Tipping in The United States

UK SUBS

At the end of the day and whether you like it or not you are expected to tip waiters, bartenders etc in the US. It's simply how these people earn a living. The way I think about it is when I'm looking at the menu I'm already adding 15-20% to the cost in my head so it's no big deal. You just factor in the cost of the tip from the beginning. I actually like the tipping system in the US as I do think it leads to genuinely better service in most cases. At least it does in comparison to the UK.

See, I disagree with that last point. Not that the UK service is better than the US one because I have no idea about that but I disagree with the general idea of almost compulsory tipping leading to a better service. If you know that, unless you are the worst bartender in the world, you will get a good tip regardless the way you do your job (a correct service but nothing too remarkable, for example), you don't have any incentive to try to do it even better. However, if the tip is optional and only if you do a really nice job you will get it, that is a good incentive to work harder.

Also, the fact that is almost an obligation to tip means waiters and such will not "be forced" to protest and demand better salary or working conditions and the employer is making a profit that other employers don't make because they have to play full salaries. And it's not like all restaurants and bars are small businesses. There are many big companies with millions in profits that are taking advantage of this custom too.

That said, we know that if they were forced to pay decent salaries, the price of the food and drinks would be higher too, so in the end, it doesn't really matter.

• Like 1

Welp, hasn't happened yet. If it ain't broken, don't fix it :lol:.

Call me cheap all you want, but beers are overpriced as all hell where I go. If you're expectations are set for paying your rent by taking a mere 2.5 seconds opening twist off bottles of shit beer, maybe learn a more useful trade :shrugs:

I've tended and managed bars in the past. It really depends on the type of bar it is. If it's just a local place, I wouldn't mind getting a small tip for a simple beer....even 50 cents was "ok"....because like you said, tipping $1 per beer when the beer only costs $2 can get expensive, really quick...and most bartenders understand that. But getting totally shafted was out of the ordinary.

Beers are $3.50 each at the places I usually go, so I'll usually pay them 4 and let them keep the change. But some people might consider that being cheap, and that's where I just :shrugs: Edited by Bobbo

Welp, hasn't happened yet. If it ain't broken, don't fix it :lol:.

Call me cheap all you want, but beers are overpriced as all hell where I go. If you're expectations are set for paying your rent by taking a mere 2.5 seconds opening twist off bottles of shit beer, maybe learn a more useful trade :shrugs:

I've tended and managed bars in the past. It really depends on the type of bar it is. If it's just a local place, I wouldn't mind getting a small tip for a simple beer....even 50 cents was "ok"....because like you said, tipping $1 per beer when the beer only costs $2 can get expensive, really quick...and most bartenders understand that. But getting totally shafted was out of the ordinary.

Beers are $3.50 each at the places I usually go, so I'll usually pay them 4 and let them keep the change. But some people might consider that being cheap, and that's where I just :shrugs:

If you're throwing down five and only leaving 50 cents, then yah, that's cheap. If all you got is a four singles, then it's a little different. Not ideal from the bartender's perspective, but if the change doesn't provide much of an option, then it's not a huge deal.

I use to think similarly about paying a dollar for someone to simply crack a beer and hand it to me. That is, until I actually worked as a service bartender and later a bartender. You've got to understand that there's more work going on than simply grab and twist. The bartender likely hauled all those beers from one large fridge to the service fridge. If the beer is from the tap, it's the bartender (or his/her support staff, who they will then tip out at the end of the night) who has to run back to the kegs and change them out (which can be a lot of work depending on how a bar is setup) as quickly as possible. If it's a mixed drink, not only is the bartender spending the opening and closing of his/her shift getting everything sorted (booze, mixes, garnishes, napkins, etc), but also making multiple ice runs throughout the evening.

I've worked a wide variety of jobs and I don't think I ever worked harder than as I did as a bartender. You work your fucking ass off. If you don't feel like that level of effort is worth a buck or two then don't gripe when those on the other side of the bar label you as cheap. Quality bartenders and waiters/waitresses go to the establishments where the patrons tip, and tip generously. Tipping poorly at your favourite haunt will not only ensure that those who do provide you with service won't stay, but you'll eventually be left with the dipshits who truly deserve the shitty tips being left. But at that point, my guess would be that you'd complain about the shitty service and go somewhere else.

