Malaysian passenger plane crashes in Ukraine

Russel Nash

Silly Americans thinking you're a superpower. The world is abandoning reserves of the dollar, and you're Russia and China's bitch.

as soon as we get some backbone back in the WH, might want to get a bigger choker

Edited by shades

Silly Americans thinking you're a superpower. The world is abandoning reserves of the dollar, and you're Russia and China's bitch.

No. Not even close. The U.S is still the overwhelming power in almost every matter.

Being Russia's bitch? Really? Might want to check out the massive amounts of capital outflows that's currently happening within Russia to other markets. Nevermind the existence of 1970s stagflation that's transpiring within the "Motherland." I don't agree with Senator John McCain on much these days, but his claim that Russia is little more than a "gas station masquerading as a country" is pretty spot on.

There might come a time when the U.S. dollar is no longer the international reserve, but it won't be for decades, if not another fifty years. The last thing China wants, with its vast holdings in U.S. dollars, is to see the U.S. dollar crash.

• Like 1

No. Not even close. The U.S is still the overwhelming power in almost every matter.

Being Russia's bitch? Really? Might want to check out the massive amounts of capital outflows that's currently happening within Russia to other markets. Nevermind the existence of 1970s stagflation that's transpiring within the "Motherland." I don't agree with Senator John McCain on much these days, but his claim that Russia is little more than a "gas station masquerading as a country" is pretty spot on.

There might come a time when the U.S. dollar is no longer the international reserve, but it won't be for decades, if not another fifty years. The last thing China wants, with its vast holdings in U.S. dollars, is to see the U.S. dollar crash.

I hear what you are saying, would you not agree that we are not flexing the muscle we have, given the grave conditions on so many fronts?

not saying we should be attacking people, but maybe carrying out a few of the ultimatums with conditions?

I'll give Obama credit for avoiding conflict, but at some point and time words become hollow and meaningless.

Edited by shades

I hear what you are saying, would you not agree that we are not flexing the muscle we have, given the grave conditions on so many fronts?

not saying we should be attacking people, but maybe carrying out a few of the ultimatums with conditions?

I'll give Obama credit for avoiding conflict, but at some point and time words become hollow and meaningless.

Not sure if conducting foreign policy on the basis of ultimatums is the way to go. There are moments when it is called for, but situations in the Ukraine and Israel do not, in my opinion, elevate to the level where ultimatums are warranted.

Ultimatums should always be used as a last resort. Often, they're too reactionary while hindering the long game. Putin seems content to dig himself his own grave with the rest of Europe, why spoil that for him? Why should the U.S. barge in and make Putin look good by issuing ultimatums? Unless Russia does something that directly challenges U.S. security (sorry, an intra-national conflict doesn't rise to that level), it's probably best to use diplomacy and economic levers to pressure Russia.

And besides, how well did Bush's ultimatums towards Iraq work out for either country?

shades, you are the exact guy who reprimands downzy on a regular basis for relying too much on the google machine and copy + paste. Take your own advice and do a little more research and thinking. If this is still going on later and people need me to clarify how the SC works, I'd be happy to do so.

shades, you are the exact guy who reprimands downzy on a regular basis for relying too much on the google machine and copy + paste. Take your own advice and do a little more research and thinking. If this is still going on later and people need me to clarify how the SC works, I'd be happy to do so.

Haha, I actually looked up the SC website just now :lol:

In the mean time, Dutch experts still haven't been able to reach the crash site, three days in a row, because of the constant fighting between Kiev and the separatists. Sad world.

The government says they ceased all military actions in 20 km radius from the crash site. but they can't stop fighting like at all, and i hope they won't, as long as Russian militants are still there

here's a report on what's going on right now and how Russia is not involved

http://www.latimes.com/world/europe/la-fg-ukraine-russia-crash-site-probe-20140728-story.html

and Reuters investigation on how Russia has nothing to do with it

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/07/29/us-ukraine-crisis-arms-specialreport-idUSKBN0FY0UA20140729

In the mean time, Dutch experts still haven't been able to reach the crash site, three days in a row, because of the constant fighting between Kiev and the separatists. Sad world.

