Lionel Messi is impossible (in-depth analysis)

GivenToFly

Actually a section of that article shows that he improves Barcelona's playing more than anyone else improves their own team (Zlatan is a distant second). And yes, his stats for Argentina used to be a lot worse than for Barcelona, but it says that over the past four years the stats have been converging, as in he's fast on his way to becoming as valuable to his national team as he is for his club.

Listen, footballers have a lifespan. He has one more world cup left where he will be 31. This simply has to be his competition if we are going to compare him to Maradona as, attacking player usually peaks around 24-27. Messi is 27.

Aged 27 Maradona had set the world alight in the 1986 world cup. Pele already had two world cup medals to his name, stamping his authority on the 1958 world cup as a 17 year old. Now, Messi's first two W.Cs were poor (in fairness, so was Maradona's first world cup). This world cup he has saved his team with wonder goals, but his team look poor and he is not getting the service to really stamp his authority in a way that Maradona did in '86 and Messi himself does in a Barca shirt. People always say that, 'Maradona single handed won the world cup in 86' but people forget that Maradona had good players around him, strong defenders - hatchet men who would take your legs off - like Ruggeri and Batista - a goal scorer in Valdano. Messi is surrounded by, as far as I can see, shit. (Pele of course was simply, one genius of a team of geniuses).

Messi does not need to make it work. His team mates and manager do. But time is running out.

• Like 1

Pele didn't even played in Europe.

I always wondered why that was, because looking at Santos' record against European teams, it's not like he had anything to fear from European defenses. Legally at least.

Having said that, the way Portugal treated at the 66 World Cup probably would make anyone think twice about playing there.

Pele didn't even played in Europe.

I always wondered why that was, because looking at Santos' record against European teams, it's not like he had anything to fear from European defenses. Legally at least.

Having said that, the way Portugal treated at the 66 World Cup probably would make anyone think twice about playing there.

That was the golden age of South American club football. In those days, the clubs could actually retain their players as opposed to seeing them bugger off to Europe at the first opportunity.

I do not think he is - Pele, Maradonna level (as hyped up) - but he is not far off. Better in a Barca shirt mind. His Argie teammates are cack though. Di Maria there - you need a Tia Maria after seeing his passing display. Then there is that dick with the ponytail. Just a bunch of dicks basically. Hopeless tactics, fluffed passes, no desire - if I was an Argie, which I am not (because I do not look like an caveman cum Iron Maiden fan), I would be very worried.

Messi carries the team.

Maradona is the Axl Rose of soccer.

Pele debutó con un pibe.

And you, YOU LTA!

:rofl-lol: