Country Music

Georgy Zhukov

Literally just find any bar on Broadway, get drunk, and you'll enjoy yourself.

edit: also find some nice looking woman and say "I need to learn to swing dance. Can you teach me?" and boom, laid.

I like where your head's at. This is the first city where I'm by myself entirely. I can really play up the out of towner card.

Literally just find any bar on Broadway, get drunk, and you'll enjoy yourself.

edit: also find some nice looking woman and say "I need to learn to swing dance. Can you teach me?" and boom, laid.

I like where your head's at. This is the first city where I'm by myself entirely. I can really play up the out of towner card.

It's almost failproof. The best thing is, once some nice Nashville girl teaches you to swing dance, your go to pickup line can become "Hey, did anyone ever teach you to swing dance?"

If it can work in Scotland, it can work anywhere.

• 5 months later...

Then I saw that movie Walk the Line and I realized there wasn't much distinction between Johnny Cash or Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis at the time.

I have a theory that Elvis, Jerry Lee Gene Vincent Eddie Cochran Buddy Holly were a bunch of people that basically bought a country touch to RnB and that is the shit that got labelled Rock n Roll when thats not what that shit was about and the lineage of Rock n Roll is distorted by virtue of that. It does not go from Chuck Berry/Little Richard/Bo Diddley to those guys i just mentioned, it really goes from Chuck Berry/Little Richard/Bo Diddley and then on to James Brown, Otis Redding, Marvin Gaye etc etc etc, THOSE are the people that are the continuation of what was rock n roll but ended up being called RnB or race music simply because black people were doing it. The direction of rockabilly that kinda set the standard for rock n roll isn't rock n roll at all, it doesn't have what rock n roll have, it isn't even appliable musically.

And furthermore, everything that followed on from James Brown, Otis Redding, Marvin Gaye etc is where the good shit was at and everything that followed on from Elvis, Jerry Lee, Eddie Cochran etc was a load of crap basically. Not because THEY were crap but because the wrong aspects were latched onto because what THOSE guys did required a certain talent.

Listen to your early rock n roll...and then listen to the music that came after it called rock n roll, The Beatles/Stones/Who were the last bands to maintain some modicum of that RnB groove to their shit, most of what came afterwards didn't hold up in terms of quality up against the old stuff because by that time it was almost completely removed from what about those songs made you jump.

Really, what SHOULD have been called rock n roll, were there not that troubling prejudice aspect, was your Otis Reddings and Marvin Gayes and James Browns etc etc. As evidenced by the fact that the few great bands that did come about as a result of what we call rock n roll were highly influenced by the offshoots of the original core music, that ended up being called Soul and then later funk etc etc. The only reason what we have today is called rock n roll is cuz you needed to call that darkies music something else for it to be palletable.

At any rate, these genre names and labels are kinda impositions, the reality is the core music was always evolving.

Could never get into country music. Same with jazz and opera.

Living here in Dallas now, of course, most places you go, play country music and I still don't get it? It's like they sing about their day or something that doesn't make sense to me.

Now Johnny Cash was different. He wrote from the heart and his songs were awesome.