Happy Independence Day, USA! 4th of July 2014 (The Real 4th of July Thread)

Ace Nova

So this is basically 'THE' American holiday? as far as tradition goes or are there others?

and what is up with you guys not being able to buy certain fireworks? how do you celebrate new years eve over there, honestly wondering?

<3 my home. Happy birthday.

Being American is like being the cool kid in high school, except worldwide and for your whole life.

Australia's better.
And just like in high school, the dorks have delusions of grandeur.
All I know is that when I type "Australia's" on my phone, the predictive text suggests leading as the next word. Says it all, really. :D

My uncle is a fireman so we always get the good stuff.

Is that some sort of euphemism? :lol:

Being American is like being the cool kid in high school, except worldwide and for your whole life.

Seems you haven't travelled much worldwide :D
:lol:

I have actually. I've not had a single bad experience that was due to my being American. I've found that if you don't act like a complete asshole - you know, the way dumbass Brit stag parties act - the whole "everyone hates Americans" thing is complete nonsense. If anything it's the opposite. That said, I'm not hopping a plane to Kabul any time soon.

I have actually. I've not had a single bad experience that was due to my being American. I've found that if you don't act like a complete asshole - you know, the way dumbass Brit stag parties act - the whole "everyone hates Americans" thing is complete nonsense. If anything it's the opposite. That said, I'm not hopping a plane to Kabul any time soon.

Yeah, some places you are heroes, other places you are villains.

I've been traveling for the better part of 35 years now and the view of Americans has changed quite a bit in that period of time. Like Mags said, as long as you don't go around acting like Captain America, most people I've come across respect you...although we're not the super heroes we were 30 years ago.

When I was younger, (20 - 30 years ago) as soon as I would say I was American (in certain foreign cities, etc.) it would almost instantaneously catapult me to celebrity status....it's not quite like that anymore. :lol:

<3 my home. Happy birthday.Being American is like being the cool kid in high school, except worldwide and for your whole life.

:lol:I have actually. I've not had a single bad experience that was due to my being American. I've found that if you don't act like a complete asshole - you know, the way dumbass Brit stag parties act - the whole "everyone hates Americans" thing is complete nonsense. If anything it's the opposite. That said, I'm not hopping a plane to Kabul any time soon.

It's not even that stark, though. Like Paris, for instance. The French hate Americans, right? And you'd better watch out if you try to speak English to them, right? No. Wrong. Parisians are lovely. Show that you value their hospitality and culture and they'll treat you with good humor and respect.

It's not even that stark, though. Like Paris, for instance. The French hate Americans, right? And you'd better watch out if you try to speak English to them, right? No. Wrong. Parisians are lovely. Show that you value their hospitality and culture and they'll treat you with good humor and respect.

Exactly right. I found the entire, "French don't like Americans" to be completely inaccurate when I was there. As a matter of fact, one family went out of their way to help us when we were completely lost...even giving us a map when we were on the bus....and the man did his best to speak English to us when he realized that we were Americans and didn't know a word of French. Totally changed my view on the French forever.

• Like 1

During the 1920s, Americans were loathed in France to the extent that there were lynch mobs against stray American tourists. Firstly. America called in her European war loans - $10 billion - despite the fact that Europe had used those loans to buy American products (so America benefited twice). Secondly, there was a widely held conspiracy theory in France, that the Americans had withheld crucial meteorological information which would have benefited the Nungesser-Coli mission. Thirdly, Dempsey defeated Carpentier. So buses of American tourists were attack with stones. Read Bill Bryson's 1927 if you want more information.

During the 1920s, Americans were loathed in France to the extent that there were lynch mobs against stray American tourists. Firstly. America called in her European war loans - $10 billion - despite the fact that Europe had used those loans to buy American products (so America benefited twice). Secondly, there was a widely held conspiracy theory in France, that the Americans had withheld crucial meteorological information which would have benefited the Nungesser-Coli mission. Thirdly, Dempsey defeated Carpentier. So buses of American tourists were attack with stones. Read Bill Bryson's 1927 if you want more information.

America didn't have to help, and doesn't have to choose sides.

Not in Europe, when France and England were forcing America too.

The Monroe Doctrine of 1823 states that America's domain is the new world, not the old, and doesn't have to get swept up by European politics if they don't want to.

They also used it to lay claim and build the Panama Canal.

Edited by Snake-Pit

<3 my home. Happy birthday.Being American is like being the cool kid in high school, except worldwide and for your whole life.

:lol:I have actually. I've not had a single bad experience that was due to my being American. I've found that if you don't act like a complete asshole - you know, the way dumbass Brit stag parties act - the whole "everyone hates Americans" thing is complete nonsense. If anything it's the opposite. That said, I'm not hopping a plane to Kabul any time soon.

It's like that everywhere, we are all individuals. But some places will tend to be slanted against or for certain nationalities.

The Monroe Doctrine of 1823 states that America's domain is the new world, not the old, and doesn't have to get swept up by European politics if they don't want to.

But they did help. They lent Europe $10 billion and became belligerent in 1917. The issue does not concern American isolationism: the issue concerns, America calling in her loads, post bellum. As Europe had used those same loans in America, Europe found it, hypocritical, morally questionable and a little bit greedy.

But they did help. They lent Europe $10 billion and became belligerent in 1917. The issue does not concern American isolationism: the issue concerns, America calling in her loads, post bellum. As Europe had used those same loans in America, Europe found it, hypocritical, morally questionable and a little bit greedy.

They helped, because they wanted to.

And anyway, war is business.

I thought you knew that.

Ehh, yes.

Also - I repeat - there is the conspiracy theory regarding Nungesser-Coli and the fact that, Dempsey thumped France's top boxer, Carpentier (who incidentally, was popular with the ladies). Also, France was appalled at the Sacco-Vanzetti case to such an extent, that a bomb was sent to Herrick, the US Ambassador. It was a very poor period in Franco-American relations, the 1920s.

Edited by DieselDaisy