Slipknot - NEW ALBUM - .5: The Gray Chapter - Fall Tour "Prepare for Hell Tour" with Korn and KING 810

KeyserSoze

I've been a fan of slipknot ever since i was a child. i was attracted to there crazy antics on stage, there lyrics and pure hate screams from front man Corey Taylor, and obviously there image. but in the past couple of years (especially this year and late last year) things have been going to shit. i know most fans would agree that the band pretty much sold out by Vol. 3, but most fans that stuck by the bands side since the beginning officially gave up by 2008's "All Hope Is Gone". this album single handedly made the band loose many hardcore fans with its lackluster vocal performance from Corey and mainstream media metal sound, along with gain many young/teenage fans for the single fact that it was mainstream metal. Anyway, 2 years after the albums release, founding bass player Paul Grey passed away in a hotel room outside of Des Moines, Iowa. Many thought this was the end of the band due to the fact that Corey, along with many other band members say that slipknot would not continue without the current 9 members.

Anyway, the band continued to tour with replacement bassist Donnie Steele (founding guitar player for the band way back in 1997 and 1998) who agreed to play backstage, and promised a new album as soon as the grieving process was over. jump to late 2013, Joey Jordinson (founding drummer), is fired from the band. To this day there has no solid information regarding joeys firing from either sides. Once again, people believed that this was the end of slipknot due to the bands previous comments. But again Corey promised that slipknot was not coming apart but only getting stronger. Some people believe that joey started heavily using drugs after paul died, and the band having already lost one member decided its better to move on without him. Jordinson also noticeably gained a lot of weight between pails death and his firing. Some believe that since slipknot was dormant he used some material that was being used in the slipknot camp for his side project band "Scar The Martyr".

December 2013: Jim Root (slipknot/Stone Sour guitarist) sits out stone sour tour to focus on recording Slipknot material

December/January 2014: Joey Jordinson reveals he was fired from the band, contrary to what the slipknot camp has been saying.

March: A new album is promised. Corey Taylor says major work is going on, along with photographic proof, Slipknot announce "Knotfest" (there own music festival with hand picked music acts) in japan for later in 2014, still no replacement drummer announced.

April: Paul Grays widow accuses his doctor of killing him, says band didn't want anything to do with him in his final days

May: Paul's Doctor is acquitted of Manslaughter, Jim Root is fired from Stone Sour (the band is also fronted by Slipknot singer Corey Taylor) saying 'we hope this is best for both bands and should be reflected in the work to come"

June: Slipknot announce Knotfest in the US for later in 2014, still no replacement drummer announced.

Today (6/15/14)- Slipknot Release a teaser trailer for there new album with absolutely no information, still no replacement drummer announced

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4Mtw_f9BRw

my question for anyone on the outside looking in, or to any major slipknot fan on these forums is: what do you guys think of this? have any of the fans on here given up on this band? honestly don't even know what to think anymore

I like Slipknot. I met Cory Taylor at the Texas Frightmare this year and he was such a nice guy. He's doing a horror movie too and talked about new masks for Slipknot too. He also mentioned a new album coming out later this year.

He said between Slipknot and Stone Sour and now his acting career he's super busy. Since filming Fear Clinic, he said he's gotten lots of other movie scripts to look through.

Anyway, I've never seen them live, but I do like their music.

Anyway, I've never seen them live, but I do like their music.

Go see them if you have the chance! I saw them 4 times over the last 6 years. 2 first shows were amazing, first in a concert hall with a capacity of only 3000. Second time was the summer after at a festival with probably around 20,000 thousand in the audience. Great as well! Third time was at a festival as well, hungover and when I tried to scream it felt like my head exploded so I sat down and enjoyed it from a hill, got to see the "jump the fuck up" from another perspecitve but basically it was the same show I had already seen. 4th time - festival "Meh, I've seen the exact same show 5 years in a row now, fuck this" went to my tent.

