Should Axl have done overdubs for Appetite for Democracy?

Should Axl have done overdubs for Appetite for Democracy?  

116 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I know there are multiple threads about the show, but I wanted to hear about this specific issue and do a poll. Worthy of its own thread, right? At least give me a chance, Russ. :P

So the poll is yes/no, but there's obviously pros and cons to discuss, authenticity vs. quality and such, so I'd love to hear reasons.

I'm leaning toward saying he should have done them. Don't yell at me, Mike420, I admit I've only seen like 5 videos, but based on what I've seen.....ugh.

Edited by magisme

No, because it's a live dvd. I'm sorry if overdubs happen all the time in the business (I don't know if it does), but I want a live dvd to be the real thing, even if that means it's not perfect.

I did a Null Vote and I'll tell you why;

Based on the quality, I don't think the original vocals should have been used. However, the last time Axl's vocals were replaced (Live Era) it was the single worst example of how to do it ever IMO. So while I would love to have much, much, MUCH better vocals on this I'm not sure how it could have been accomplished.

• Like 1

Have you watched it either Nosaj?

Honestly, they've posted some of the worst songs from it on Youtube. I'm not going to sit here and argue with you, but if you haven't seen the whole thing (and let's face it, neither of you ever will) then you're not really in the best position to judge, right?

• Like 3

No. He should have not released that joke of a concert.

Nosaj... PLEASE, please let us Axl fans have something. Plus, can you imagine the backlash and :rofl-lol: if Axl had prevented the release of this ?

Go watch the whole thing and make a judgement. :shrugs:

Send me your username and password. :lol:

Honestly, they've posted some of the worst songs from it on Youtube. I'm not going to sit here and argue with you, but if you haven't seen the whole thing (and let's face it, neither of you ever will) then you're not really in the best position to judge, right?

Who the fuck is neither of you? I've discussed these videos as much as anyone. You're damn straight I'm gonna watch it all, one way or another. I'm not trying to start arguments with this thread, although they're inevitable; this is a legitimate question to discuss. I don't really appreciate your coming in here so hostile.

As usual Axl is doing everything wrong. He re-recorded many parts on Live Era and he shouldn't have, a "bad" performance from 1992 is still better than re-recorded vocals in 1999.

But with this Appetite for Democracy thing he obviously should have done overdubs, just listen to SCOM...

But yeah the thing shouldn't even have been released in the first place.

• Like 1

Right? :lol:

I'm not just saying it for the sake of it - this was a good show, and I was pleasantly surprised to hear he was better overall than I expected.

Was it perfect? No. Were there bad moments? Sure... but watching the whole thing, start to finish - I thought Axl sounded really good. Especially considering it wasn't a great period for him vocally. Go watch Nightrain or something instead, it's a million times better.

Yes. Almost all concert cds/dvds have overdubs. This was not a historic show in its own right, just a latter day Guns show. It should be the best possible representation of that. I have no problem with second takes. It's a movie.

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/207864-%e2%98%ac-your-opinions-reviews-and-general-thoughts-on-the-performancesoundvisuals-in-appetite-for-democracy-3d-concert-release-%e2%98%ac/?p=3793600

I have watched all the videos available plus Paradise City. I will never buy it but yes, I will definitely watch it. The whole concert is or was? available on YouTube, not in pro-shot, of course. So yeah, I have an idea of how bad this show is.

Some songs he can go raspier than others.Some not at all. I don't think he could make them sound better in a studio either, its just how it is for his voice on those songs.

A better question would be, Should they have released a completion of the tour and missed those songs out? but since those are GNR's biggest hits, it would be hard to convince Universal to drop them.

what I will say is I expected Used to Love Her be full mickey, but it wasn't at all, and as a whole for a post 2010 voice this is Axls stronger shows.

Edited by Axl_morris

No. He should have not released that joke of a concert.

