Led Zeppelin IV and Houses Of The Holy reissues

Silent Jay

Led Zeppelin IV and Houses of the Holy are to be reissued on 27 October, in the same formats as the first three: a single remastered CD, a deluxe edition with a second disc of unreleased versions, the same two options on vinyl and digital, or a super deluxe box containing both CDs, both vinyl albums and assorted other objects.

What will excite fans most is the prospect of unheard takes on familiar songs, and though the tracklisting for the companion discs doesn't reveal any completely new material, it does hold out the prospect of a mix of Stairway to Heaven completed at Sunset Sound Studios in Los Angeles but never released here. The band's official statement describes it as "the fabled, alternate version" of the song, but the late Andy Johns, who engineered the fourth album, recalled the Sunset mixes not seeming to work once the band left Los Angeles.

"It all sounded great at Sunset but the only mix that got used was When the Levee Breaks," he said in 2009. "That, for some reason turned out all right. But we did this playback at Olympic Studios in London and it wasn't the greatest place to hold a playback session. I should have chosen Island [in London]. Anyway the first song goes by and it doesn't sound very good at all. Jimmy

and I are sitting on the floor with heads in our hands going 'What the hell is this?' Then we played the next one and the next one … and it all sounded horrible.

"The other three guys were turning round and giving us funny looks. 'What's happened here?' If it had been anyone else I would have been booted off the project there and then. Jimmy said: 'Well, that's not very good is it? Let's go back to Island where we should have been in the first place. We'll mix it there.'"

The full tracklisting for the reissues is:

Led Zeppelin IV
1 Black Dog
2 Rock and Roll
3 The Battle of Evermore
4 Stairway to Heaven
5 Misty Mountain Hop
6 Four Sticks
7 Going to California
8 When the Levee Breaks

Companion audio disc
1 Black Dog – basic track with guitar overdubs
2 Rock and Roll – alternate mix
3 The Battle of Evermore – mandolin/guitar mix from Headley Grange
4 Stairway to Heaven – Sunset Sound mix
5 Misty Mountain Hop – alternate mix
6 Four Sticks – alternate mix
7 Going to California – mandolin/guitar mix
8 When the Levee Breaks – alternate UK mix

Houses of the Holy
1 The Song Remains the Same
2 The Rain Song
3 Over the Hills and Far Away
4 The Crunge
5 Dancing Days
6 D’yer Mak’er
7 No Quarter
8 The Ocean

Companion Audio Disc

1 The Song Remains the Same – guitar overdub reference mix
2 The Rain Song – mix minus piano
3 Over the Hills and Far Away – guitar mix backing track
4 The Crunge – rough mix – keys up
5 Dancing Days – rough mix with vocal
6 No Quarter – rough mix with John Paul Jones keyboard overdubs and no vocal
7 The Ocean – working mix

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/jul/29/led-zeppelin-unheard-stairway-to-heaven-next-reissues

• Like 1

Fucking awesome!

Really, really excited but a little sad these two don't have any new songs. I am guessing Graffiti and Coda will have a few

I am psyched to hear the alternate Stairway and No Quarter. The Song Remains the Same will be great too since it has so many layers

Edited by ZoSoRose

I wonder if Coda will include Hey Hey What Can I Do? Is it me or does Jimmy Page hate that song?

Are they going to do The Song Remains the Same? Because I am considering buying the 2007 remaster. BBC Sessions remains to be their best live album.

I was wondering about that song and also the songs that were unreleased but eventually got released on the 2 box sets

What are the box sets? I think I know which ones you are talking about. They were released years ago.

I wish they would re-release all The Yardbirds albums remastered. Doesn't Jimmy have some ownership?

The songs previously unreleased that appeared on the box sets are : Traveling Riverside Blues, White Summer/Black Mountain Side, Moby Dick/Bonzo's Montreux which was a brand new remix of both songs, Baby Come On Home. Hey Hey What Can I Do was also included on the sets.

Edited by Sixes

Man I'd love to see this happen with the 70's Aerosmith albums!

I like the Stones reissues with the bonus discs of Some Girls and Exile...hopefully they continue doing them.

Plundered My Soul off of the Exile reissue is one of the best songs the Stones ever did and it sat on the shelf for 40 years

• 2 months later...