The Strain

Zint

I have the first two books waiting on my nightstand, so I don't know anything about the plot, but yeah, I'm really looking forward to this. The trailer made me really excited. Anything that makes vampires scary again is a good thing.

Edited by jekylhyde

I think this show is going to blow all the other vampire shows away. I can't wait to watch it.

It begins on Sunday, July 13 with a 90 minute first episode. IT's going to be on FX so I'm sure the whole show will be awesome and nothing will be held back.

I read two different reviews. One bad and one good. I will dvr the show tonight and see if it's worth watching all through the season. It looks good, but one review said it was kind of confusing and slow. Sometimes it takes a show awhile to get going, so we'll see.

Okay, watched it last night and really liked it a lot.

The whole worm thing freaks me out because I really hate all kinds of worms.

Anyway, once I saw that coffin with those images on it and then the dirt, I was like, vampire! I just don't know why it didn't dawn on anyone? I know there aren't supposed to be supernatural beings in the world, but to me, coffin with dirt and people drained of their blood = vampires to me.

Okay, now didn't the airline guy hear something when the other guys were packing the coffin up? Isn't that why he went into the back and then was killed by the head vampire. I think that guy might have been a vampire hunter like the old guy from Harry Potter. I don't think he's going to be able to kill that leader by himself.

Sean Astin being a trader wasn't a surprise. Boy when he finds out what he let out of the airport, won't he be shocked.

I assume the old guy brought the vampire over because he wants to live forever.

I felt bad for the little girl. I can't imagine losing a child and then seeing her come back. You know she will bite her dad and spread it from him. It looks way gross when these people start to change over from human to vampire.

Seeing what happens to the bodies once the are drained was pretty gross too. Anyway, the scenes from the season look to be awesome. I liked the suspense in the show too. The vampire special effects were way cool. All I know is that when the shit hits the fan, all hell is going to break loose. I mean NYC is a pretty crazy city to begin with and with people turning into blood thirsty vampires, it's going to be even crazier.

Yeah, that's so true. They should have had something on. I thought that was weird too.

but come on, all those weird symbols and coming from Germany and dirt inside and no one thought vampires or something very strange about it?

I guess they will figure it out once they find the dead medical examiner or what's left of him? I wonder if those new vampires got out of the morgue without being seen? Cant wait for Sunday.

Yeah, that's so true. They should have had something on. I thought that was weird too.

but come on, all those weird symbols and coming from Germany and dirt inside and no one thought vampires or something very strange about it?

I guess they will figure it out once they find the dead medical examiner or what's left of him? I wonder if those new vampires got out of the morgue without being seen? Cant wait for Sunday.

I think the characters are being approached from a "vampires don't exist in the real world" angle, and have yet to believe or be convinced.

Tell me someone else caught the Harry Potter Easter-egg with the old guy :lol:

Episode 2 was a bit of a slow burner, but it's clearly building to bigger things.

(what was the Easter egg?) :drevil:

I don't know the first thing about Harry Potter so I'm curious as well.

Silly mistake on my end, so not exactly the easter-egg I thought.

The actor that plays the old man was in the Harry Potter movies, and I thought he played the librarian because earlier in the 2000's when I played one of the video games there was a level when you had to avoid him in the library :lol: He actually plays the caretaker. So, my bad.

Whatever. :lol:

Those worms still freak me out.

Well, I guess those dead people who killed the coroner got out of the lab. That little girl is so creepy. She killed her dad. She reminded me of a alligator the way she was sitting in her bathtub.

Anyway, that "master" vampire is way creepy and that was just from the back.

This show is only going to get more crazy as the weeks go on.

Finally caught up with both episodes yesterday.

I enjoyed it much for what it is, which is campy horror in the vein of del Toro's early work. I have seen reviewers criticize the characters/backstories and to an extent I agree (the whole alcoholic father estranged from his kid thing, the ex-wife, all that is a bit of predictable filler at this point) but that's also ignoring that I think some of it is purposeful. They're not trying to reinvent the wheel here. Del Toro is just giving us an old-fashioned horror tale with a modern twist, not unlike Cronos.

Speaking of which, I loved the homage to Cronos in the second episode where the rock star starts lapping up blood off the floor, which was basically a remake of the bathroom scene in Cronos.

So yeah, I'm enjoying it a lot so far. I don't know if certain people's expectations were just too high or what, but I find it entertaining.