MyGNR's "Top 10 GN'R Songs" Discussion Thread

I've got a funny feeling that TWAT is going to win #1 :)

:facepalm:

You don't think Sixes ?

Not that I don't think it will be in the top 10 somewhere, I just would hope it wasn't. Dozens of better GNR songs, in my opinion..

I've got a funny feeling that TWAT is going to win #1 :)

:facepalm:

You don't think Sixes ?

Not that I don't think it will be in the top 10 somewhere, I just would hope it wasn't. Dozens of better GNR songs, in my opinion..

Whats your favourite ?

Anyone with 14 Years in their top 10 instantly goes up in my cool book.

If i trade Civil War on my list to 14 years that would do the trick?

I always find it interesting that they omitted Slash solo at the end of the song

It was a cool solo but I think the song sounds more natural without it.

• Like 2

Why only compile a top 10? Wouldn't it be more interesting to do a top 50? It's fairly predictable what tracks are going to make the top 10 if you ask me. Estranged, November Rain, Jungle, SCOM, maybe TWAT, Rocket Queen, Coma, YCBM etc. I would be interested to see where some of the lesser-celebrated songs end up.... I would be interested to see where a song like IRS or Shacklers would get compared to Mr Brownstone for example.

A top 50 would basically encompass the bulk of their catalog. Also, most people don't care much beyond the accessibility of a top 10. Top 15 is kind of pushing it. 25, you start losing people. 50, and not only would a lot of people not bother voting, but you'd have far less casual readers paying attention, AND it would be virtually impossible for us moderators to tally up the votes.

I'll give you that an initial Top 25 may be interesting and then we only do a countdown-poll thing with the top 10, but I sort of like the constraints that a Top 10 pushes on people.

I think you'll be surprised by what may end up in the top 10 - why? Because we're a fan forum, filled with die-hards, so a lot of people AREN'T going to be voting for the 'standard' tunes like WTTJ and Paradise City (I didn't). Instead you'll have fans who know the back catalog quite well and will vote for hidden gems.

Good example: look at how many people have voted for the acoustic rendition of You're Crazy so far...a shit ton of people. You think that would happen outside a fan forum? Or if we were doing a Top 50, do you think so many people would feel forced to put it in their top 10?

Will we only find out the results for top 10, or will we know what songs people voted for but didnt make the top 10?

• 2 weeks later...

Too many votes for You're crazy from lies, too few for Prostitute. This is embarrassing, I demand a recount

Prostitute is a piss poor song (only good part is the ending )

Btw ER closed the voting thread, what was the outcome?

I disagree completely, Prostitute isn't just my top GNR song, it is my favorite song by any band, ever. It's Guns N' Roses at its absolute best, imo.

Too many votes for You're crazy from lies, too few for Prostitute. This is embarrassing, I demand a recount

Prostitute is a piss poor song (only good part is the ending )

Btw ER closed the voting thread, what was the outcome?

I disagree completely, Prostitute isn't just my top GNR song, it is my favorite song by any band, ever. It's Guns N' Roses at its absolute best, imo.

Prostitute is a prime example of over producing a song

I only enjoy the last Vegas live versions, otherwise i consider P a boring song :shrugs:

(also this is my 5000th post here so now i'm prepared fully for a ban :headbang: )

Edited by Crash Diet

I remember seeing Rocket Queen on pretty much every list.

Surprised not more Move To The City. Best song on Live Like A Suicide. The version from 1992 kinda ruined it for me for a bit. All in all, I think the album ver is one if their best.

One of the old studio demo's of "Move to the City" is amazing. I really wish they had released that without the added in crowd noise.

Well, I think the results of this experiment are going to leave people equally surprised and unsurprised. a lot of it i saw coming (after all, we're a fan forum, so i knew a lot of 'album cuts' would get mentions and the big radio hits would probably get less votes), but at this point i'm honestly shocked by how few votes Paradise City has gotten. KOHD hasn't gotten a single vote, but Get in the Ring and Anything Goes did? :lol: I'm also surprised how many people dig Don't Damn Me compared to what I consider to be the far superior 'angry' song, Back Off Bitch. I always thought DDM sounded a bit too over-produced (which you can say for all the UYI material, but particularly that song), even though i like it. Back Off Bitch is way better IMO. But not a single person has voted for it so far.

we're halfway through the votes right now so we'll see if anything changes. shout-out to Powerage, Russ and Forsaken for being willing to help out with counting. I basically made a giant Excel sheet in Google Docs, created columns for each song, then columns for each page of the voting thread, and I'm going through with a fine-toothed comb counting up how many votes each song gets on each page. Highvoltage created a formula (because I suck at Excel) that will then automatically count up the votes in each column to show the totals.

I'll probably release the spreadsheet once we're done with the polling just so people can see how close some songs got to the top 10 (and how close some weren't).

• Like 2

i'm thinking of trying to put out some kind of press release type thing. we'll add it to the newswire, social media...

i think i'll wait until all the polls are done and we have a rank-ordered list before doing so. and then once the polls are finished and the songs are rank ordered, i'll share the excel spreadsheet with you guys, and we can compare the votes the top 10 songs got in the spreadsheet to where they placed in the polls. i was just talking to Powerage and said it'll be interesting if the song that got the most votes in our spreadsheet ends up only placing fifth or something in the polls... it'll be interesting to see if people are swayed or change their minds once the polls start. or if the people who didn't cast their votes in the voting thread will end up changing the results when they vote in the polls.