Americana/Heartland/Singer-songwriter suggestions?

LightningBolt

So over the past few months, I've been really getting into these kinds of music, but I'm mostly only familiar with the basics and not much else. Wondering if anyone can point me towards some good albums from these genres. Also anything that's kind of related to these genres could work, too, like folk and country rock can sometimes be pretty close. I was hesitant to include heartland rock because I think a lot of it tends to be pretty bad, but I think it fits the general theme. Anyway, started putting together a Spotify playlist with some albums from these genres and this is what I have:

The Band - The Band

Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks

Bob Dylan - Live 1966, The "Royal Albert Hall" Concert

Bob Dylan - Modern Times

Bob Dylan - Nashville Skyline

Bob Dylan - Tempest

Bruce Springsteen - Born in the U.S.A.

Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run

Bruce Springsteen - Darkness on the Edge of Town

Bruce Springsteen - Greetings from Asbury Park, NJ

Bruce Springsteen - Hammersmith Odeon, London '75

Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska

Bruce Springsteen - The Promise

Bruce Springsteen - The River

Bruce Springsteen - The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle

Bruce Springsteen - We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions

Grateful Dead - Workingman's Dead

Neil Young - After the Gold Rush

Neil Young - Everybody Knows This is Nowhere

Neil Young - Harvest

Neil Young - Le Noise

Neil Young - Live at Massey Hall 1971

Neil Young - On the Beach

Neil Young - Psychedelic Pill

Neil Young - Tonight's the Night

Neil Young - Zuma

Rod Stewart - Gasoline Alley

Rod Stewart - Every Picture Tells a Story

The Tallest Man on Earth - The Wild Hunt

The Tallest Man on Earth - There's No Leaving Now

The War on Drugs - Lost In the Dream

Any recommendations would be welcomed. In particular, newer bands I find are pretty rare in this style. I found out about The War on Drugs not very long ago and loved Lost in the Dream. I've been a fan of The Tallest Man on Earth for a while now. A few indie bands like The Gaslight Anthem, The Killers, and The Hold Steady do the heartland thing but I think they're pretty mediocre, though it's been a while since I've listened to The Gaslight Anthem or The Hold Steady so I'm open to revisiting those albums. Not big on The Killers, though.

Uncle Tupelo

Son Volt

Lucinda Williams

Gram Parsons

Wilco

Whiskeytown

Calexico

Gillian Welch

Bonnie Prince Billy

Bon Iver

American Music Club

Iris Dement

M Ward

Listened to Lucinda Williams' Car Wheels on a Gravel Road and listening to Wilco's and Billy Bragg's Mermaid Avenue Vol. II right now and they're both great. Thanks for the suggestions.

• Like 1

Uncle Tupelo

Son Volt

Lucinda Williams

Gram Parsons

Wilco

Whiskeytown

Calexico

Gillian Welch

Bonnie Prince Billy

Bon Iver

American Music Club

Iris Dement

M Ward

Listened to Lucinda Williams' Car Wheels on a Gravel Road and listening to Wilco's and Billy Bragg's Mermaid Avenue Vol. II right now and they're both great. Thanks for the suggestions.

Sky Blue Sky and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot are Wilcos best, I suggest those two albums if you haven't already heard them.

Also

http://youtu.be/knII3S0MZtY

http://youtu.be/fvj2OzKnpVM

Edited by LiveFromNormal

Uncle Tupelo

Son Volt

Lucinda Williams

Gram Parsons

Wilco

Whiskeytown

Calexico

Gillian Welch

Bonnie Prince Billy

Bon Iver

American Music Club

Iris Dement

M Ward

Car Wheels is such a great album...that's what introduced me to her and she's become one of my all time favorites

Wilco is spun off of Uncle Tupelo (as is Son Volt)...they have veered drastically from their original roots sounding albums and have become one of the most experimental and challenging bands of the past 20 years. Can't say enough good things about them.

Uncle Tupelo

Son Volt

Lucinda Williams

Gram Parsons

Wilco

Whiskeytown

Calexico

Gillian Welch

Bonnie Prince Billy

Bon Iver

American Music Club

Iris Dement

M Ward

Car Wheels is such a great album...that's what introduced me to her and she's become one of my all time favorites

Wilco is spun off of Uncle Tupelo (as is Son Volt)...they have veered drastically from their original roots sounding albums and have become one of the most experimental and challenging bands of the past 20 years. Can't say enough good things about them.

