Shredding and guitars in general post original line-up

I just watched a YouTube clip of bucketheads Nightrain solos. They are insane. However, I cant help but feel that they really don't do the original version justice. I thought the same thing when I saw GnR in CT in 2011. NuGNR plays all of the older songs "faster". I think the original stuff sounds better even if they new guys are better musicians. Thoughts?

Edited by Trin9498

I disagree, I fucking love what BH did to the Nightrain solo, I don't believe in every song it has its place for a guitarist to explore a new interpretation but I do like some shredding in sections, Nightrain solo has that opportunity to go off the rails a bit, summat like November Rain or Don't Cry doesn't have the cohesive opportunity for it, a lot of shredders use the power of shred to substitute for emotion or intriguing avenues that don't just incorporate the element but become the element and that can be fruitless and tactless, c'mon Patience lol, but it is a powerful ally if used appropriately. The Bucket is a master of the tasteful shred imo.

• Like 1

I get what you mean with how it does change the dynamic but I think it's a fair enough solo to shred about a bit in without altering the idk what the correct connotation is but direction of the solo still retains its bite and original conveyance of intent to me, I wouldn't want an abundance of shredding in every other track though, nor every single solo in Nightrain.

• Like 1

Bucket put his own spin on the Nightrain solo and it was absolutely killer. It wasn't the same, but in a good way. Two different styles, enjoyed Slash's, enjoyed Buckets.

I remember hearing it for the first time and my reaction: :o

I enjoy Robin's and Bucket's take on old songs. I dislike most of Ron's shredding (thankfully he's been playing more like Slash lately) and everything about DJ, his (lack of) technique, tone, solos, everything.

One thing you mentioned that I do agree is that they seem to play some songs faster than the original. It's annoying and makes everything harder for Axl. I don't understand why they do it.

Different guitarists and different styles of doing things. Most solos stay identical and true to the original such as Bumble performing There Was a Time's solo, while others get a new interpretation..which under Ashba, may not sound better than the original.

Speaking of Nightrain, Buckethead took the solo section, made it his own and redefined the song.

• Like 1

Technical-wizardry shredding in AFD/UYI songs is like adding super-slick CGI imagery to classic films from the pre-CGI days.

Sure, it can be all like "wowzers, whiz bang!", but ultimately, it just doesn't fit.

And that's the problem with CD too. Axl still tried to hold some similarity to blues-rock, even though he clearly wanted to venture out of that territory and into something new. But by keeping one foot in the old-school blues-rock world and one foot in the neo-shred wizadry world, he created something that was lesser than either side.

I love Buckethead, but I always hated his interpretation of Nightrain. It sounds way too soft, it's boring, and considering the song it just doesn't fit at all.

Slash's leads at the end of Nightrain sound vulnerable, serious, but mean as shit at the same time. Perfect cap to a song about excessive drinking.

That said, you can't expect any musician no matter how talented they are to top anything on an album like AFD, everything about that album is perfect as it was recorded.

• Like 1

I mean, the chords at the end of nightrain is ripe for a shred solo, it's a pretty straight power metal progression. It was a perfect fit for Buckethead's shred.

Also, the shred works on many of the new songs, such as TWAT. Though even on CD the shred gets obnoxious to the point of just noise, such as riad and shackler's. Bucket has a masterful ability to turn it on and turn it off, and innately knowing what moments to do so.

• Like 1

The only time "shredding" ever actually bothered me was when Bumblefoot first joined in 2006 and would shred his way through sections of solos where he shouldn't have. He grew out of that though, realized what parts are important and what parts he can do what we wants with.

• Like 1

I love Buckethead, but I always hated his interpretation of Nightrain. It sounds way too soft, it's boring, and considering the song it just doesn't fit at all.

Slash's leads at the end of Nightrain sound vulnerable, serious, but mean as shit at the same time. Perfect cap to a song about excessive drinking.

That said, you can't expect any musician no matter how talented they are to top anything on an album like AFD, everything about that album is perfect as it was recorded.

This is going to turn in to the 2,000th form of wankery over buckets nightrain solo.

I totally agree with the original premise of the thread. I love bucket and what he contributed but it still doesn't top the original shit

I thought Im the only one. lol.

I've always thought that BH's Nightrain solo didn't really fit. It's a great solo, but it just never sounded right on the song imo.

Yeah... as sweetness said, its too soft. No meanness that was one of GNR's personality.

Edited by ChristmasFnatic

The only time "shredding" ever actually bothered me was when Bumblefoot first joined in 2006 and would shred his way through sections of solos where he shouldn't have. He grew out of that though, realized what parts are important and what parts he can do what we wants with.

That and his 14 Years solo. God that was bad.

I don't think the majority of show goers want to hear alt versions live. They want an experience like before or similar to the record. I guess that's why they occupy the middle ground for the most part. It's interesting for us but most aren't that interested. That prob why they get solo spots.

• Like 1

I never once cared for technical stuff but I give BH his props. I think he's the only guitarist after Slash/Izzy who actually sounds confident and knows what he is doing with the songs. He added his style to the songs and NightTrain is the standout but at the end of the day the original one is my pick for the best version.

• Like 1

I'd say Bucket had a better handle on doing his own "thing" within the framework of the song. He didn't do everything he could do because the song didn't call for it.

Everybody else seems set on throwing their whole arsenal and the kitchen sink into every solo spot they get i.e. "hey look! I'm playing it MY WAY!! I'm different!!!"

• Like 2

I really like Buckethead Nightrain solo. It's great and, in my opinion, it fitted the song. Of course, the original solo, written and recorded by Slash is better but I found the "enhanced" version of Nightrain really great.

Unlike other boring guitarists, Buckethead knows when he can shred.

Edited by Nosaj Thing
  • Like 1

Call me a purist all you want, but if I'm paying top dollar to see "Guns N' Roses", then at the very least I want to hear GNR songs the way they were meant to be heard. It ain't broken, don't fix it.

I'm not asking for note for note demonstrations, but I don't wanna hear Bucket's, Robin's, Bumble's, etc's total revamp of a song. I wanna hear those songs as close as to how they were written as possible. Put your own spins onto your OWN songs.

My two pennies.

Edited by Bobbo