Chinese Democracy Vs. A Different Kind of Truth

Chinese Democracy Vs. A Different Kind of Truth   

89 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Van Halen and Guns N' Roses were two massively popular hard-rock bands from the 80s/early 90s that have one thing in common--long suffering fans. In 2008 GN'R finally released a new album, Chinese Democracy, nearly 20 years after Use Your Illusion. Van Halen finally released their new album in nearly 15 years (and their first with David Lee Roth in nearly 30 years) in 2012 with A Different Kind of Truth.

Which album do you think is better?

Edited by RichardNixon

Chinese. I genuinely love the album. The VH album is horrible.

Horrible? Are you a fan of classic Van Halen?
I like Van Halen, Van Halen II, 1984, Fair Warning, and Diver Down. I also like a few Van Hagar songs

I love Van Halen and EVH, but there was nothing memorable about ADKoT. Seemed like something rushed out to give the reunion tour something to support..which didn't even last. R.I.P. Van Halen.

Chinese. I genuinely love the album. The VH album is horrible.

Horrible? Are you a fan of classic Van Halen?
I like Van Halen, Van Halen II, 1984, Fair Warning, and Diver Down. I also like a few Van Hagar songs

Your entitled to your opinion and I'm not knocking you, but why not include Women and Children First as well?

As for the poll, I really had to think about this one before I voted. I am a longtime fan of both bands and really liked both albums, almost equally, even though they were totally different. With Chinese Democracy you have a very somber, dour album with soul searching lyrics with very dense music that demands much of the listener. With A Different Kind of Truth, it's like you can finally go home again. It was the album that fans of classic VH had been waiting forever for. Eddie and Dave still have an amazing chemistry, the album strikes the perfect balance of sounding retro and modern and it's just a hell of a lot of fun.

In the end I voted for Chinese Democracy and Axl over Dave, but voted for EVH over Bucket, Finck, etc.

I've listened to 5 VH songs max my whole life, so I really can't judge. It's really hard to compare CD to other albums cause CD took millions of dollars and time to be made, it's filled with fads and stuff that were popular on early 2000s mixed with cheesy effects, useless guitars, etc. It's really a one of kind piece of turd. VH's album on the other hand is probably a rock n' roll album celebrating Dave and Eddie's reunion... It's hard to compare them.

I love Van Halen and EVH, but there was nothing memorable about ADKoT. Seemed like something rushed out to give the reunion tour something to support..which didn't even last. R.I.P. Van Halen.

I thought that the album had some really memorable songs. "Blood and Fire" was probably my favorite. It's based on an instrumental piece called "Ripley," (circa 1985).

• Like 2

The VH record is actually one of my favorite rock albums of 2012. Love Eddie's modern guitar tone.

There weren't too many hard-rock albums from 2012 that I was crazy about. Black Keys, Jack White, Pumpkins, Soundgarden and the VH album were good though.

I love both albums, some of my favorite rock albums of the last decade. Voted for CD and Axl, but EVH. Eddie's playing on ADKOT was sublime.

Agreed.

The biggest thing ADKOT lacked was songs/songwriting. DLR has his moments on that album, but overall he seems to no longer be the guy from 80's anymore. Dave was never a great songwriter, but classic VH allowed him to shine from time to time. But he seems to have lost that vibe on ADKOT imo. EVH plays his ass off on that album and really saves the day, Alex is solid as usual, and the kid does his job. I also feel that the album misses Anthony's harmonies also. They try, but it does fall a little short imo. If I'm to be completly honest about ADKOT, I'd rank it as VH's 2nd worst album, only a head of of VH3. She's the woman and blood and fire are good songs, but it's not enough. The highs on this album don't reach the highs of every other album (except for 3). Honestly I can go on and on about what I don't like about ADKOT. Tattoo is bad attempt at Jump part 2 and Stay Frosty is a bad attempt at Ice Cream Man part 2. But having said all that, i enjoy the album, it was my favorite album from 2012. But that's more a knock on the current state of music....

