SLASH featuring Myles Kennedy & The Conspirators Tour 2014 / 2015

batman007

On 04/04/2016 at 7:11 AM, bacardimayne said:

The Conspirators opening for GNR with Slash pulling double-duty would be pretty cool, even if a bit masturbatory.

It would be a great oppotunity to Slash to show his own carrear to more public

The opening show could be only SMKC´s  songs.  

I can't see PC going as a closer, neither can I see SCOM leaving the set. Would be nice if Nightrain remained, but beyond those 3, yeah, I think it should/will be more focused on Slash's non-GNR efforts.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2016 at 8:50 AM, Kelmi said:

Oh menn!! I fucking miss Slash & Myles Kennedy and Conspirators!

I hear that.. NEVER in a million years did I think that seeing a Guns N' Roses "reunion would make me miss these guys so much.  The band sound more like Gun N' Roses than Guns N' Roses does. Imagine taking Axl sounding the way he does with AC/DC and plugging him in this band? It would sound so fucking killer.

• Like 2

On 4/24/2016 at 1:32 AM, Amir said:

I wonder how many GNR songs Slash will play with the Conspirators now? Will he be tired of playing them with GNR or will he want to play more?

I wonder the same thing.  After seeing Gn'R 2016's renditions of some of these songs I am really looking forward to seeing this band do them again. Especially Rocket Queen...

On 4/24/2016 at 11:01 AM, Free Bird said:

Will he draw as many people as he did in his last tour without GNR tunes? 

The Conspirators and Slash have enough of their own songs that people wanna hear at their shows, but most likely the audience'll be dissapointed completely without GNR songs in the set list. 

Hardcore fans will be happy to hear more deep cuts from Snakepit, VR or even from the self-titled but the casual fan will not. Haha

I'm a hardcore Slash fan but I want to see him play as many Gn'R tunes as possible. I like all his stuff but the Gn'R songs consist of most of the highlights for me. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I'm a hardcore Slash fan but I want to see him play as many Gn'R tunes as possible. I like all his stuff but the Gn'R songs consist of most of the highlights for me. 

I'd be satisfied if they play Nightrain, SCOM and Paradise City.

Nightrain is my absolutely favorite song and the other two are part of the perfect ending of their shows. 

I'm happy for every other GNR tune in the setlist but I could totally understand if they do their own shit.

19 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

I'd be satisfied if they play Nightrain, SCOM and Paradise City.

Nightrain is my absolutely favorite song and the other two are part of the perfect ending of their shows. 

I'm happy for every other GNR tune in the setlist but I could totally understand if they do their own shit.

Rocket Queen is probably my favorite Gn'R tune and always the highlight of the show for me.  I especially want them to keep it after being subjected to the terrible renditions GnR2016 is handing out.

38 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Rocket Queen is probably my favorite Gn'R tune and always the highlight of the show for me.  I especially want them to keep it after being subjected to the terrible renditions GnR2016 is handing out.

You're right. Rocket Queen is phenomenal. 

54 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

You're right. Rocket Queen is phenomenal. 

It was the song I was most looking forward to seeing Axl/Slash and Duff do together again and it has been one of the biggest disappointments of the tour. Frank and Fortus ruin it and Axl hasn't sounded good on it.

5 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I hear that.. NEVER in a million years did I think that seeing a Guns N' Roses "reunion would make me miss these guys so much.  The band sound more like Gun N' Roses than Guns N' Roses does. Imagine taking Axl sounding the way he does with AC/DC and plugging him in this band? It would sound so fucking killer.

Ok. So for me, it has always been about Axl..never even cared to check out Slash with this band..but..but..I just now listened to Anastasia for the first time and it is brilliant, just brilliant. Axl singing this song as he is right now, with that absolutely beautiful guitar from Slash? Yes please. Yes. It WOULD be killer.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I hear that.. NEVER in a million years did I think that seeing a Guns N' Roses "reunion would make me miss these guys so much. 

