Glam Rock and Hair Metal appreciation

WFA

Good post Mike.

These guys even bring the music negativity into other topics that have nothing to do with music.

It's weird. It is very important to them to constantly insult the music that other people like. Very important.

I'm sure a good psychiatrist could figure out why. Personally, I just wish them the best and hope they are able to overcome whatever it is that makes them act out so negatively all the time.

• Like 1

I do t understand the need to say how shit it is everytime we talk about it. Maybe they love it but need to maintain the hipster persona? I don't know.

Good list Groghan, but I too would put Poison in top tier music quality wise. Cool that Tesla is getting love rock

Mike420, faves?

man, i'm not a big fan of hair metal but kanye west manages to be 100% times worse than any hair metal band ever. lol at those who think kanye does anything more "artistic" than hair metal bands. big fucking lol.

sorry for the off topic.

Edited by ProstituteComa
  • Like 1

He's way more self absorbed than a whole plane full of 80's hair bands tied together with feather boas and coated in max factor 28.

It's like if someone watched a "blockbuster" popcorn action flick and then was branded a dullard for the rest of their lives because they watched The Expendables or something, regardless of what else they watch.

• Like 1

Has anyone ever checked out the Crack A Smile album by Poison? It's the one with Blues Saraceno on lead instead of CC and it's easily my favorite album of theirs.

More good stuff to check out is the later Warrant era. Dog Eat Dog, Ultraphobic and Belly II Belly are GREAT albums.

Mike420, faves?

Well if we are to consider gnr and van halen to be "hair or glam rock" which I don't, I'm just going to go a head and open it up for pretty much all bands from 78~90. So here is my list.

1. Guns n' Roses

2. Van Halen

3. Aerosmith (just the 80's and early 90's stuff)

4. AC/DC (just brian johnson era)

5. Scorpions

6. Whitesnake

7. Ratt

8. Dokken

9. Great White

10. Ozzy solo

11. Def Leppard

12. Krokus

13. Poison

14. David Lee Roth solo

15. Alice Cooper solo (80's stuff)

16. Ronnie James Dio

17. Sammy Hagar solo

18. Cinderella

19. Motley Crue

20. Bon Jovi

HM: Twisted Sister, Tesla, Warrant, LA Guns, Mr. Big, Extreme

There's my top 20 rock bands from the "80's era."

Fuck I had to keep editing this list because I kept forgetting good ones :)

I just edited my post because I forgot about Great White and Whitesnake.

Edited by Mike420

I used to listen to A LOT of hair metal when I was 16/17 or so, but I stopped the past few years. I recently put an old playlist of hair metal tunes on in my car and found most of the songs to be awful. Definitely not something I could listen to a lot anymore. Once in a while is okay.

I personally can't believe I ever managed to listen to an entire Poison album. Gimme Crue, pre hysteria Def Leppard, some Ozzy and I'm good.

Edited by Gunner55

Has anyone ever checked out the Crack A Smile album by Poison? It's the one with Blues Saraceno on lead instead of CC and it's easily my favorite album of theirs.

More good stuff to check out is the later Warrant era. Dog Eat Dog, Ultraphobic and Belly II Belly are GREAT albums.

Dog Eat Dog is a great album...not keen on Ultraphobic...and Belly II Belly is ok

Crack A Smile is pretty good as is Native Tongue, the album they did with Richie Kotzen

Mike420, faves?

Well if we are to consider gnr and van halen to be "hair or glam rock" which I don't, I'm just going to go a head and open it up for pretty much all bands from 78~90. So here is my list.

1. Guns n' Roses

2. Van Halen

3. Aerosmith (just the 80's and early 90's stuff)

4. AC/DC (just brian johnson era)

5. Scorpions

6. Ratt

7. Dokken

8. Ozzy solo

9. Def Leppard

10. Krokus

11. Poison

12. David Lee Roth solo

13. Alice Cooper solo (80's stuff)

14. Ronnie James Dio

15. Sammy Hagar solo

16. Cinderella

17. Motley Crue

18. Bon Jovi

19. Tesla

20. Twisted Sister

HM: Warrant, LA Guns, Mr. Big, Extreme

There's my top 20 rock bands from the "80's era."

Fuck I had to keep editing this list because I kept forgetting good ones :)

keep editing until Krokus is off the list!!

Faster Pussycat's debut album is underrated only because it was released the same week AFD was. Taime Downe is a great singer. Songs like Bathroom Wall, Slip Of The Tounge, Babylon, Cathouse, No Room For Emotion, etc. Krokus has some good tunes but I wouldn't rank them top 20 over Faster Pussycat.

Putting Van Halen on this list is incorrect, unless you add Kiss and AC/DC. All three bands are from the 70's and their combined influences resulted in the whole "hair band era." I personally don't consider VH a hair/glam band, but they did influence ALL OF THEM, as did Kiss and AC/DC. So I demand either VH being removed or AC/DC and KISS being added.

A great band from this era that often gets over looked is Krokus, if you haven't heard them, check em' out!!!

