Mastodon

eye2eye

One of the greatest bands, ever! To slide in alongside the greats whilst having the whole territory of hard rock, progressive and metal what seems fully mapped out already, that takes some guts and imagination. Versatile as hell! Such unique landscapes, the singing took some getting used to but it's riveting.

Not a bad album and barely a bad song.

THE CZAR is a masterpiece but you can say that for a ton of their stuff.

• Like 2

They are one of my favorite bands. They already were, but their new album launched them even higher. The constant screaming and shouting got me bored, so I'm glad they stepped out of that territory.

I'm sure if they keep this up they'll be remembered as one of the greats.

My thoughts exactly I love Leviathan and older stuff but screaming bored me a little bit and it bored guys from Mastodon as well. They have said that screamin and yelling was probably finished in Mastodon music. One of few bands that haven't released a bad album and improved their playing, songwriting, singing with each record. And I love how unconcered they are with expectations and fashion they just do what they enjoy and are not interested in saving metal etc. All of them play, sing, write together I love how unselfish all of them are.

Great Interview with Troy Sanders http://www.allmusic.com/blog/post/mastodons-troy-sanders-on-the-importance-of-album-art-thin-lizzy-and-gig-ni

I heard Blood And Thunder about 4 years ago and thought, well this is a plentiful helping of awesome and weird, never looked back once I got into Leviathan.

SPLIT YOUR LUNGS WITH BLOOD AND THUNDERRRR WHEN YOU SEE THE WHITE WHALE, BREAK YOUR BACKS AND CRACK YOUR OARS MEN, IF YOU WISH TO PREVAILLLL :headbang:

• Like 1

never really got into them, its been a while so i might have to go back and see if anything clicks for me.

Check out their new album Once More 'Round The Sun or Crack The Skye.

will do, i will start listening to them tonight and i will post my thoughts :lol:

so i did my homework as promised and listened to the crack the skye album, and i thoroughly enjoyed the album from start to finish, i only listened to it once so far, but plan on listening to it again. i think the lyrics on the album are brilliant, my favorite song being a toss up between ghost of karelia and the czar. i wont give it a number review yet since it takes me sometimes 3 or 4 listens to fully get an album but so far im hovering around a 8.5 or so.

• Like 1

ok a little more listening i uptick crack the skye to a 9/10. i then and went and listened to leviathan, which once again i thoroughly enjoyed but i think crack the skye is a bit better.

im glad they went away from their harsh vocals, i dont think they were all that well done, and were more screams than anything. so im sitting on about a 8/10 for leviathan. favorite songs being blood and thunder, hearts alive.

someone mentioned the hunter so that is the next one and then i will listen to their new album.

They are good on CD but they are horrible live. I have seen them 4 times or more and every time, except the first time I saw them when they opened up for Tool in 2006, they were terrible.

Edited by st0n3r

Any fans ? What an amazing band it is. every album can be considered classic and every is so much different. Truly the best metal band of the last 20years and new album is flat out amazing.

They are my fav band currently

Once More Round The Sun is amazing, can't wait for this fall when they release the rest of the material they recorded

Their earliest days they were more like death metal. (Lifesblood EP, Remission) Then from Leviathan they break in! I discover them in 2005 with the Blood and Thunder video and hooked up since!

Blood Mountain is started to be a complex album, Crack the Skye is even more complex they truly fullfilled this territory, brilliant songwriting. They're growing on me, from each album is better than the previous, imo

The Hunter is somewhat easy listening, easily my fav from them (overall album wise) That album is great from start to finish which is a rare thing in nowadays music (esp. in metal)

Edited by Crash Diet

They are good on CD but they are horrible live. I have seen them 4 times or more and every time, except the first time I saw them when they opened up for Tool in 2006, they were terrible.

Having seen them a whole lot of times since the Leviathan tour I can safely say they have been hit or miss in the past, but since crack the skye it's been getting better and better live.

alright finished the last 2 albums this afternoon. the hunter is a more laid back album with shorter tracks. once again another good album that i enjoyed throughout. the definite highlight to me is the closing track the sparrow which is quite beautiful. 8.5 /10

now the last album. i think this might be my favorite mastodon album i have listened to so far. i put this up there with crack the skye. the highlight for me is asleep in the deep, chimes at midnight, diamond in the witch house. 9/10

• Like 1

alright finished the last 2 albums this afternoon. the hunter is a more laid back album with shorter tracks. once again another good album that i enjoyed throughout. the definite highlight to me is the closing track the sparrow which is quite beautiful. 8.5 /10

now the last album. i think this might be my favorite mastodon album i have listened to so far. i put this up there with crack the skye. the highlight for me is asleep in the deep, chimes at midnight, diamond in the witch house. 9/10

After all this time, you're getting into Mastodon. Glad to see it! Welcome. brotha.