I said similar after the Troubadour show. I can appreciate and enjoy GNR and this reunion, but it's given me a new found love/respect for SMKC. Though I'm fine with Myles, but I know many others don't like his voice.

As much as I love GN'R, I'm with you guys in missing SMKC too. Also agree about Todd and Brent playing the GN'R stuff.

For me, the only good thing about the reformed GN'R going on hiatus is that we get to hear SMKC again.

Edited by thunderram

I'm in fuLL GNR mode. GNR shows and new music should obviously take priority. We have not been starved for SMK material or shows so a hiatus is welcome for me.

Love them though and when they play next I hope most GNR songs are dropped for their own music or more Snakepit

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Babooshka said:

I said similar after the Troubadour show. I can appreciate and enjoy GNR and this reunion, but it's given me a new found love/respect for SMKC. Though I'm fine with Myles, but I know many others don't like his voice.

I have wanted nothing more in music than a Gn'R reunion since they disbanded.  A real reunion.. One that would make me forget about SMKC. Not a continuation of the Axl Rose show featuring sporty spice.. Not a fan of the the line up. Doesn't even matter if Izzy, Steven, Matt or Gilby are or not as long as it sounded good and I just don't think it does. Slash doesn't even sound good with this lineup.. They aren't doing the songs justice they deserve. I can hardly make it though a whole song on you tube without shutting it off. Meanwhile I watched every song the Axl/DC show at least at least once.. 

I can take or leave Myles.. He is better at some songs than others.

13 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I have wanted nothing more in music than a Gn'R reunion since they disbanded.  A real reunion.. One that would make me forget about SMKC. Not a continuation of the Axl Rose show featuring sporty spice.. Not a fan of the the line up. Doesn't even matter if Izzy, Steven, Matt or Gilby are or not as long as it sounded good and I just don't think it does. Slash doesn't even sound good with this lineup.. They aren't doing the songs justice they deserve. I can hardly make it though a whole song on you tube without shutting it off.

Man, you sure are a tough nut to crack, Tom :)

I've been a hardcore fan of the band since '87 and have seen/heard so many different shows that I lost count a long time ago. While I fully admit that it is different, I just can't see how any hardcore, old school fan could believe that it sounds bad. I get that some might believe that it isn't as good as 85-93 era -- but terrible? I just don't get it.

And, yes, I do agree with you about the drumming. Steven and Matt were much better, especially on songs like RQ. But I guess that just isn't the deal breaker for me that it is for you.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing or ridiculing your opinion. I respect it. I just don't get it. Not to the harsh degree, anyway.

13 minutes ago, thunderram said:

Man, you sure are a tough nut to crack, Tom :)

I've been a hardcore fan of the band since '87 and have seen/heard so many different shows that I lost count a long time ago. While I fully admit that it is different, I just can't see how any hardcore, old school fan could believe that it sounds bad. I get that some might believe that it isn't as good as 85-93 era -- but terrible? I just don't get it.

And, yes, I do agree with you about the drumming. Steven and Matt were much better, especially on songs like RQ. But I guess that just isn't the deal breaker for me that it is for you.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing or ridiculing your opinion. I respect it. I just don't get it. Not to the harsh degree, anyway.

I don't think it is "terrible" but it just isn't great and yes at times bad. It was great to see Slash/Axl and Duff onstage but the I think the quality of the actual songs is underwhelming. I just watched Anastasia from Sydney and it blows away what GnR are doing. That isn't even a GnR song but it seems to capture the GnR vibe more than Guns are right now. I watch them and just get turned off by either Frank, Fortus or Axl's voice by the end of it. Even when they are all sounding good the tempos seem way too fast and the vibe of the song is just lost. And Slash even seems off with this band. He was playing the best guitar of his life before this tour and its like WTF happened? 

They are best at some of the Illusions songs but even November Rain is played stupid fast. It's just weird. The Appetite and LIES songs forget it... 

The elements that sound different are very NuGnR to me due to Fortus and Frank and I hate it. Hated NuGnR.. This might work better for people who were fans of that crap I guess.

