Where to start with the massive Buckethead discography?

I’d like to explore Buckethead’s music, but have no idea where to even start. He has recorded so much music and worked on so many projects that it’s somewhat overwhelming just looking over his discography.

Can someone familiar with his music suggest maybe 5-10 songs that are representative of his more “accessible” music and that would be a good introduction? And then maybe throw in 5-10 more of the “deeper cuts” that you like?

And what are a few good albums to start off with?

And just as an FYI…I’m much more interested in stuff like his TWAT solo rather than the Shackler’s/Scraped type stuff.

Thanks

I would agree with Towelie - those are some great tracks.

I personally recommend the song "Buckethead" by Colonel Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains - it is a fictional biography of Buckethead with Claypool on vocals, it is wierd, but the Solo by Bucket is epic.

Round that out with Rising Sun by Buckethead.

I'd recommend starting with an album like Monsters and Robots, Colma, Crime Slunk Scene or Albino Slug.

If you only want a handful of songs, I'd recommend stuff like Siege Engine, Faded, Wishing Well, Nottingham Lace, Unrestrained Growth and Shadow Between the Sky's title track.

Wouldn't recommend hitting up his side projects until you understand his solo material. Stuff like Praxis, Colonel Claypool's Bucket of Bernie Brains and Thanatopsis are great though.

Soothsayer is better than many competent guitarists whole career outputs of playing guitar basically. Who cares if he has a goddamn bucket on his head if he comes up with things like this. Axl really knew what he was doing when he scouted Bucket, god knows what went wrong with Ashba.

Soothsayer is better than many competent guitarists whole career outputs of playing guitar basically. Who cares if he has a goddamn bucket on his head if he comes up with things like this. Axl really knew what he was doing when he scouted Bucket, god knows what went wrong with Ashba.

Axl should take some stuff like this, put lyrics to it, and sent it to bucket

Might be able to break the ice between them

Axl should take some stuff like this, put lyrics to it, and sent it to bucket

Might be able to break the ice between them

If Axl and Buck worked together to release a follow-up to his Enter the Chicken album, that has a ridiculous amount of potential.

Makes me curious if the two ever talk lately.

Buckeathead isn't just a gimmicky shred guitar player, he has a fantastic sense of melody. He has too many albums for me to explore all of them but I have a few and he knows how to write some great instrumental tunes. Population Override is my favorite album of his that I own

• Like 1

I highly recommend Buckethead's music to everybody. With the millions of hours of music he has put out, of course a lot of it won't attract your attention, but I must assure everybody - going through his discography, you will find a MASSIVE amount of great music that will stick with your forever - no matter if you like rock, metal, jazz, groove, hip hop or anything else.

And, oh yeah, DO NOT make the big mistake of exploring ONLY his solo stuff. Buckethead has taken part in countless projects, and everyone is different

http://www.bingeandgrab.com/discography_years.html

check it out

when I listen to Buckethead, I can't come back to the living

Great thread, great recommendations. To be fair, the best thing would be to download the discography torrent and just plough through it. I don't enjoy a lot of the stuff like Buckethead land which is more him making noisy soundtracks to the crazy movies in his head. It's not melodic.

But there is so much wonderful melodic stuff that his Guns work echoes.

I haven't even started on the Pikes yet but I can't wait

Thanks all for the great responses. I have listened to all of the individual song recommendations and so far these are the ones I like the best (in no particular order)...oddly enough I didn't really care for two of his most popular ones (Jordan and Nottingham Lace).

The Siphoning Sequence
The Cape of Good Hope
Soothsayer
Rising Sun
King James
Siege Engine
A Real Diamond in the Rough
Ballad of Jerry Mono
Lebron
Final Wars

Edited by foghat43

Bucket and Axl could have taken over the world. I wish Axl had dropped the name (I know the advance paid for Chinese) and started a new band.

Never really thought of that; but you're right. Think with Axl and Bucket and the helm and the right moves it could have been something new and special.

A second coming.