I think Slipknot died if Joey really left. Maybe he recorded drum parts that Stone Sou... i mean Corey and the band will use on the upcoming album
I will listen to the new album, but i'm not really a fan anymore. After Paul died, the band members express their sadness and give this as a reason why they didn't do anything new, just touring...
After they announced Joey kicked out of the band, i think the whole "brotherhood" excuse is pointless
I don't want to see Stone Sour 2.0
They were one of the biggest and greatest bands on earth from 1998-2002 (iowa is maybe the best album of the 00's in metal). They were good in 2004-2005 ,but the band started to evolve and try something "new". Still good in my book.
In 2008 AHIG was a succes commercialy, but they become Stone Sour 2.0 and the album is not that good. Too much soft/radiofriendly influence
Corey voice mostly sucks in 2008-09. In 2011-12-13 he started regain his power.
I wonder what will happen next, but i think an album without Joey is pointless. The guy is in this band since the beginning (from 1995, way before Corey joined) His drum sound is too important for this band. Without him, this is not Slipknot, sorry.

I've seen them in 2004 once. Mind blowing show, although the audience was shit. Their strength based on the live shows. Corey was the best front man from 1999-2002 in this planet. After that, the shows become predictable (esp. after AHIG)

Edited by Crash Diet

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a new song. Slipknot posted on their website so it's 100% legit. This whole track is misterious, nobody knows who recorded the drums (my best guess it's still a Joey track)
The song: Strong IOWA feel (so it's not a bullshit that they tried to do an Iowa/Slipknot type album), but certainly not becoming the best song in their catalog... Corey's voice pitch is changed a bit but he maintains an agressive tone which is good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y3NR6H7egA

The new song is pretty boring. I used to think Vol. 3 was their weakest album but I think it's aged the best.

The crazy test/jump the fuck up was one of the best concert experiences I've ever had. Joey was spinning at a 90 degree angle, his riser moved up against the back wall, it was the last song of the night, and everyone on the floor went nuts. This was 9 or 10 shows before Paul died, too.

It sucks what Corey's turned this band into. And it was Joey's band to begin with. Clown was there too but it was Joey's band. I cant imagine an album/tour (unless its a Mayhem fest type tour) without Joey doing all that well.

Just saw the video for Negative One.

it shows a girl messing with goat heads.

very strange video. I was hoping to see the band but you don't.

I think Corey mentioned that they would have new masks made for the new cd and a tour.

Even showing the girl's boobs didn't help that video lol

saw it on blabbermouth.net.

Rumor is that Chris Adler from Lamb of God is playing drums on this track. It's just one fan's speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised since Chris has done studio work in the past.

http://www.metalinjection.net/latest-news/rumors/is-that-lamb-of-gods-chris-adler-drumming-on-the-new-slipknot-album

Here's his response http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/lamb-of-gods-chris-adler-doesnt-recall-playing-on-new-slipknot-album/

• 2 weeks later...

Touring with Korn and King 810 this fall: http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/slipknot-to-tour-north-america-with-korn-king-810/

I don't care too much for Slipknot to be honest, but I like Korn a lot and King 810 are actually pretty good. Pretty fucked up, but good. Saw them live at Mayhem and was surprised at how much I liked them.

Will definitely be going to the East Rutherford date.

slipknotgraychapterbigger2_638.jpg

SLIPKNOT's fifth album, ".5: The Gray Chapter", will be made available on October 21 via Roadrunner. The CD will include 14 songs, plus two bonus tracks for the deluxe edition.

".5: The Gray Chapter" track listing:

01. XIX
02. Sarcastrophe
03. Aov
04. The Devil In I
05. Killpop
06. Skeptic
07. Lech
08. Goodbye
09. Nomadic
10. The One That Kills The Least
11. Custer
12. Be Prepared For Hell
13. The Negative One
14. If Rain Is What You Want
15. Override (bonus track)
16. The Burden (bonus track)

The official ".5: The Gray Chapter" pre-order can be found at this location.

You can see the cover artwork below.