Wilco is phenomenal. This dude knows what's up.

Uncle Tupelo

Son Volt

Lucinda Williams

Gram Parsons

Wilco

Whiskeytown

Calexico

Gillian Welch

Bonnie Prince Billy

Bon Iver

American Music Club

Iris Dement

M Ward

Wilco is phenomenal. This dude knows what's up.

I've actually been meaning to listen to Wilco for quite a while now but never knew they were this type of music, though it sounds like their style expanded pretty far beyond it at some point. I'll be making my way through their discography for sure.

51YbAD-vrhL.jpg

I owned this book by Joyce Kornbluh for 12 years until it was lost in a forest fire which destroyed everything we owned. This book was the one I most regretted losing. It is an incredible collection of history, songs, personal anecdotes, and commentary on the most radical workers movement ever seen in the United States. It is inspiring to those who continue to struggle against oppression and poverty. It is also fun to sing and play the songs (a CD with 22 songs is included in the French version featuring Sleepy John Estes, Joe Hill, T-Bone Slim, etc.).

The pictorial matter and music are especially revealing, and help illustrate the old adage that the government and bosses may have the money, guns and victories, but the workers have the best songs.

This is the cover of the American version (no CD included):

3_rebelvoicesfrt300.jpg

Edited by durruti column
  • Like 2

In my opinion you haven’t even gotten to Dylan’s really good stuff yet (with the exception of Blood on the Tracks that you already mentioned)…I would definitely suggest these…
The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
Another Side of Bob Dylan
Bringing It All Back Home
Highway 61 Revisited
Blonde on Blonde
Time Out of Mind
Infidels

And a few really good Neil Young albums missing from your list as well…
Comes a Time
Freedom
Ragged Glory
Harvest Moon

Rust Never Sleeps (this is not just one of my favorite NY albums...but one of my favorite albums of all time)

In my opinion you haven’t even gotten to Dylan’s really good stuff yet (with the exception of Blood on the Tracks that you already mentioned)…I would definitely suggest these…

Highway 61 Revisited

Blonde on Blonde

Time Out of Mind

Infidels

Comes a Time

Freedom

Ragged Glory

Harvest Moon

Rust Never Sleeps (this is not just one of my favorite NY albums...but one of my favorite albums of all time)

I've listened to most of these. When I was first making up that playlist, I didn't feel like the earlier Bob Dylan stuff fit on it (but now I think they probably do idk). I haven't gotten a chance to listen to the latter two yet, though. For Neil Young I just forgot to add Harvest Moon and Rust Never Sleeps. I like Freedom, but again not really sure it fits what I'm going for (Neil Young in general only fits this theme on a few albums but I love his music so much that I added most of his early ones anyway). I'll listen to the ones here I haven't listened to yet, though.

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone.

Highway 61 Revisited

Blonde on Blonde

Time Out of Mind

Infidels

Comes a Time

Freedom

Ragged Glory

Harvest Moon

I've listened to most of these. When I was first making up that playlist, I didn't feel like the earlier Bob Dylan stuff fit on it (but now I think they probably do idk). I haven't gotten a chance to listen to the latter two yet, though. For Neil Young I just forgot to add Harvest Moon and Rust Never Sleeps. I like Freedom, but again not really sure it fits what I'm going for (Neil Young in general only fits this theme on a few albums but I love his music so much that I added most of his early ones anyway). I'll listen to the ones here I haven't listened to yet, though.

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone.

Yeah, I understand what you are saying...I was focused only on the artists that you had listed and missed that you were looking for music that fit into the Americana/Heartland theme...so you're right, all of my suggestions (or at least every song on each album) may not necessarily fit that theme, but it's all great music nonetheless.

bittertears.jpg

Bitter Tears: Ballads of the American Indian is a concept album released by Johnny Cash in 1964. It is one of several Americana records by Cash; as its title implies, the tracks on the album focus exclusively on the history of and problems facing Native Americans in the United States.

Edited by supercool

Nixon - Lambchop

Into the Great Wide Open - Tom Petty

Heart Attack and Vine - Tom Waits

El Corazon - Steve Earle

August and Everything After - Counting Crows

Grave Dancers Union - Soul Asylum

Vs - Pearl Jam

Whiskey for the Holy Ghost - Mark Lanegan

Gold - Ryan Adams

These Days - Bon Jovi

Edited by wasted