Billy Joel

dalsh327

One of the greatest all time songwriters. Honesty, My Life, Innocent Man, River of Dreams, New York State of Mind, Lullabye, She's Always a Woman to Me, Miami 2017, Say Goodbye to Hollywood... And those are just some of the songs off the top of my head.

You can call him schmaltz, a lounge act, but his songs and melodies will live on for as long as people listen to recorded music. He's someone who understands that hooks and melodies matter and is responsible for some of the best ever written. Whereas Elton depended on Bernie to write his lyrics for him, Joel wrote his own. Something to be said for that (though, musically I'm more inclined to tip my hat to Elton, but vocally I prefer Billy).

Plus he seems like a guy you'd like to be friends with. He strikes me as a funny and interesting individual who enjoys the perks of his success but never takes himself or the fame too seriously.

I saw him for the first time last year and I thought the concert was fantastic. Really delivered. I'd definitely see him again if and when he comes back to Toronto. Wanted to see him in NYC at MSG last year as well but tickets were sold out and wasn't prepared to spend a grand on a pair of tickets through the secondary market.

There was a great write up and interview about Joel in the New Yorker from a few months ago. If you're a fan, I highly recommend checking it out: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/10/27/thirty-three-hit-wonder

• Like 2

One of the greatest all time songwriters. Honesty, My Life, Innocent Man, River of Dreams, New York State of Mind, Lullabye, She's Always a Woman to Me, Miami 2017, Say Goodbye to Hollywood... And those are just some of the songs off the top of my head.

You can call him schmaltz, a lounge act, but his songs and melodies will live on for as long as people listen to recorded music. He's someone who understands that hooks and melodies matter and is responsible for some of the best ever written. Whereas Elton depended on Bernie to write his lyrics for him, Joel wrote his own. Something to be said for that (though, musically I'm more inclined to tip my hat to Elton, but vocally I prefer Billy).

Plus he seems like a guy you'd like to be friends with. He strikes me as a funny and interesting individual who enjoys the perks of his success but never takes himself or the fame too seriously.

I saw him for the first time last year and I thought the concert was fantastic. Really delivered. I'd definitely see him again if and when he comes back to Toronto. Wanted to see him in NYC at MSG last year as well but tickets were sold out and wasn't prepared to spend a grand on a pair of tickets through the secondary market.

There was a great write up and interview about Joel in the New Yorker from a few months ago. If you're a fan, I highly recommend checking it out: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/10/27/thirty-three-hit-wonder

I heard he'd stopped touring for a while, but that he's back on the road now. Glad to hear he still delivers. I'd love to see him live! Definitely top 3 in my to-see list. I hope he's coming to Europe again soon. Last time was over 10 years ago I think.

• 1 month later...