Does Axl intentionally hire sub par guitarists to keep the power structure in balance?

Legitimate question.

Axl has Richard.. Arguably the best rock n roll lead guitarist since Slash who could easily handle all solos but is limited.

Then Axl has had Bumble and Bucket who while not replicating rock n roll feel can easily shred circles around Slash.

Yes Axl has had all of these guitarists give up the spot light so to speak to focus attention on guitarists like dj and robin who have both continuously butchered original Slash solos worst than Slash on his Drunkest Day.

He had also limited their roles in studio..

Does Axl do this so that rather than have another Slash and having another member shine... He remains the biggest member of the band while the talented take a backseat to the less talented? That's messed up Axl.

i think you have to look at when and where each member came into the band.

Robin was the first guy in and was coming in as a lead.

Bucket was Bucket he did his shredding and solos.

Fortus replaced Tobias and was the 3rd guy...he had to find his own way to stand out.

Bumble was brought in for his technical ability to replace Bucket, but has since showed his versatility.

DJ came in to Finck's spot. You could argue to promote Fortus and hire someone else. The band might be technically better, but you would still need a third guy. Once the DJ choice was made there was no way a guy coming off the success of Sixx Am was gonna come in and play third wheel.

As to Axl not wanting to share the spotlight? Than why are there 6 solo spots in the show? As to studio time, and roles, the only limitations I see are when they came into the band and what was left to add to the peoject.

There's no way I would consider Robin and Dj sub par guitarists, they both have their own styles and fit perfectly the band imo.

Now, there certainly is a certain profile for each role (Bucket/Bumble; Robin/Dj; Paul/Richard) but I think that's natural on any band, especially when having 3 guitars that have to complement each other

Talented musicians are very difficult to find. Sure, these employees are technically skilled, but so is any hotshot at your local Guitar Center.

Someone of genuine and rare talent simply will not join Axl's company. For what? To let that talent be squandered and wasted for years in the studio, only for the music never to see the light of day? Just ask bucket.

So, Axl had to get whomever he could. That's why you have these employees who aren't remarkable in any real way.

Any guitarist with any sort of notoriety wouldn't ever join Guns, for plenty of reasons not limited to but including years of inactivity, Axl's history of difficulty, scheduling nightmares, replacing one of the most iconic guitarists in rock history, etc. The band is filled with session musicians who got the ultimate session musician gig.

• Like 3

Talented musicians are very difficult to find. Sure, these employees are technically skilled, but so is any hotshot at your local Guitar Center.

Someone of genuine and rare talent simply will not join Axl's company. For what? To let that talent be squandered and wasted for years in the studio, only for the music never to see the light of day? Just ask bucket.

So, Axl had to get whomever he could. That's why you have these employees who aren't remarkable in any real way.

And we all sit here and wonder why he hasn't hired you so you can waste your life in the band instead of on a message board dedicated to it.

Did you just call Buckethead a limited guitarist?

I feel sorry for you if that's what you inferred.

But just to be clear: he's not. Limited. Bucket is not a limited guitarist. I wish I was as "limited" as him every time I picked up my guitar lol.

Any guitarist with any sort of notoriety wouldn't ever join Guns, for plenty of reasons not limited to but including years of inactivity, Axl's history of difficulty, scheduling nightmares, replacing one of the most iconic guitarists in rock history, etc. The band is filled with session musicians who got the ultimate session musician gig.

The upside to that is they get to play the biggest venues and festivals all over the world and what little notoriety they had is now infinitely expanded; It is true that they endure criticism in Guns, but for those who left (Finck, Buckethead), can you truly say it hurt their careers? Also, I'm willing to bet the money is amazing, the level of pampering with Guns probably well above what they would make in another band, and last but not least, Guns has an amazing legacy that I'm sure any guitarist would like to be part of, even as a second fiddle. I don't agree with the session musician thing, that would imply the band has no real identity or coherence and it's all about Axl. To me that was the case in 2002 but not with the current lineup.

personally I think it's more about hiring amazing musicians but they have to know that Axl is the man. Axl hasn't brought in another big time ego like EVH or Megadave. Dj is the biggest star to join and he's pretty much Axls boy.

I think it's for the best really.

Although if I remember Bucket, Finck, Ron have all threatened mutiny at some point. So maybe it's not whether they bitch just whether they eventually do the job.

It's more about star power than anything.

Edited by wasted

I think Axl needs a good guitar for writte songs, i explain that.

Madagascar or SOD are good songs, okay, but where are riffs? guitar are rhythmics!

Axl needs a good riffs and he can write lyrics and vocal melodies, for example PC or SCOM, Slash write the guitar riff and Axl create the vocal melodies thats why i think that current guitarrist can create different riffs, for example Bumble more alternative, Ashba more commercials and Fortus more classics.

True I don't think Bucket or Finxk are really known for riffs. So I think if they were going for more riff rock or ACDc type album, but they weren't. CD is more Alt rock than ACDc.

Chi dem is like a Nirvana riff I suppose

Shacklers like a Korn song so I'm not sure if they are riffs

Scraped is more of a Prodigy type thing

Riad is Immigrant song

I didn't mean to infer bucket was limited he blew me away in 2002.

As for Richard I meant he is the best rock n roll lead guitarist in guns in terms of style.

But my point was does he have people like dj get equal time as bumble on lead to keep egos in check.

Edited by War2k14

As for Richard I meant he is the best rock n roll lead guitarist in guns in terms of style.

He's cool very versatile player, good with the chickenpickin' and can blow thru the Thin Lizzy stuff no problem. That middle part of Black Rose is no joke.