Chinese Democracy vs. Snakepit 1, Snakepit 2, VR albums and Slash's solo?

Towelie

NuGNR's one album vs. everything Slash has done post-Guns?  

141 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

For me, it's a case of quality over quantity, which is why I would pick Chinese over everything Slash has done combined from 1996-2012.

There's nothing on any of Slash's solo albums, Snakepit albums or with VR which hold a candle to the best of Chinese IMO, with the possible exception of Serial Killer.

Edited by Towelie

I think if Axl sings Slash songs with GnR will be hits! for example Set me free, its a perfect GnR song for Axl voice, with Weiland is good, with Axl will be awesome.

I prefer Slash songs becasuse are near to old gnr sound, and its perfect to me, Anastasia, Dirty Little Thing, Slither, Bad Rain, Ghost, Speed Parade, Mean Bone.... :slash:

Contraband and actually most Slash records have a couple of killer tracks but CD is something beautiful.

Only negative for CD is the association of the songs with the feud and old guns etc. but that has dissolved as time has gone on.

For me it's usually a case of quality over quantity as well, but I don't think CD is that good that it can "compete" with six albums that are all pretty enjoyable.

Out of those six albums, only three are any good. Ain't Life Grand is, in my estimation, Slash's best work post-Guns. His first solo album had some pretty solid tracks and Contraband had brilliant ballads and a few cool riffs, although most of the uptempos were a little throwaway.

As for the rest? Apocalyptic Love had a handful of cool tracks with quite a large amount of generic filler, and Libertad was an utter travesty of an album. IFOCS is largely crap IMO.

Edited by Towelie

You really should've gone with 1 vote per album. Not everything Slash related vs. CD.

I was more interested to see if Slash's entire post-Guns output would rank higher than Axl's only album under the GNR banner.

I get that. And I think that if you took the best from Slash's albums that you'd have an album that's better than CD.

But that's just my opinion.

• Like 1

I think that if you took the best from Slash's albums that you'd have an album that's better than CD.

I'm not so sure.

From all of Slash's various different projects, the only tracks which stand up to Chinese Democracy quality are Serial Killer, You Got No Right, Messages and Fall To Pieces. Maybe By The Sword and Been There Lately if I'm being generous. But even then, can you really say these tracks are as good as stuff like Better, Catcher In The Rye, Shacklers Revenge, TWAT, This I Love, Madagascar??

As for the rest of Slash's output?? Throwaway crap like the entire IFOCS album, most of Libertad, dross like One Last Thrill, Carolina, Bad Rain, We Will Roam, Do It For The Kids, Illegal I Song, Set Me Free, Spectacle.... no way does it match even the weakest tracks on Chinese.

Edited by Towelie

I would take everything out except for VR stuff(in particular Contraband) but I would side with CD. Seriously Slash entire material is awful to bad, except his VR stuff. Maybe this is just me but at the end of the day I'm the guy who will always go with the vocalist. I find a great singer is the rarest thing in music and Axl is a way better vocalist than Weiland(he's good but nothing special).

That's what tilts the discussion for me, the vocalist is basically the QB on a team and the rest are the receivers and running backs, etc. in terms of music I actually find it even. I think the best songs are pretty good musically in both albums, mostly cause I just like Slash/Duffs tone on their music compared to whoever is on CD.

I also believe that the bad songs on CD(and they are a lot) are considerably worse than Contrabands bad songs imo, scraped is really awful but like I said Axls voice is just better than Weiland and that does it for me.

I think that if you took the best from Slash's albums that you'd have an album that's better than CD.

I'm not so sure.

From all of Slash's various different projects, the only tracks which stand up to Chinese Democracy quality are Serial Killer, You Got No Right, Messages and Fall To Pieces. Maybe By The Sword and Been There Lately if I'm being generous. But even then, can you really say these tracks are as good as stuff like Better, Catcher In The Rye, Shacklers Revenge, TWAT, This I Love, Madagascar??

As for the rest of Slash's output?? Throwaway crap like the entire IFOCS album, most of Libertad, dross like One Last Thrill, Carolina, Bad Rain, We Will Roam, Do It For The Kids, Illegal I Song, Set Me Free, Spectacle.... no way does it match even the weakest tracks on Chinese.

That's true. The only thing bothering me about CD is the lack of rasp on some songs. I got into GN'R because of Axl's voice and I miss that on songs like TWAT and Catcher, which are great songs tho. His clean voice works on Prostitute, I absolutely love that song.

I don't know, maybe it would be 50/50 if it came to Slash's best songs vs. CD

I picked CD.

I really like Contraband and Libertad, but I have to say that I can't remember the last time I listened to a single song of those albums.

However I listen at least one CD song almost on a daily basis despite it being five years old now. I'm still not sick of it and it's still relevant to me.

• Like 2

For me, it's a case of quality over quantity, which is why I would pick Chinese over everything Slash has done combined from 1996-2012.

There's nothing on any of Slash's solo albums, Snakepit albums or with VR which hold a candle to the best of Chinese IMO, with the possible exception of Serial Killer.

Me too

But Slash done quality (not all of his post GNR albums are "quality" but i prefer Contraband and some snakepit songs over CD

Serial Killer, Rusted Heroes, Neither Can I, Slither etc. etc.

