Where to start with the massive Buckethead discography?

Bucket and Axl could have taken over the world. I wish Axl had dropped the name (I know the advance paid for Chinese) and started a new band.

Never really thought of that; but you're right. Think with Axl and Bucket and the helm and the right moves it could have been something new and special.

A second coming.

Absolutely. People would've, I think, been a lot more open to the new band and Chinese Democracy once it came out. Also, the burden of not carrying on the Guns name probably would've freed Axl up quite a bit. It could've been as heavy & weird as he wanted people would've thought "Okay, this is Axl's crazy new thing" instead of "This is not Guns N' Roses." Hindsight is 20/20 though.

And I'll throw this Buckethead jam in the mix. This is among the best of his melodic material and it's, regrettably, not on an album yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jXKNy4xoJ8

Edited by BangoSkank

The Cuckoo Clocks Of Hell (2004) is a really good heavy one.

The first Praxis album Mutation Mutandis is another I'd recommend.

Any of the Travis Dickerson albums are great.

edit: the Cobrastrike albums are fucking cool too.

Edited by DR DOOM

Guest Gunns

thought this thread would be as good as any to post it in,

Buckethead: Jordan (Master guitar track only, no drums)

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Edited by Gunns

Bucket's discography gives me the shits, it is so daunting.

Ha, was just going to say something like this.

Have enjoyed most of what I've heard but it is hugely daunting - especially because it is instrumental.

Listened to Electric Sea, the whole album, that someone posted here. Brilliant stuff.

Well I meant in terms of, the quantity of it all. A lot of it however is, rather esoteric and genre driven; he often does, an 'electronic record' or, 'an acoustic record'. Got to admire the man though. He is the antithesis of Axl in terms of productivity haha - no wonder Bucket left!

After listening to the recommendations on this thread (haven't gotten to all of them yet)...I'm a BH convert...and wishing I'd taken the BH journey a long time ago. I've been missing out on some great music. I don't like all of it, but what I do like I really like and looking forward to continuing the exploration.

On an earlier post I mentioned that...oddly enough I didn't really care for two of his most popular ones (Jordan and Nottingham Lace). But after a couple more listens I changed my mind about NL. But I still don't like Jordan.

And there is something about the intro and main riff of Soothsayer that reminds me of another song that was mainstream/popular several years ago, but I can't place what it was...almost like someone was ripping BH off. Anyone have any idea what I'm talkng about?

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

After listening to the recommendations on this thread (haven't gotten to all of them yet)...I'm a BH convert...and wishing I'd taken the BH journey a long time ago. I've been missing out on some great music. I don't like all of it, but what I do like I really like and looking forward to continuing the exploration.

That's great :) he's totally awesome. Listen to Primus and Praxis... great bands and he's an amazing duo/trio kind of guy, especially with Brain and Claypool.

On an earlier post I mentioned that...oddly enough I didn't really care for two of his most popular ones (Jordan and Nottingham Lace). But after a couple more listens I changed my mind about NL. But I still don't like Jordan.

And there is something about the intro and main riff of Soothsayer that reminds me of another song that was mainstream/popular several years ago, but I can't place what it was...almost like someone was ripping BH off. Anyone have any idea what I'm talkng about?

Listen to Population Override (Bucket/Travis Dickerson) and The Dragons of Eden (Bucket/Travis/Brain).

if I had to do a best-of playlist for Buckethead it'd probably go something like this:

Binge & Grab

Welcome To Bucketheadland

Big Sur Moon

For Mom

Whitewash

Ballad of Buckethead

The Fairy & the Devil

Soothsayer

We Are One

Jordan

Last Light

Fractal Shadows

Forensic Follies

The Homing Beacon/ The Landing Beacon

Shores of Molokai

Ghost Coop

Edited by rocknroll41

There's been some great Pikes lately too. Pumpkin almost requires you to be a fan of ambient banjo..which is a bit abstract :P Giant Robot is a fun album though, has some awesome riffing (Welcome to Bucketheadland, Post Office Buddy, I Come in Peace)

I said this in the Pikes thread, but I'm going to wait for Matrix-like technology to be

developed that way I can just download all of Bucket's music directly into my brain.
By the time he's done that's probably going to be the only possible way to listen to
all of it. I usually sporadically check out the Pikes, though. People might shit on
Bucket over his eccentricity but FFS the guy's talent and work ethic are 2nd to none.