Country Music

Georgy Zhukov

Growing up, I used to think country music is basically a bunch of buck-toothed cross-eyed sister-fucking hicks singing about their cheating dogs and dead wives or the other way around. Then I saw that movie Walk the Line and I realized there wasn't much distinction between Johnny Cash or Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis at the time.

Now it seems that a lot of young people are getting into it. City girls who dress up in cowboy boots and hats and date guys in pickup trucks. Is everyone getting hay fever?

Most country artists weren't rockstars like Johnny Cash though.

Johnny Cash was Johnny Cash. You can label him country but he borderlines rock and roll. Can't tell me Get Rhythm is a true country song. Cocaine Blues and Folsom Prison Blues were true rock songs. Then you have Walk The Line, Ring of Fire, Man in Black, Cry Cry Cry. Those were real country songs.

I'm a huge Cash fan. I have been listening to a lot of his later work, the American Recordings I - VI (especially IV through VI), and though his voice is failing, some of these songs I feel are his best. The honesty of an elderly man coming to terms with his own mortality and accepting it is really moving.

• Like 1

Saw Junior Brown open for Bob Dylan. That was incredible.

I guess a lot of the new popular country is called country alternative?

i guess it just sounds like pop music with a southern drawl to me.

Saw Junior Brown open for Bob Dylan. That was incredible.

I guess a lot of the new popular country is called country alternative?

i guess it just sounds like pop music with a southern drawl to me.

That is actually the description I was looking for. Pop music with steel guitars and violins and southern drawls. Almost like the instruments were an afterthought.

i like a fair amount of old school country. the new stuff is garbage to me, i can never understand the fascination with the stuff.

Agree 100% with this. And as far as the old school stuff...Merle Haggard is one of my personal favorites...well, when it comes to country anyway.

Edited by foghat43

Being that I work at a modern country radio station, you know which side of the fence that I'm on with this one.

Outside of Cash, I really don't care for much traditional country stuff. Absolutely love the new stuff, though. Keith Urban being my favorite. Dude can shred.

I've always had a reasonable regard for old school country, and there is some nu-country that I can handle.
Both have their share of crap and absolute gems, it comes down to which tunes resonate with you.

Idk but most of the modern country music(really starting in the mid 00s) tend to be bad rock singers/bands with some fiddle meddling in there to make it seem like country. I think the genre has gone to shit like most other genres in music(Rock is dead and rap is weak).

This is the type of stuff that I was brought up on:

Jones, Rich, Haggard, Pride, Hank Sr, Cline, Cash, etc.

That's why in the 80s and 90s I stuck with people I view as cut from that cloth; Garth, Dwight, Jackson, Tritt, Straight.

• Like 1