All good, I don't take it as criticism or ridicule at all but I appreciate you expressing that. 

Also a hardcore fan since 87.. I even have GnR ink... I just know they could and should be way better than this. Part of me says that they are only 6 shows into it and need to shake off the cobwebs and build chemistry. Part of me says they should have done that before the tour. Part of me says it is useless because Frank and Fortus will always sound like crap. I don't care how long they have been in the band.. They are just hired hands and Slash and Duff are back. They should do some homework and try and play the songs truer to their original forms. They shouldn't treat it as NuGnR anymore.

I just hope something changes

Hi guys. I'm not a big poster but I read it a lot.  Like most I've been geeked about all this since the moment I saw the clip of Slash saying he and Axl were cool again, and dreaming of this since the day MTV announced Slash quit 20 yrs ago. So it finally comes and I'm generally positive. I bought tix to the first Vegas show but sold. Seeing them in Orlando. I'm a gigantic Slash fan too. Follow him almost religiously. What I've been telling all my friends and family (when they don't tell me to get a life) about this reunion is that Slash and Duff are better than ever. Slash in particular. As you all know, check out any pro shot video of SMKC in 2015. Pinkpop, RockAm, any of them. They are KILLER with their originals but fng amazing on the Guns tunes.  I've been assuming that the band would sound the same and this would all be a question of how good Axl sounds.  God love Myles, and I'm fine with him on their original stuff, but I just can't get past him on some of the Guns tunes.   

But I've noticed what you're talking about!  Something is off.  I can't stand Axl singing over Slash's intro in Paradise, and why the fuck do they need two piano/keys???  Why does Fortus look like a 14 yr old over pretending to be a rock star???  Calm down dipshit.  Even Slash. Am I the only one cringing at these Jungle intros????  I hated it when DJ did it, but Slash is even botching what DJ did.  I know live they can't replicate the original perfectly but with the Conspirators it sounded great.  Even in SCOM during his little fills he's like putting vibrato in places where none EVER existed. 

Like you, I just feel fulfilled that I'm getting a chance to at least see Slash and Axl again.  I feel guilty about being a little bummed.  But fuck!  Come on!  If Slash's band can nail these songs why can't these guys?  And what the fuck is up with Axl????  He was fng amazing with AC/DC!!!!  I'll take him (not really) over Johnson any day. I saw them last year and Johnson was toast then.  

I've always known that Izzy was the epicenter of their song craft.  I really wish he'd have been in on this.  But I sort of figured, well, Fortus will be fine as long as I don't have to look at him swinging his guitar around. And how much difference does a drummer make?  Apparently a lot.  

I hope someone they respect has enough integrity and balls to tell them they're selling themselves short with this cutesie shit. And it's not like it's not there to take. Axl is rounding into shape better than anyone imagined. And Slash has been on POINT for the last couple years in particular.  Go out and crush this thing! Fuck!

Edited by pumpkinfarthrh

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

I don't think it is "terrible" but it just isn't great and yes at times bad. It was great to see Slash/Axl and Duff onstage but the I think the quality of the actual songs is underwhelming. I just watched Anastasia from Sydney and it blows away what GnR are doing. That isn't even a GnR song but it seems to capture the GnR vibe more than Guns are right now. I watch them and just get turned off by either Frank, Fortus or Axl's voice by the end of it. Even when they are all sounding good the tempos seem way too fast and the vibe of the song is just lost. And Slash even seems off with this band. He was playing the best guitar of his life before this tour and its like WTF happened? 

They are best at some of the Illusions songs but even November Rain is played stupid fast. It's just weird. The Appetite and LIES songs forget it... 

The elements that sound different are very NuGnR to me due to Fortus and Frank and I hate it. Hated NuGnR.. This might work better for people who were fans of that crap I guess.

All good, I don't take it as criticism or ridicule at all but I appreciate you expressing that. 