CD>ADKOT

EVH> Bucket and others

Axl>DLR

Edited by Mike420
  • Like 1

I love both albums, some of my favorite rock albums of the last decade. Voted for CD and Axl, but EVH. Eddie's playing on ADKOT was sublime.

Agreed.

The biggest thing ADKOT lacked was songs/songwriting. DLR has his moments on that album, but overall he seems to no longer be the guy from 80's anymore. Dave was never a great songwriter, but classic VH allowed him to shine from time to time. But he seems to have lost that vibe on ADKOT imo. EVH plays his ass off on that album and really saves the day, Alex is solid as usual, and the kid does his job. I also feel that the album misses Anthony's harmonies also. They try, but it does fall a little short imo. If I'm to be completly honest about ADKOT, I'd rank it as VH's 2nd worst album, only a head of of VH3. She's the woman and blood and fire are good songs, but it's not enough. The highs on this album don't reach the highs of every other album (except for 3). Honestly I can go on and on about what I don't like about ADKOT. Tattoo is bad attempt at Jump part 2 and Stay Frosty is a bad attempt at Ice Cream Man part 2. But having said all that, i enjoy the album, it was my favorite album from 2012. But that's more a knock on the current state of music....

CD>ADKOT

EVH> Bucket and others

Axl>DLR

I respect your opinion but really disagree about DLR and the album lacking good songs. Dave had some pretty low-points, mostly in the mid-90s and his goofy 2002 look, but he really shined on the album, IMHO. And most of the songs date back to the mid-70s. That's why I felt the album struck a great retro/modern balance--as it does sound modern, yet the songs are old-school VH sounding.

Agreed.

CD>ADKOT

EVH> Bucket and others

Axl>DLR

I respect your opinion but really disagree about DLR and the album lacking good songs. Dave had some pretty low-points, mostly in the mid-90s and his goofy 2002 look, but he really shined on the album, IMHO. And most of the songs date back to the mid-70s. That's why I felt the album struck a great retro/modern balance--as it does sound modern, yet the songs are old-school VH sounding.

I agree with pretty much everything you said there. But to be fair, Dave hasn't done anything even remotely good since the 80's, so even though it is Dave's best performance since 1990, that's not saying much. I honestly feel that ADKOT only has two good songs; Blood and Fire and She's the Woman, the rest is below average filler imo. Yes the music sounds good, but the lyrics and melodies are lacking. Which that falls directly on Dave's shoulders. I don't think it's a bad album, it's just not up to snuff with the rest of VH's catalogue. Even albums like Balance and Diver Down have higher highs and stronger mids. Like I said, it's really only a 2 song album imo, the rest just doesn't do anything for me. I do agree that it does have a retro yet modern sound, I just would of liked to hear more quality.

I have been a long time VH fan; Jimmy Page, EVH, and Axl are my 3 favorite musicians. But I will be critical of them when I think it's needed.

• Like 1

Van Halen and Guns N' Roses were two massively popular hard-rock bands from the 80s/early 90s that have one thing in common--long suffering fans. In 2008 GN'R finally released a new album, Chinese Democracy, nearly 20 years after Use Your Illusion. Van Halen finally released their new album in nearly 15 years (and their first with David Lee Roth in nearly 30 years) in 2012 with A Different Kind of Truth.

Which album do you think is better?

Difference here is that, VH are already preparing the next album and will actually talk about it, no matter which member you talk to they can discuss what the band is doing, what they will be doing in a few months and give pretty definitive answers.

Also, at least we knew what was happening with EVH, he was battling booze and drug addictions as well as cancer battles... legitimate reasons not to be out and about making new music.

A different kind of truth was my favourite album since CD came out, 8/10 great playing, some fantastic songs... Big river is one of the weaker ones and it's still impossible not to dance to it. DLR was great on it too, pure mental case but he sounded fantastic. Alex and wolf played their arses off too, great record!

CD was a very different record so it's hard to compare the two... I would say that as far as continuity goes ADKOT is the better record, as far as pleasing the audience, VH win, as far as songs that I got back to the most GnR win... but I don't like to compare them, both are fantastic in their own ways.

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 2