The Iggy Pop/ Stooges thread

DR DOOM

Guest Len B'stard

The Stooges? Quite simply the greatest American rock n roll band of all time. Bar none, with no even real decent competition in that regard. Their first three albums are absolutely flawless, with Raw Power being probably among the top 3 rock n roll albums ever made, it is THAT perfect, it is totally and utterly without a single note out of place. Just fantastic. Honestly, I could rave on about them all day and it wouldn't be enough. Funhouse is probably one of the most underrated rock n roll albums of all time...and even then it's highly rated...but not as highly as it should be, it's just fan-fucking-tastic. I love that album so much i got my hands on the expanded editon of The Funhouse Sessions...and it's basically like every stick of reel recorded during the Funhouse sessions...and i just listened that bastard into the ground.

As for Iggy unto himself, probably the best out and out frontman ever, if perhaps a step or two behind the likes of Mick Jagger in overall historical importance. Everything about him is perfect and just a really really acute manifestation of that kinda freak-out mentality that he embodies. Probably one of the greatest lyricists i ever fuckin' heard of in my life...and whats crazy about that is by all accounts all the lyrics he writes are right off the top of his head, just totally reeled off.

Really, his solo work, lyrically, deserves so much more respect. Funtime, Dum Dum Boys, Blah Blah Blah, China Girl, Nightclubbing, Lust for Life, these songs have beautiful fucking lyrics. I just love Iggy Pop. He came out with The Stooges and could've spent the rest of his career phoning em in...and the bastard comes out with The Idiot and Lust for Life, it's like WHAT the fuck Iggy?!? What did he call it? I believe he called it an album that sounds like a guy on manic depressive drugs :lol:

The guy was such a fuckin' trailblazer for punk, for post punk, for rock n roll, Iggys just the shit and he occupies an unassailably hallowed space in the pantheon of rock n roll, he's just one of those people that fundamentally understood the power that lies at the core of rock n roll music and knew exactly how and what parts to accentuate and which parts to sharpen and which to minimalise for maximum effect. He's just such a fucking brilliant man in so many ways, God love him.

There's just so much to his fuckin' catalogue...and throughout all this shit and having done so much artistically, he never seems to lose that juvenile quality to his personality that keeps him from disappearing up his own arse like so many.

And like, as a performer? Fuck that, show me the man that can hold a candle to Iggy Pop, even today and the bastards probably pushing 70, show me the fuckin' man that can stand alongside Iggy in that regard, you can't cuz they don't exist. He's kinda like a white mentally ill James Brown with a safety net, his performance is literally without peer, the guy just loses his fucking shit onstage every night and, i dunno, you wanna get into the history and see what he got up to with The Stooges and them? Fuck me, there's mental and then there's life threateningly serious mental. The guy flings himself from one end of the stage to the other like a rag doll, shakes and shiver and quakes like he's losing his mind, as far as like onstage unpredictability? Fuck, no one even compares, no one even belongs in the same building as Iggy Pop.

I'm that into this bastard that I could go song by song through his whole catalogue and write and essay on which each and every last song is brilliant, there is just that much to his work, i see that much in his shit. And all with a weight of serious intellect behind it. To me there is nothing on earth like Iggy Pop, just nothing, not a thing at all.

Oh and major love and respect to Ronnie and Scott, perfect thug foil for Iggy and his wild performances...and James Williamson, and Alexander. Quite simply, he's in my top 5 best of all time and it was a privelige to see The Stooges at Hammersmith, much less play my beloved Raw Power from end to end....even including the rarities of the time like Sick of You, Johanna, Cock in my Pocket, amazing, just amazing.

One of the best live shows I've ever been to was Iggy on his 50th birthday tour. Saw him at Roseland in NYC. By the second song he was a bloody mess after he tried an extra long leap to the mic stand but missed and wound up crashing face first into the amps which also blew the power for a few minutes.

We love Blah Blah Blah :)

Good man.

It's one that I've grown to like a lot more later on, thinking it was a bit gay as a teenager.

Shades should have been a massive hit.

A little bit like you, I used to hunt down and rabidly digest bootlegs like the Igunana series with delight.

Kill City remains one of my favourites, I love the feel of that album.

I have one of those Target Video DVDs of Iggy live in San Fran 79, with Clem Burke on drums and 3 guitarists including Carlos Alomar...fucking awesome show.

Mr Pop has quite the pee pee

That reminds me, I swear some bastard took a wizz in the sauna today.

Big suspicious yellow puddle in there earlier.

'Pee on the ground

And jump around'

-We're All Gonna Die

Edited by Snake-Pit

• 2 weeks later...

I saw Iggy live last year with the Stooges and it was one of the most intense and electric shows I've ever been to. I think the only show I've seen that was more so was Nine Inch Nails earlier this year. But since they're both very different I don't think a comparison is fair. When it comes atmosphere and audience participation though, Iggy wins hands down.

He did that one song where they let anyone jump over the barrier and get up on stage and it was fucking amazing. The guy is astounding, just how much he gets into rocking with his fans and has no fear of getting up close and personal with them. In fact that's when he was most incredible. Sure, he had a bodyguard checking him, but he didn't seem to give a fuck and just did what he wanted to do with everyone on stage. His safety was the bodyguards problem, not his. :lol: This guy has been doing this for a LONG time and I didn't witness any fatigue or blasé attitude whatsoever. This man truly loves music, making it and performing it. He is so lacking pretension or artifice, yet he has been around long enough to warrant it. Let me put that another way, there are bands out there that have achieved success for merely a blip of time in comparison to Iggy, yet they seem to behave in so much more of a conceited manner than Iggy does. He is a true King of punk and rock in general, actually.

This is as close as I got to Iggy last year:

2u555kp.jpg

And I gotta say, I don't know how he does it at 67 years of age! I danced around hard that night but not as hard as Iggy and the next morning my back was ACHING!!!! And I didn't have to sing a thing either! He's amazing!!!!

Edited by Redhead74

First saw Iggy around '82, he was just as amazing as when I saw him in Toronto with the Stooges a couple a few years back.

The fucking guy brings it, decade after decade.

A rock n roll treasure.

• 3 weeks later...

Forgot how obsessed I was with Raw Power and Fun House in my teen years. Damn, revisited these albums recently and they've still got it. And Iggy's records with Bowie are so great, too... "Fall in Love With Me" is one of the most underrated tunes ever.

Word.

Lust For Life is ( as far as I can tell ) a really underrated album, every song is a classic.