By request, 80s Van Helen is out of the list.
  • Like 1

Faster Pussycat's debut album is underrated only because it was released the same week AFD was. Taime Downe is a great singer. Songs like Bathroom Wall, Slip Of The Tounge, Babylon, Cathouse, No Room For Emotion, etc. Krokus has some good tunes but I wouldn't rank them top 20 over Faster Pussycat.

Good thing it's MY top 20 then :P

He's way more self absorbed than a whole plane full of 80's hair bands tied together with feather boas and coated in max factor 28.

It's like if someone watched a "blockbuster" popcorn action flick and then was branded a dullard for the rest of their lives because they watched The Expendables or something, regardless of what else they watch.

Funny, because the Expendables is basically what Nobody puts baby in a corner is these days. A bunch of washed up hasbeens who were popular 30 years ago trying to relive the glory days.

Kanye bashers - do me a favor and listen to The College Dropout or My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. If you still think he's shit, so be it, but his persona and the things he gets bashed for by the media are not the reason I'm a fan. More often than not I find it embarrassing.

Putting Van Halen on this list is incorrect, unless you add Kiss and AC/DC. All three bands are from the 70's and their combined influences resulted in the whole "hair band era." I personally don't consider VH a hair/glam band, but they did influence ALL OF THEM, as did Kiss and AC/DC. So I demand either VH being removed or AC/DC and KISS being added.

A great band from this era that often gets over looked is Krokus, if you haven't heard them, check em' out!!!

By request, 80s Van Helen is out of the list.

DLR Era VH are hair metal. More tolerable side of it but still in the mix.

I think there are a lot of similarities (clearly, as DLR Van Halen may be the single biggest influence on the genre), but I'm not sure I'd say they're hair metal. Perhaps later on towards 1984, but early on there just seems to be some kind of "grit" to the instrumentation that you don't usually hear in the genre where everything's so sterile. I can't articulate it very well. I'd say the biggest similarities are lyrically, but rock's had a pretty extensive history of terrible lyrics dating back way before either Van Halen or hair metal existed.

Good post Mike.

These guys even bring the music negativity into other topics that have nothing to do with music.

It's weird. It is very important to them to constantly insult the music that other people like. Very important.

I'm sure a good psychiatrist could figure out why. Personally, I just wish them the best and hope they are able to overcome whatever it is that makes them act out so negatively all the time.

Nothing that happens on any of these forums is something I'd consider "very important".

I think there are a lot of similarities (clearly, as DLR Van Halen may be the single biggest influence on the genre), but I'm not sure I'd say they're hair metal. Perhaps later on towards 1984, but early on there just seems to be some kind of "grit" to the instrumentation that you don't usually hear in the genre where everything's so sterile. I can't articulate it very well. I'd say the biggest similarities are lyrically, but rock's had a pretty extensive history of terrible lyrics dating back way before either Van Halen or hair metal existed.

I label them hair metal mostly because of the way DLR sang (and Anthony on backing vocals) and the echoey reverb sound that their stuff had. Sure, it had some grit that most hair bands lacked, but by 1984 that was gone.

van halen has always been a tough one. i kind of agree with what kerry king of slayer said, basically the hair bands took what van halen was doing and turned it up to 10 in all the wrong directions. i think this is a fun debate to have since i can see both sides of this one. ^^^yeah by 1984 i think van halen was a hair band. everything in between is a good debate IMO.

Edited by bran
  • Like 2

i think they are to hair metal/hard rock that alice in chains are to grunge/metal. that is why this is such a difficult debate IMO. as for van halen i always liked the hagar stuff better to be honest hide.gif shame me if you must :lol:

• Like 1

It took me ages to give VH a chance because of their happy smiley, dayglo spandex look and the big singles- I had them written off.

Hagar is the better singer by a mile, the songs are probably more "mature" with him as the singer...

Sammy did the DLR numbers better than Dave too.

Edited by DR DOOM

It took me ages to give VH a chance because of their happy smiley, dayglo spandex look and the big singles- I had them written off.

Hagar is the better singer by a mile, the songs are probably more "mature" with him as the singer...

Sammy did the DLR numbers better than Dave too.

van halen was one of those bands that my dad played a lot growing up, especially their first 3 albums, so i always liked van halen, but as the years have gone on they are a band i enjoy in bits and pieces. i can sit down and listen to 3 or 4 songs and then be all set with them for a while.

So why did they fire Michael Anthony? Is it just because Eddie wanted to promote his son?

from what i have read it seems like eddie was somewhat bitter with michael for going with sammy and playing in chickenfoot when sammy was fired the last time. eddie says when it was announced that van halen was reforming with dave, michael tried getting back in and eddie told michael that he quit the band. michael has always taken the high road and really doesnt talk about it, he did say that when van halen reunited they had pictures of the band on their website with him cut out of the pictures, and that seemed to bother him.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/michael-anthony-refutes-eddies-claim-he-quit-van-halen-20090603