One thing that Slash always wins is his work doesn't overproduced mostly

If you combine the two here's what you probably get

Edited by Crash Diet

For me it's usually a case of quality over quantity as well, but I don't think CD is that good that it can "compete" with six albums that are all pretty enjoyable.

None of the Slash albums have had longevity of CD for me. But I still enjoy Slash new releases for a week or two.

CD doesn't have a lot if immediate tracks but they reveal themselves slowly with repeat listens. Even the rockers are tougher and more gritty so more its perfect. Axl meets the 90s. Simple genius.

I don't really like the mash ups as the lyrics and tone don't fit the music.

• Like 1

None of the Slash albums have had longevity of CD for me. But I still enjoy Slash new releases for a week or two.

CD doesn't have a lot if immediate tracks but they reveal themselves slowly with repeat listens. Even the rockers are tougher and more gritty so more its perfect. Axl meets the 90s. Simple genius.

The problem is CD doesn't have real rockers

CD doesn't have memorable riffs (maybe CD intro, but that's all) (although contains some fucking great guitar solos)

CD doesn't have memorable riffs (maybe CD intro, but that's all) (although contains some fucking great guitar solos)

They just aren't 80s hard rock rockers. They are great 90s Alt rock rockers. I mean Shacklers is the most rocking Korn song of all time. Chi dem is an ass kicking Nirvana style song.

I agree 80s hard rock are more ass kicking than 90s rockers really. Less swagger to the 90s stuff. Them Bones, Rusty Cage, Got the Life, On a Plain don't really compare to Welcome to the Jungle. It's a different thing.

I just wouldn't expect something hard rock from Finck or Bucket. So once you forget about that idea it's easier to appreciate CD on its own terms.

I would expect hard rock thrills from a Dj n Axl song. I'm expecting a Saints of the Jungle.

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

I'd take quality over quantity as well. Problem is, there's little quality in ChinDem. Contraband alone kicks its ass big time in every aspect. Axl Rose dreams about making a sweet ballad as Loving the Alien. Let's not even talk about the rockers. Libertad is also very good, much better than CD. And the funny part is that these albums took so little less time and money. All it took was talent and effort from those guys. Also, Scott sounds like a man on those VR records, Axl sounds like a Mickey Mouse Robot.

As for the other Slash projects... Snakepit is cool but too bluesy for my taste. Slash's solo albums have 3-4 good songs each. It's Slash on auto-pilot, unfortunately.

So... VR alone kicks CD's and Axl's fat butts. It's quality AND quantity over small quantity of questionable quality.

Funny thing is my favorite style of music usually mixes rock and electronic elements so it should be CD for me, but the songs are so bad, Axl sucks so much trying to be Trent Reznor that I rather listen to radio rock like Velvet Revolver. Atta boy, Axl!

ChiDem is all-around better in terms of songwriting and instrumentation; most of the others seem awfully generic. Exceptions being Contraband which is one of the best debut albums of the 2000's, and Slash's debut with songs sounding like he wants to be the lead guitarist for whatever singer he has featured in their style.

Edited by Gackt
  • Like 1

Funny thing is my favorite style of music usually mixes rock and electronic elements so it should be CD for me, but the songs are so bad, Axl sucks so much trying to be Trent Reznor that I rather listen to radio rock like Velvet Revolver. Atta boy, Axl!

Also, there were bands in the 90s and 00s mixing those elements really well, and had good success with it. By the time CD came out it was nothing new.

Also, there were bands in the 90s and 00s mixing those elements really well, and had good success with it. By the time CD came out it was nothing new.

Yep. Too bad Axl decided to follow trends instead of keep doing great rock songs and awesome ballads. CD sounds more dated than UYI.

The new part of the CD is the old classic rock. There's still very few bands doing stuff like ITW, SOD, TWAT, Catcher, Sorry, Madagascar, IRS, TIL, Prostitute.

A band doing Alt 90s Zeppelin just isn't a bad thing to me. With Axl on vocals, I'm in. I know it's not like early Guns or ACDC or VH.

I like it for what it is, not hate for what it isn't I suppose. I guess it's not for everyone.

• Like 1

They just aren't 80s hard rock rockers. They are great 90s Alt rock rockers. I mean Shacklers is the most rocking Korn song of all time. Chi dem is an ass kicking Nirvana style song.

I agree 80s hard rock are more ass kicking than 90s rockers really. Less swagger to the 90s stuff. Them Bones, Rusty Cage, Got the Life, On a Plain don't really compare to Welcome to the Jungle. It's a different thing.

I just wouldn't expect something hard rock from Finck or Bucket. So once you forget about that idea it's easier to appreciate CD on its own terms.

I would expect hard rock thrills from a Dj n Axl song. I'm expecting a Saints of the Jungle.

Im according with you.

The "problem" is that CD is a 90 album in 2008, yeah sounds like Korn or NIN or other alternative bands, the CD perfect year was 1998.

And all the hard rock bands failed when change the style, for example Motley Crue, Skid Row, Cindirella... difficult to GnR success.

In 2004-2005 all hard rock bands reunite and playing hard rock (modern or old) again and its succes, for example Kiss, ACDC, Aerosmith or Scorpions.