Fucking mess of a performance from Slash/Myles.... how comes only Axl gets called up on his shitty performances and no-one else?

Towelie

I agree it's not a great performance, Slash needed a rhythm guitar for Civil War and Myles didn't sound good but it's still better than anything Axl and/or his band have done with the song since Argentina, 1993.

Seriously ? I actually really like the AFD bluray version. I don't understand how you'd pick Myles over Axl, I really don't, certainly not in Civil War.

• Like 1

I don't call out on if Axl is crap and all, and, sometimes, I kinda wish that most people in this forum wouldn't do so as well and the same applies for Slash or any other band member's endeavors.

As for this performance, I wouldn't say it is "disastrous" as one would think, but my standard rule is pretty much Myles on acoustic = gold so yeah.

Edited by Anguyen92

I'm still laughing that Axl turns the first verse of Jungle into You're Crazy for about seven seconds :lol:

Right! How bizarre. When I watch that I wonder if he was just going through the motions and if that's what he does in the back for vocal warmups or some shit and just kinda forgot what he was doing?? No clue. It's just a very strange performance among other things.

I'm still laughing that Axl turns the first verse of Jungle into You're Crazy for about seven seconds :lol:

Right! How bizarre. When I watch that I wonder if he was just going through the motions and if that's what he does in the back for vocal warmups or some shit and just kinda forgot what he was doing?? No clue. It's just a very strange performance among other things.

The "jungle" at 1:15 kills me.

Myles didn't sound good but it's still better than anything Axl and/or his band have done with the song since Argentina, 1993.

That's complete bullshit and you know it. The Vegas Bluray performance runs rings around Myles and Slash's shitty rendition.

Edited by Towelie

Cause no one really cares about Myles Kennedy. I mean really, if GnR sounds bad it's mostly Axls awful voice that will stick out and Slash plays an instrument, that's basically saying he will sound good 99% of the time. The only thing sounding bad is not Slash but rather his awful shit of a vocalist.

Axl=God given talent that time and misuse will take away(hence, his current status).

Slash fans have been eating shit since he left GN'R, so you can't fault them when they eat another helping. Axl can still provide quality on a few rare occasions, so it's a bigger deal that he's shitting it up himself.

Biggest LOL on that post :rofl-lol:

The difference between this two videos is:

in the first one Myles sings it the way he always does, some likes it some not, but there is nothing embarassing on it with the exception of one mistake. Otherwise it's about whether you like his voice or not.

And Slash plays Civil War on a single acustic guitar including every solo of that song. It's like singing a cappella, you'll hear every mistake. It's not his best performance, but it's still good for what it is.

The second video is like a comedy show. Like Axl's parodying himself. I hate it to say this, but I'm ashamed by watching this. Axl in his prime is my absolutely favourite singer, and always was, but this is kinda weird. First time I saw this I thought it was a fake.

How long did it take to find this Slash video? No offence but I bet you was searching for quite some time to find something on Youtube that you can compaire to the Axl disaster, but honestly, this didn't work.

But there is this SCOM performance Slash did with Fergie for Superball(?) if I'm remember correctly, now that was really bad.

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 1

Myles didn't sound good but it's still better than anything Axl and/or his band have done with the song since Argentina, 1993.

That's complete bullshit and you know it. The Vegas Bluray performance runs rings around Myles and Slash's shitty rendition.

No, it doesn't, well, maybe in your opinion. I can't enjoy out of breath singers and Axl sounds utterly awful in the Vegas blu.

You're whining about some double standard yet when you're comparing the two you bring up a professionally produced live DVD of a show Axl's been doing for 25423 years now compared to a one off acoustic live performance of Civil War. And yet others are using the wrong double standard?

But please, give me a timestamp where Axl runs rings around Myles and Slash on that Vegas Bluray. Because even on a professionally edited and produced and probably overdubbed live release, Axl still sounds godawful, out of breath and looks like a fat washed up rock singer. Now compare that to 2 musicians who just sit down and play. Double standard?

• Like 3

Not that I'm a big fan of Slash and Myles but all I see here is one vocal mistake, easily done too. Slash needed a second guitarist and Myles just doesn't suit the song because of his nasally way of hitting the high notes.

And Axl had strep throat so isn't a fair comparison.

It's almost impossible to compare the two's levels of performance, because a typical reviewer likely has a strong bias towards one of the parties, which I'm seeing a lot of in this thread. :P

I've never cared for Myles covering GnR songs, because he doesn't have the energy or vocal chops that Axl brings to the table. Axl might not always give an A+ performance, but the energy in it always shines. Slash's guitar work in GnR tracks is always top-notch though, I'd much rather hear Slash playing tracks like SCOM lately than Ashba..Myles' vocals really don't compliment the songs though.

tl;dr, Axl's the better singer, Slash can git-r-done

Utterly dreadful performance. Not only does Myles sound like a dying cat on the choruses, he cocks up the lyrics half way through as well.

Axl's bad performances become legendary around these parts and yet nobody bats an eye when Slash and Myles perform like shit.

well, we are only comparing axl to the axl from the 80s and 90s, where he was outstandingly good at nearly every concert. myles kennedy doesn't sound right on gnr tracks. he is ok on alter bridge stuff.

Edited by maxpax

The idea of Civil War being played with just one acoustic guitar and vocal is just bad in itself

It can work, the Slash/Myles version wasn't well arranged, if arranged at all. TBF that acoustic version of Jungle wasn't treated smartly for acoustic either, it was just played as if it were electric, and you can't really do that with acoustic versions. But Civil War it's a decent strum and hum tune. One person can do it easily.

Edited by moreblack