Also a hardcore fan since 87.. I even have GnR ink... I just know they could and should be way better than this. Part of me says that they are only 6 shows into it and need to shake off the cobwebs and build chemistry. Part of me says they should have done that before the tour. Part of me says it is useless because Frank and Fortus will always sound like crap. I don't care how long they have been in the band.. They are just hired hands and Slash and Duff are back. They should do some homework and try and play the songs truer to their original forms. They shouldn't treat it as NuGnR anymore.

I just hope something changes

Fair enough. And I do concur with some of the things you addressed here.

To help understand my POV, I should probably state that when I first got into the band in '87 -- I was an uber Axl fan. He was the star of the band to me and could do no wrong. I didn't even mind the tantrums, rants or tardiness, as that was part of the fun and appeal for me. These guys just danced to the beat of their own drum and Axl was the epitome of that.

But things changed for me around 1993 as I started learning to play guitar. I'd always been huge fan of Slash and his sound (Slash and Stevie Ray Vaughan are my all time favs), but it just went to a new level as I became more of a player. Then, when all the events from 1994 - 1997 occurred, I just defected to Slash's side as he was still playing and Axl/GN'R was doing nothing. I saw Slash play as often as I could. Snakepit, Blues Ball, VR, etc. When the GN'R CD songs started to leak out, I was intrigued and still an Axl fan but it never hit for me as Slash's music did. Didn't care for any of the guitarists that Axl hired. They weren't Slash. Conversely, none of the vocalists that played with Slash were Axl. Something was just missing from both (although I did like Rod Jackson and now Myles Kennedy).

The point of the above is that I've been much more a fan of Slash's bands than Axl's bands. So I agree with most of the things you've said. But, in the end, the most important thing to me is having Axl and Slash back together. As long as those 2 are on stage, I'm good. Adding Duff makes things a notch or two better, as would Izzy, Steven or Matt. But not having them wasn't ever a deal breaker for me. That said, I would be in heaven if we could get the original 5 back together or even the UYI lineup with Izzy/Matt.

So, in summary, you and I are on the same page regarding Slash's band. I'm much more a fan of those guys than Axl's hired Guns.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

You bastard.. That's the only one I missed.. I have a bootleg DVD at least lol

HAHA. Yeah, it was a pretty cool gig. JAN 1997 at The Edge nightclub in Palo Alto, CA. First time I ever met the top hatted one. In fact, at every single show I've ever been to, sans VR or GN'R, Slash has always come off his tour bus to meet and greet fans. It's one of the many things I dig about him. Anyway, I don't recall everything they played that night, but Teddy "Zig Zag" Andreadis handled most the vocals and they did songs such as Magic Carpet Ride, Superstition, Hoochie Coochie Man and Night Prowler. I recall Slash teasing the crowd with the intro to My Michelle but then said there's no way they're playing it! I don't think there was more than 600-700 people in attendance.

I once saw Snakepit at the tiny Phoenix Theatre in Petaluma, CA. I don't think there was 300 people there. It was crazy. Easily the most intimate show I've ever been to.

I have a bootleg video of one of the Rod Jackson Snakepit shows hidden somewhere in my collection. One of these days I'll try to dig it up and transfer it to DVD and maybe I could get you to trade me a copy of that Blues Ball show you got. I'd love to re-live that set.

Edited by thunderram
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, thunderram said:

I once saw Snakepit at the tiny Phoenix Theatre in Petaluma, CA. I don't think there was 300 people there. It was crazy. Easily the most intimate show I've ever been to.

Yeah I saw the second Snakepit at a tiny beach type bar in Hyannis MA. I actually met him that night for the first time which is a pretty funny story in itself. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/8/2016 at 7:19 PM, Whiskey Rose said:

Ok. So for me, it has always been about Axl..never even cared to check out Slash with this band..but..but..I just now listened to Anastasia for the first time and it is brilliant, just brilliant. Axl singing this song as he is right now, with that absolutely beautiful guitar from Slash? Yes please. Yes. It WOULD be killer.

Check this shit out ;)

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...