Breaking Bad vs. True Detective vs. Fargo

Ace Nova

If you were stranded on an island and could only pick one...which would you pick?  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So if you were stranded on an island and could only pick one season, from one show....which would you pick and why? (Obviously Breaking Bad is the only one with more than one season so far, so if you pick Breaking Bad, please list the season below.)

(And to all those that have yet to watch Fargo, yes, it is that good....it ranks right up there with both Breaking Bad and True Detective in terms of overall quality.)

I voted for Breaking Bad. Although I really enjoyed both True Detective and Fargo, the final season of Breaking Bad beats them both by a hair.
Edited by Kasanova King

Breaking Bad, final season.

If Fargo continues and True Detective continues to amaze, they might be close, though. I just had to choose Breaking Bad because it was so consistent throughout each season and so very well done and became one of my favorite shows of all time. Truly a masterpiece, but i'm waiting on something to dethrone it.

Love all three, but I'm going with Fargo. Maybe because it's the show I've most recently watched, but I felt like there wasn't a weak episode in the entire season and preferred its ending to the other two. I will acknowledge that Cranston gave the best performance out of anyone from all three shows. The problem I have with Breaking Bad is that my favourite episodes are from mostly different seasons; there isn't one season that I thought was notably better than the others. Fargo for me had the benefit of not being concerned with future seasons, hence no filler episodes or episodes with little purpose other than to set up a future episode.

Tough call though, really can't go wrong with any of them.

Breaking Bad season 5B.

True Detective and Fargo were excellent, but I need more then one season to get attached to it emotionally like I did with BB.

The last season was heartbreaking. You became so invested with your favorite characters that you really cared about what's going to happen to them. That takes time, more then you have in just one season. Even if you do bring to the table a high quality show, the new medium of making it like a movie in just one season is limited compared to making it like a movie for 5 seasons with returning characters that you've spent a ton of time watching and relating to.

True Detective and Fargo: it's too close to decide which one is better. True Detective seem to have more room to keep it's identity with new characters, but Fargo was perfect in more levels compared to True Detective, which was more philosophical and complex compared to Fargo, which had more of a "look how bad shit hits the fan" getting worse kinda thing like Breaking Bad and it's conclusion was done better imo.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 2

Hannibal, Season 2 :P

Hannibal is not even close in quality to the shows mentioned. I gave up on it this season after considering it for several episodes, never considered giving up on these 3.

Hannibal, is a couple of tiers below.

Did you watch Season 2?

Hannibal is not even close in quality to the shows mentioned. I gave up on it this season after considering it for several episodes, never considered giving up on these 3.

Did you watch Season 2?

Did you watch Season 2?

Boooooooo. You have no idea what you're talking about then. :jerkoff:

Did you watch Season 2?

Boooooooo. You have no idea what you're talking about then. :jerkoff:

I think it was 3 or 4 episodes left when I quit watching, everything was so bad that I couldn't take it and waste 45 minutes to see it, I read what happened. I know what I'm talking about.

Started to watch Fargo yesterday and was completely blown away. The general idea I’ve got from the first 2 episodes – there is no God, but the Devil is so damn real (and in this case, he's a sadistic prankster)… seems to be quite a popular concept in the US. Well, judging from TV-shows like True Detective, Supernatural, Leftovers, etc :lol:

Edited by netcat

I'd say that TD and Fargo(the little bit I've seen) are very well written but they tend to add useless tidbits of dialogue, hence it can be very full of themselves(that end to episode 1 of Fargo lol).

Now BB is just the perfect balance of serious dialogue and comedy(in the same vain of The Wire, only less grand). So again I haven't finished Fargo so I can't truly judge it but if I had to choose from all 3 it would be BB and it would be between seasons 2, 4 and 5(can't choose lol).

Don't give up on Fargo....it really does get better with each episode.