Mastodon

eye2eye

According to Apple's iTunes store in Australia, Atlanta progressive metallers MASTODON will release their new studio album, "Emperor Of Sand", on March 31 via Reprise Records.

01. Sultan's Curse
02. Show Yourself
03. Precious Stones
04. Steambreather
05. Roots Remain
06. Word To The Wise
07. Ancient Kingdom
08. Clandestiny
09. Andromeda
10. Scorpion Breath
11. Jaguar God

mastodonemperorofsandcover.jpg

Edited by Silent Jay
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Big News for Mastodon:

Projected first week : 31-34K

Final First Week :

• #6 SPS (with stream) 41.5K copies first week
  • #1 39.5K copies first week

Best numbers for Mastodon ever. Third consecutive top 10.

• Once Around The Sun : #6-34K copies
  • The Hunter : #10-39K copies
  • Crack The Skye : #11-41K copies
  • Blood Mountain : #32-24K copies

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

On 18/08/2017 at 11:28 PM, Zeppelin said:

Saw that earlier. So nice to see that it's actually coming out as a Mastodon project, but I have no idea if it'll be an EP or a full-length project. Either way, more Mastodon is always good!

I think it's going to be far better than Sand, Brent Hinds has enough guts in him to create masterpieces (cf. Crack the Skye).

"Cold Dark Place" will be made available digitally and on CD on September 22 via Reprise Records, followed by the release of a limited-edition ten-inch vinyl picture disc on October 27.

Three of the songs on "Cold Dark Place" — "North Side Star", "Blue Walsh" and "Cold Dark Place" — were recorded during the sessions for MASTODON's 2014 album "Once More 'Round The Sun" and were produced by Nick Raskulinecz. A fourth track, "Toe to Toes", was recorded during the sessions for the band's most recent album, 2017's "Emperor Of Sand", and was produced by Brendan O'Brien.

Those who pre-order "Cold Dark Place" will receive an instant download of the track "Toe to Toes" on September 1.

masto_opener_6.jpg.jpeg?itok=xisb01j7&timestamp=1503921399&c=3184166673d9607ba3af1f22ab660e53

Also, next month MASTODON will appear on the cover of the newly relaunched Revolver magazine. The issue, which hits newsstands on September 12, will be available withfour different covers, each featuring a member of MASTODON. When all four covers are placed together side by side, a single image of the full band, which is Brann Dailor, Brent Hinds, Bill Kelliher and Troy Sanders, is created. As an added bonus, Revolver subscribers will receive an exclusive and very limited-edition seven-inch vinyl single with their paid order. The A-side is the version of "Toe To Toes" that appears on "Cold Dark Place", and the B-side is a previously unreleased instrumental version of the track. The single will be housed in a picture sleeve featuring exclusive artwork by Richey Beckett, who also created the cover image of the "Cold Dark Place" EP.

A behind-the-scenes mini-doc on Beckett and the making of the "Cold Dark Place" cover art can be seen below.

"Cold Dark Place" track listing:

01. North Side Star
02. Blue Walsh
03. Toe to Toes
04. Cold Dark Place

Edited by Silent Jay

I dig toe to toes a lot. brent stuff can be hit or miss but this one is good. Its light for them, but the solo is great. More ethereal/feel and less noodling. I like both

I have to say, I havent found myself returning to Emperor of Sand since it came out. I listened to it a ton and loved it when it did, but when Im in a mastodon mood I dont find myself reaching for it, or at least making it through the whole thing. I still dig OMATS though.  

• 4 months later...