Chinese Democracy songs featuring Duff McKagan (2014 live performances)

Duff played on 5 CD songs with GN'R this year, it was the first time ever in GNRhistory that a former member of GNR played on new tracks.

What do you think about Duff playing those songs?

CHINESE DEMOCRACY

BETTER

CATCHER IN THE RYE

SHACKLER'S REVENGE

THIS I LOVE

Discuss.

Edited by RussTCB
  • Like 1

Duff should come back full-time and replace Tommy. Duff's willing and capable to play in the new incarnation of GnR, and would be a progressive and positive asset to the band.

...and he also co-wrote or wrote a lot of the original band's music. He was also the "punk" guy and while Tommy is cool, GNR is really missing that aggressive sound imo. Of course, as long as Darren is in the band hawking corporate energy drinks, it wouldn't really matter....but yeah, that's my two cents.

Edited by combos

Duff is the only former GN'R that works for those progressive songs; he was on board to go in that direction in the late 90s anway.I.R.S. and TWAT are really the only songs I see that Slash and Izzy/Gilby would own.

Duff hit it out of the park, not just on CD songs, but on anything. ISE just sounded right when Duff played the opening riff.

Really cool of him to bother learning the songs.

Most entertaining things about Duff's return:

-Watching his fans assure everyone that So Fine will be played at the next show

-DJ trying hard to impress Duff and falling on his face every time

Edited by bacardimayne
  • Like 1

I could see Slash playing on most of CD. I'm not sure on riff of chi dem or Shacklers but the rest he would fit in but give it a more UYI even AFD vibe at times. I guess the way it was recorded was more of a thing for him.

• Like 1

I could see Slash playing on most of CD. I'm not sure on riff of chi dem or Shacklers but the rest he would fit in but give it a more UYI even AFD vibe at times. I guess the way it was recorded was more of a thing for him.

You do realize, though, that if Slash were part of the picture, there would be no Chi Dem or Shacklers, right? Those songs would never have been written.

You do realize, though, that if Slash were part of the picture, there would be no Chi Dem or Shacklers, right? Those songs would never have been written.
For the most part yes. Stuff like This I Love, SOD, TWAT, Catcher I could imagine Slash playing on them or even helping Axl write them.

It was more of a notion in response to Duff playing on CD tracks live, then I was thinking Slash could actually do that too. Maybe it would change the songs more, not sure.