges from meh to garbage

This is of course, all my opinion, but what a let down. I love Aerosmith but I'd be more surprised with a final, fantastic record from them than I would with a GNR reunion

I also have a funny feeling the new Slash record is gonna suck.

The last record sucked so there ya go.

The last two Strokes albums sucked fucking ballz man. I expected better.

What about the third one? Julian's shit is just unbearable these days.

I thought Comedown Machine was an improvement from Angles. At least they sounded like a band that time.

Angles don't even sound like The Strokes. It just sounds like Julian singing over syntgs the whole album. You just ask "WTF happened to the band that made Is This It?"

I find that Hesitation Marks doesn't sound that good when listened to in full from front to back. I also feel this way about Year Zero.

I think it's mainly weak tracklisting. Their are plenty of spectacular songs on those albums. Year Zero could be one of the greatest albums of all time with a few cuts and rearranging with the tracklisting. HM suffers from a lot of the songs following the same formula so it can get tedious after a while. A lot of the tracks are growers. Disappointed and Running were once my two least favorite songs on that album. Now they're two of my favorites.

It's not Trent's greatest work and feels like a step down creatively after Year Zero, Ghosts, The Slip and his OSTs to more predictable music. But there's still some great stuff on there imo.

• Like 2

Godsmack and Linkin Park.

Sully Erna lead singer/song writer for Godsmack used to be one angry guy and his music showed that and I loved it. Now it just seems Godsmack have lost their edge.

Linkin Park got political in their songs and I just hate that. It was better when Chester sang about his personal relationships instead of the President and the state of the world. I don't want to listen to depressing music especially when I'm driving.

• 1 month later...

Springsteen - High Hopes.

and the American Beauty ep is terrible

He needs to ditch the violin and Tom Morello.

The big one for me recently is the Yeah Yeah Yeahs' Mosquito. Dreadful album. They've been a far cry from the quality of Fever to Tell for a long time now, but at least Show Your Bones and It's Blitz! are still pretty good in their own rights. Mosquito is just awful.

Springsteen - High Hopes.

and the American Beauty ep is terrible

He needs to ditch the violin and Tom Morello.

The big one for me recently is the Yeah Yeah Yeahs' Mosquito. Dreadful album. They've been a far cry from the quality of Fever to Tell for a long time now, but at least Show Your Bones and It's Blitz! are still pretty good in their own rights. Mosquito is just awful.

Agreed. I thought It's Blitz was near the quality of Fever To Tell. Mosquito is shit though

I hated The Gaslight Anthem's album Handwritten after loving their first 3 albums. But their new album Get Hurt is an instant classic. Glad i didn't write them off

• Like 1

Aside from a couple of obvious picks like Chinese Democracy and Music From Another Dimension... Hmmm.

Don't get me wrong, Springsteen's High Hopes was good, but compared to it's predecessors (Magic, Working On A Dream and Wrecking Ball) it was a step down. Still not really a disappointment though.

The new Coldplay album kinda blew, but so did the one before that. I liked the first 4 though.

I really wasn't digging Maria Mena's most recent album Weapon In Mind (initially anyway) but the same songs blew me away live.

Can't think of much else atm.

Edited by username

New In Flames album,there is no hope,this band its over,this band used to play some metal stuff,now their sound is bullshit.Oh,the new album still no released yet? Nevermind,we all know how poppish will sound and Anders will suck.

i have no doubt this is how it will end up :lol:

1/ St Anger was a huge shock to the system because it was, so colossally terrible: for an album that stank that much, to come from a band such as Metallica was a surprise. Yes you could criticise Reload and some of their other albums, but nothing in Metallica’s past prepared us for the human shit stain that is, St Anger.

2/ Apocalyptic Love, while not a bad album or anything, was a little disappointing, especially, as it was, coming after Slash‘s self-titled debut: a masterpiece (’Anastasia’) surrounded by pub rock numbers. A poor man’s (‘70s) Aerosmith.

3/ Chinese Democracy. It surprised me to see songs like Scraped and Shackler’s Revenge on there, and This I Love was a great disappointment considering it was hyped up to be, ‘Estranged 2.’ Still, there are some great moments on there. I just did not expect it to be so uneven.

Don't get me wrong, Springsteen's High Hopes was good, but compared to it's predecessors (Magic, Working On A Dream and Wrecking Ball) it was a step down. Still not really a disappointment though.

It's basically a collection of outtakes. What can you expect really? Still good though.

I don't really like Magic and Working on a Dream. Everything on those two albums sounds completely unremarkable to me, I just snooze through them.

Chinese Democracy

U2 - No Line on the Horizon (terrible album, I hope the new one won't sound anything like it)

The Killers - Battle Born (by far their weakest album)

I did like High Hopes. Not Springsteen's best album, but for a bunch of outtakes it was really good.