Slash Never Performed Live Sober Until 2006

STPFAN

I'd rather my rock stars be drunken fuck ups, honestly. Who wants to listen to rock n' roll played by a responsible father and family man?

I do. I mean Duff is a responsible healthy father and family man and he is still has a good cool aura.

Here are his thoughts, in his book, on the 1st show he knew he was going to go at it sober.

it would be a big step for me because up to this point I had not played a live show sober. In fact, to the best of my knowledge I had never played sober in my entire life. I always took at least a couple of pulls off a bottle before a show, even at my earliest ones. The myth of being glamorously wasted for gigs was something I guess I had bought into from the beginning. All of my idols were that way, right? Keith Richards, Iggy Pop, Johnny Thunders—and Steve Jones, for that matter. I was terrified at the prospect of playing sober.

Of course, a few years earlier I had witnessed how Iggy could still flip a switch in the studio or onstage even after he got sober—he blew me away with his ability to reach that special place with no substances at all. And Steve Jones was sober now. Matt Sorum and John Taylor, too, so I would be in good company. I decided to go to a few rehearsals. Before I knew it, gig night had arrived and there was a line stretching down the block of Sunset Boulevard in front of the Viper Room.

This was June 1995, and back then the tinfoil-lined Viper Room was Hollywood central, filled with all of the hippest and most judgmental people on the planet. Fortunately the crowd that night also included Cully, Adam Day, and McBob. But still.

Can I do this?

I couldn’t shake the feeling that people were just going to be staring at me. Could I get out of myself without some sort of inebriant to help me? If I had learned nothing else during my career to that point, I did know that if I was too self-aware, I was going to suck. And if that was going to be a nightly occurrence, then I might as well just give it up. But I wanted to try, despite my fear.

It all came down to that old dilemma: fight or flight.

As we got near the little stage, something suddenly took over. I felt that anger. That healthy rage. I wanted to attack the gig, the people there, myself.

The show itself was a bit of a blur—which was good. But I still wasn’t confident about my performance. Sure, I knew I had played the notes correctly. But I didn’t know whether I had been any good. As soon as I could, I went out to find Cully.

“Dude, how’d I do?” I asked him.

“What? How’d you do? Are you kidding? You guys killed it.”

He looked at me and I could tell what he was thinking: We’ve made it back. Cully and I often seemed to know what the other was thinking, so I’m pretty sure he heard me silently add: Together.

Edited by Anguyen92
  • Like 1

That was a trip and it was a little shaky, but you get past that pretty quickly. ‘Cause you’re in the moment; you can’t just sit there and go, ‘Oh my God, I can’t do this.’ You have to do it. So I got over that pretty quickly.”

That's what matters at the end of the day

So this means i've seen a drunken Slash performing with VR in 2005,lol

Good for him. But playing the guitar after a few beers feels really good. Not sure about the drugs tho.

I disagree. I can't play shit drunk and that's why I never drink when playing or practicing.

Whatever worked for him though, I guess.

I said a few beers, not drunk :)

Good for him. But playing the guitar after a few beers feels really good. Not sure about the drugs tho.

I disagree. I can't play shit drunk and that's why I never drink when playing or practicing.

Whatever worked for him though, I guess.

I said a few beers, not drunk :)

Naw even a few beers fucks me up. I love beer, jus' not while really playing.

I Will admit that that it's fun to fuck around on guitar after a few, but not for any serious playing.

People used to complain because Axl didn't hang out with the band anymore ... I wonder why ....

Who wants to put up with an always-drunk-guy?

i have always not really taken a side in this axl vs slash bullshit that goes on here and i still dont.. i worked in a band for years and i was clean, others were not and ya dont even want to be around them after a certain point let alone work and create your art with them. neither way is "better" than the other, who am i to judge but you cant have synergy with that drastic difference. them no longer working together makes total sense