Nosaj... PLEASE, please let us Axl fans have something. Plus, can you imagine the backlash and :rofl-lol: if Axl had prevented the release of this ?

It's not that Axl should have not released anything but he had better moments in prior years with the same line-up and that would have worked 10000 times better.

I could imagine that people laughing at the cancellation of the release would have been less than the actual people laughing at how bad Axl sounds (and there are more to come with the official release of the blu-ray). It's out there, you know? I read some comments on YouTube and even I felt bad about it.

I would agree that (with the exception of the end of YCBM), all those songs were average -> bad performances. Better isn't great either and neither is Rocket Queen.

The rest alternated between good and really good for me, some of it I'd even say was awesome. I think it just goes to show you're likely to project whatever impression you had carrying into it when you watch the final product though - going both ways. :P

Where's Nightrain? I haven't seen that yet. And I'm not even saying they would have had to do overdubs on every song. Jungle and CD sound fine. Leave them alone. But YCBM, SCOM and NR are terrible.

instead of posting about the show, why don't you go and buy it now? Shops are open, get down there, then tell us what you think of Nightrain. I know I would be if it it were released in my country.

I would agree that (with the exception of the end of YCBM), all those songs were average -> bad performances. Better isn't great either and neither is Rocket Queen.

The rest alternated between good and really good for me, some of it I'd even say was awesome. I think it just goes to show you're likely to project whatever impression you had carrying into it when you watch the final product though - going both ways. :P

Except your way is the gay way.

Guest Gunns

This is Gnr

They have the pick of the litter, yet they serve up substandard performance for the general public to judge them on.

There is no logic here. I've heard every song from this release and as a whole, I'm disappointed, however I'm not surprised as I'm a fan and knew ahead of time that Axls performance during this residency wasn't great.

It's a shame that the first DVD release from the band in a few decades has to be one that introduces the band to the general public with a performance that is no where near what Axl was capable in the few years earlier.

That my friends, is the saddest part for this. The band could have released a great 2006/09/10 show and the general public would have been in awe from the performance. Instead the only thing we hope they can be in awe of is the gimmicky 3D or ashbas boring antics!

Edited by Gunns
  • Like 1

Where's Nightrain? I haven't seen that yet. And I'm not even saying they would have had to do overdubs on every song. Jungle and CD sound fine. Leave them alone. But YCBM, SCOM and NR are terrible.

instead of posting about the show, why don't you go and buy it now? Shops are open, get down there, then tell us what you think of Nightrain. I know I would be if it it were released in my country.

Lots of reasons why I'm not running out to buy it, most of which I've discussed and are generally the same reasons others here have decided against it.

To be fair, with the exception of the Vegas shows this year (and even then really), songs like SCOM and YCBM have always sounded rough since 2006 and 2010.

People would have bitched whether or not he did overdubs, honestly :shrugs: There are other performances through this concert that sound pretty good, Nightrain especially, and even Jungle sounds good which was a bit of hit-or-miss around that time.

Can we aim a little higher for ourselves than saying we all came in here with predetermined opinions? I feel like that just completely stifles discussion. Sure, it's probably true for like 1-2 people, but it's not for most, on either side. Have we forgotten the last few days of the residency already?

I mean, I said Jungle and CD were fine. Come on.

Edited by magisme

Lots of reasons why I'm not running out to buy it, most of which I've discussed and are generally the same reasons others here have decided against it.

you paid 2-3 times the price of the blu ray to see Axl at the Brooklyn Bowl, knowing the standards he had in 2012/13. How would you justify that?

Edited by Axl_morris

And is anyone gonna tell me where Nightrain is? Assholes.

you paid 2-3 times the price of the blu ray to see Axl at the Brooklyn Bowl, knowing the standards he had in 2012/13. How would you justify that?

I wanted to see him at Brooklyn Bowl. I don't want to own this. It's not about the money. I could prove that to you if I weren't so humble. :)