The government says they ceased all military actions in 20 km radius from the crash site. but they can't stop fighting like at all, and i hope they won't, as long as Russian militants are still there

here's a report on what's going on right now and how Russia is not involved

http://www.latimes.com/world/europe/la-fg-ukraine-russia-crash-site-probe-20140728-story.html

and Reuters investigation on how Russia has nothing to do with it

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/07/29/us-ukraine-crisis-arms-specialreport-idUSKBN0FY0UA20140729

I'm not saying Russia is not involved at all. But I have zero respect or sympathy for troops (from whichever side) who can't even allow experts on a crashsite, where hundreds of people were killed who aren't even remotely involved in the conflict. Where's the humanity in that ?

ok, i'll explain.
the troops can't afford to cease fire unilaterally. they already did it once, but separatists continued to launch attacks, Ukraine lost dozens of soldiers and separatists got a chance to take over some of the cities and to get lots of new mercenaries and weaponry over the Russian boarder. the government can't do it anymore, people will call them traitors
on a side note: war and humanity is incompatible
and i have zero respect for the international community that still didn't take serious steps to de escalate a conflict and stop Russian aggression, so what. who cares

edit. yeah and i forgot to mention. it looks like there will be an armed international police mission to the crash site. if Ukrainian parliament will give a permission on Thursday

Edited by netcat

Thanks for explaining.

War and humanity are incompatible, but that doesn't mean the troops (again: of both sides) can't show their human side by allowing neutral experts in imo. Or does that only happen when it's Christmas ? Anyway, it's just something I can't and won't comprehend.

I agree with you, the international community should have reacted strongly a long time ago, and certainly Europe. It's at our doorstep FFS.

What!?!?

Have you completely lost your mind or are your being fictitious?

Putin has done nothing but demonstrate that he is at the very least....unstable. And you want to give that madman an ultimatum?...while he's being backed by China?

:lol:

Thank God you and your like aren't in power right now. For if so, it would be WWIII. At the very least, you would start the next cold war.

Edited by Kasanova King

• 2 weeks later...

Putin (or Medvedev) has issued a one year ban on the import of all western food, so coming from the EU, the US, Australia, Canada and Norway. This doesn't really bode well, does it ?

A spokesperson for the Belgian agricultural sector (fruits and vegetables) said a few weeks ago that if Russia would impose a ban, the whole sector would be down, but he didn't expect Russia to ever impose a total ban, maybe limitations on import. That seems to have escalated pretty quickly. I guess we'll be eating a lot of fruits and vegetables and sausages next year.

Consequences are huge for the EU agricultural sector and prices will rise in Russia, because fruits and vegetables will be in short supply. Putin has instructed officials to take measures to stabilize the commodity markets and prevent price rises.

Edited by Lio

Putin (or Medvedev) has issued a one year ban on the import of all western food, so coming from the EU, the US, Australia, Canada and Norway. This doesn't really bode well, does it ?

A spokesperson for the Belgian agricultural sector (fruits and vegetables) said a few weeks ago that if Russia would impose a ban, the whole sector would be down, but he didn't expect Russia to ever impose a total ban, maybe limitations on import. That seems to have escalated pretty quickly. I guess we'll be eating a lot of fruits and vegetables and sausages next year.

Consequences are huge for the EU agricultural sector and prices will rise in Russia, because fruits and vegetables will be in short supply. Putin has instructed officials to take measures to stabilize the commodity markets and prevent price rises.

Fine!! So when he comes to Australia for the G20 summit later this year he can bloody starve. ;)

Has he made that official? Last I saw it was something he was considering.

Has he made that official? Last I saw it was something he was considering.

Yes, Medvedev made it official two hours ago.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/aug/07/russia-retaliates-western-sanctions-ban-food-imports

been reading russian independent press today. the most common comment on this: "in response to EU/US sanctions Russia went on hunger strike". it's said that by now about 40% - 50% of Russian food market is EU\US imported, some expect there will be food shortage and long lines like back in the USSR. and yes all experts agree that prices will soar

It seems Russia's planning to import chicken from Brazil and dairy, fruits and vegetables from Ecuador and cheese from New-Zealand. They're really making this a world situation, it seems. Meanwhile, the EU is Brazil's largest business partner and investor.

There are talks of banning the import of cars and of closing the Siberian airspace. A special mention for alcohol, as that isn't banned.