Let It Be vs. Let It Be...Naked

Georgy Zhukov

Redundant   

8 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Let It Be was the final LP released by The Beatles. Was criticized because some of the songs were overproduced, in particular The Long and Winding Road. The album was produced by Phil Spector so it comes to no surprised. Decades later Paul McCartney authorized a release of the version that he and George Martin wanted. Doesn't have that "Wall of Sound" Spector was known for. The track listing has been rearranged, the spoken words have been removed (you can listen to them on the second disc, "Fly on the Wall" and even includes a different take of Let It Be. I have lost count how many versions of that song there are.

Anyway, discuss. Vote.

I think they should have done something closer to the "30 Days" bootleg instead of "Let It Be Naked". The whole thing about Phil Spector creating a couple of arrangements to Paul's songs has been blown out of proportion, but it deviated from the spirit of what they had originally planned, more of a "raw, live" feeling album.

To me there's no wall of sound on there. The Ramones "End of the Century" and the one he did with Leonard Cohen did.

Paul never had a say in the original album (maybe it was payback for dominating the sessions) and it was a mess that Phil was left to tidy up as a soundtrack to the movie. I still like the original better, but making a 2-3 CD set from the actual sessions and all the other songs they did at the time, including some of the bickering as well as laughing, makes for a better listening experience of what was going on at the time, as well as hearing the songs that wound up on solo albums.

I'll never understand why people think the Naked version makes the album any better. All it does is strip away the fat and leave you with a thin, uninspired album of bland songs that show how empty the tank was at that stage. Only 3 or 4 songs from Let it Be should ever have seen the light of day.

• Like 1

I'll never understand why people think the Naked version makes the album any better. All it does is strip away the fat and leave you with a thin, uninspired album of bland songs that show how empty the tank was at that stage. Only 3 or 4 songs from Let it Be should ever have seen the light of day.

To say that the tank was empty at the end is to discount Abbey Road which was the last album they recorded if not the last to be released.