Dilemma I have is when the service is good/great but the food was shit. I usually end up tipping anyway because I know it's not the server's fault, it is really a service charge and they've done their job well and most likely need the money, but I feel bad for rewarding shitty food.

Worked as a drinks waiter a golf club where tipping was prohibited because it would encourage favouritism :/

Americans often tipped at Starbucks I worked at in St Andrews, very nice of them, sometimes pound coins! Coworkers were happy that I would talk all sorts of random trivia about America to them so that tip jar would fill up :P When I went to coffee places myself I'd usually just throw in loose change from the transaction or that I'd have on me, never really noticed many people doing in in UK, though. Had a few Scottish customers who immediately after handing over money for transaction would have their palm out for the change. Don't worry, I'm not gonna steal your 5p...

Friends who worked at restaurants in St Andrews during summer golf season would sometimes get £50 in tips in one night from generous American golfers. Lucky bastards.

Schoolkids nicked anything that wasn't coppers (1p/2p coins) from the tip jar at the Starbucks I worked at in Shepherd's Bush :/

When I worked as a consultant, the American who helped me get the job told me when he started out he still worked as a waiter on weekends, and made more money from tips that first year than he did from his salary as a junior consultant.

Edited by Amir

At the end of the day and whether you like it or not you are expected to tip waiters, bartenders etc in the US. It's simply how these people earn a living. The way I think about it is when I'm looking at the menu I'm already adding 15-20% to the cost in my head so it's no big deal. You just factor in the cost of the tip from the beginning. I actually like the tipping system in the US as I do think it leads to genuinely better service in most cases. At least it does in comparison to the UK.

See, I disagree with that last point. Not that the UK service is better than the US one because I have no idea about that but I disagree with the general idea of almost compulsory tipping leading to a better service. If you know that, unless you are the worst bartender in the world, you will get a good tip regardless the way you do your job (a correct service but nothing too remarkable, for example), you don't have any incentive to try to do it even better. However, if the tip is optional and only if you do a really nice job you will get it, that is a good incentive to work harder.

That's a nice idea in theory but it's simply not how it works in my experience.

tipping $1 per beer when the beer only costs $2 can get expensive, really quick...

I will gladly pay a total a $3/beer for the rest of my life. I pay about double that around here. FML.

Prices starting from around triple that amount over here :lol:. USA is cheap.

England?

tipping $1 per beer when the beer only costs $2 can get expensive, really quick...

I will gladly pay a total a $3/beer for the rest of my life. I pay about double that around here. FML.

England?

Finland.

That's right. I've always wanted to visit, but no chance with the price of things.

England?
Average price where I live is about $6-$7 I reckon.

Tipping $1 per beer when the beer only costs $2 can get expensive.

Only if you consider $3 to be an expensive round you tight git! :lol:

I will gladly pay a total of $3/beer for the rest of my life. I pay about double that around here. FML.

Relax guys....I was talking about local watering holes where draft beers really do go for around two bucks....they're all over the place where I grew up in Pennsylvania...just ask McCoy.

The best thing to do when ordering beers is to start a tab and then just tip 20% at the end. Case closed. ;)

WHO YOU TELLING TO RELAX KK I'LL FUCKING KILL YOU!!!

England?

$7 is a little steep where I live. Mixed drinks get into that territory. $5-$6 for a pint in about average.

• Like 2

WHO YOU TELLING TO RELAX KK I'LL FUCKING KILL YOU!!!

England?
$7 is a little steep where I live. Mixed drinks get into that territory. $5-$6 for a pint in about average.
Actually considering a US pint is only 16 oz to a UK pint at 20oz it's about the same all things considered. :)

A pint was, £4.50 at the Ashes (you are not allowed to bring your own booze in). That is also, Newcastle Arena prices. That is why it is best to get semi-pissed in the pubs nearby before the concert. I think that was about the same at St James also. You are not talking about something good here either. You are talking about watered down fosters shite.