"The Devil In I", the official first single from ".5: The Gray Chapter", can be streamed below. The disc follows up 2008's "All Hope Is Gone" and is the band's first without founding bassist Paul Gray, who died in 2010, and drummer Joey Jordison, who was let go late last year.

"The Devil In I" is more melodic and features cleaner vocals from frontman Corey Taylor, who told The Pulse Of Radio what the song is about. "'The Devil In I' is really about the war inside yourself," he said. "Trying not to give into defeatism, trying not to give into negativity, trying not to give up basically. It's a struggle. It's one of the hardest thing you can do, is to give in to that side of yourself."

SLIPKNOT issued and quickly fulfilled a casting call earlier in the month for fans — also known as "maggots" — to appear in the new video for "The Devil In I". The call for extras to appear as "human maggots," requiring that applicants be between 20 and 35 years old and "comfortable to be shooting in barefoot," was issued the weekend of August 16-17 and was no longer accepting submissions by August 18.

The shoot was scheduled to take place on either Friday (August 22) or Saturday (August 23) in the Los Angeles area.

Taylor told The Pulse Of Radio that the band's remaining members pulled closer together in the studio following Gray's passing. "It was almost like getting to know each other again," he said. "We were all kind of grieving in our own way and dealing with things in our own way, and knowing that we had to be healthy to go in, we had to be creative to go in, and knowing that we were gonna have to fill this huge void, we just kind of took it upon ourselves to make up for that emptiness by being a little bit of Paul. Like we were all a little bit of Paul in our own way."

Asked what has been most fulfilling about working on new SLIPKNOT music that he never experienced before, Corey told Full Metal Jackie: "This one, it just feels, there's something weird about this one. Obviously this is the first album we're making without Paul.

"After everything we went through, there's a catharsis that comes with this, being able to throw all the emotion and aggression out that we've been holding onto. At the same time, getting to be creative again. Feeling that juice coming back into us. It's been a real positive experience just from an artistic standpoint, a lyrical standpoint.

"We're making an album that's not just a reflection. Let's just get new music out there. There's something very vital with what we're trying to do. There's something very visceral with the emotion we're playing with and trying to tell the story of a band that's gone through hell, and yet we're back. It's been really fulfilling."

Corey recently described the musical direction of the new SLIPKNOT material as "a great mesh of [2001's] 'Iowa' and [2004's] 'Vol. 3: (The Subliminal Verses)'." He explained: "You've got the gorgeous melodies and the artistic direction of 'Vol. 3' and then you've got the absolute brutality of 'Iowa'. And I think people are gonna lose their minds when they hear it."

Reports have suggested that SLIPKNOT has recruited drummer Jay Weinberg to play on the new album and tour. Weinberg is the son of Max Weinberg, longtime Bruce Springsteen and the E STREET BAND drummer. There are also rumors that SLIPKNOT is no longer working with Donnie Steele, the group's original guitar player who has been playing bass for SLIPKNOT since the band resumed touring in 2011.

SLIPKNOT announced in December 2013 that it had parted ways with Jordison. The band has not disclosed the reasons for Jordison's exit, although the drummer issued a statement in January saying that he did not quit the group.

The video for "The Negative One", which can be seen below, was directed by SLIPKNOT percussionist Shawn "Clown" Crahan, who has directed most of the band's music videos and concert documentaries.

The second edition of SLIPKNOT's Knotfest event will take place on October 24-26 in San Bernardino, California. More than two dozen other acts will join the headliners, including FIVE FINGER DEATH PUNCH, VOLBEAT, OF MICE & MEN, IN THIS MOMENT, HELLYEAH and ATREYU.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/slipknot-to-release-5-the-gray-chapter-in-october/

Got my GA tickets for the East Rutherford show. Mainly interested in Korn and King 810, but still excited to cross Slipknot off of my list.

My friend's dad went to school with the band manager's dad, so he might be able to get us a couple of laminates for backstage and stuff like he did a few years ago. Hoping we can do that.