Axl talking about a random set list and not just playing AFD songs... St. Louis Riot Show 91

Axl talking about why they use a random set list among other things. This is from the St. Louis riot show.

Kinda funny now to find this with the set list hardly changing at all now and they play the shit out of AFD.

At about the 16:10 mark to 17:25

Edited by bigcountry

Bands in their heyday have the luxury of being able to play whatever the fuck they want. People will go to the shows just to see them.

When a band is no longer huge, they need to do what draws in the crowds. Playing the hits draws in crowds. Playing Perfect Crime, Locomotive and Scraped doesn't.

• Like 3

I wish GNR had a little more variety in their sets, although yes bacardi is right in that in the year 2014 GNR needs to have their most well known songs in the set to keep the crowds coming. I just wished they switched out and rotated a wider variety of songs, like instead of The Seeker they could do Perfect Crime, they could swap CITR for ITW every few nights, etc. They don't need to revamp the whole setlist in order to make more interesting ones

• Like 1

Bands in their heyday have the luxury of being able to play whatever the fuck they want. People will go to the shows just to see them.

When a band is no longer huge, they need to do what draws in the crowds. Playing the hits draws in crowds. Playing Perfect Crime, Locomotive and Scraped doesn't.

Spot on, so can the fundamentalists on both sides leave the other side alone about the "standards".

I'm bored to fucking death with them too but its a must for these guys to stay on the festival and Vegas circuits.

I can't imagine either Slash or Axl like Paradise City anymore.

Ironically, I like to see both men play deep cuts from UYI even if it is apart. Its such a shame we'll never hear Locomotive or Coma again live..

Edited by Intercourse

Except when you look at the sets back in the day they were pretty similar to today. They played the basic set every show with each leg they would swap in songs with a surprise here and there. The only difference is that they played all the same songs show after show but randomly instead of 90% in the same order as they do now. You could only count on paradise closing the show.

What people fail to grasp is the setlist is a problem because he is the only member of the band who was involved in the songs he keeps playing, apart from the other guy's minor involvement (except Stinson) on now ancient CD songs which they play a handful of.

He has not justified keeping the name despite originally setting out to do this through 2001-2010, therefore he can no longer diss Slash the way he was doing for so long since Slash has far exceeded his GNR association.

It's humorous how some fans spin everything that Axl does into a positive.

Doesn't release music - quality over quantity

Doesn't do press - shows he has integrity. Does press - see, he really cares about his fans, what a great interview he is.

Plays a wedding - smart financial decision

Doesn't do commercials - shows he isn't a media sell out whore like u-no-who.....until he does a commercial, then it's "cool, just Axl having fun."

Slash plays a small club - he's a loser who can't draw a crowd. Axl plays a small club - it's up close and personal, cool because you can get close to the stage.

Slash is a loser because he plays with a lot of different artists.........Axl plays a birthday party for a Hollywood actress - cool, nice to see him out and about.

Calls somebody a cancer and lesbian c*nt - lol, that's just Axl being Axl. And those people deserved it. Slash calls somebody "what's his name" and is crucified for being a prick.

The list just goes on and on and on.

That was an incredibly good post, Grogs. It's easy to expose the stupidity of some Axl fans, no? :lol:

• Like 2

It's humorous how some fans spin everything that Axl does into a positive.

Doesn't release music - quality over quantity

Doesn't do press - shows he has integrity. Does press - see, he really cares about his fans, what a great interview he is.

Plays a wedding - smart financial decision

Doesn't do commercials - shows he isn't a media sell out whore like u-no-who.....until he does a commercial, then it's "cool, just Axl having fun."

Slash plays a small club - he's a loser who can't draw a crowd. Axl plays a small club - it's up close and personal, cool because you can get close to the stage.

Slash is a loser because he plays with a lot of different artists.........Axl plays a birthday party for a Hollywood actress - cool, nice to see him out and about.

Calls somebody a cancer and lesbian c*nt - lol, that's just Axl being Axl. And those people deserved it. Slash calls somebody "what's his name" and is crucified for being a prick.

The list just goes on and on and on.

That was an incredibly good post, Grogs. It's easy to expose the stupidity of some Axl fans, no? :lol:

And I'm a die-hard Axl, GnR and CD fan.

It's just weird how some of these people spin everything to favor Axl and to hate on Slash.

Who are these people or is this just a compilation of various things Groghan has heard on this forum over the years from different members?

It is a compilation of various things - obviously. Which is why I repeat the same thing 3-4 times a year. Because of how often it happens.

And of course, every time you make a sarcastic comment that it doesn't happen, and that there are no such things as Axl worshippers in your ongoing quest to educate, ridicule and "win" arguments against those posters you don't like.

Everything I said in my post has been said on this forum. It's silly.

Groghan pulling things out of his ass again and attaching the ramblings of iftheworld and warchild to "some fans"

You actually just contradicted yourself in that sentence. But nice try.

Both those two posters haven't been here for a very long time anyway.

Keep trying though! Let your anger flag fly!!!!!

Oh, don't show me how I'm wrong or anything like that (you know, how adults usually debate things). Instead, just insult and throw out weird accusations that make no sense and that have nothing to do with the actual topic. Show me where I'm wrong on what I said - and I'll go back and find posts that back up every single one of my statements. It's funny how mad it makes guys like you when people aren't worshipping Axl's every move.

I will make this same post in three months when something else crazy happens. And you'll come here with your funny statement (completely ignoring how often this happens).

It cracks me up how uptight it makes some of you guys.

Odd that my original post has gotten so many "likes" today. Apparently there is quite a few people who agree with me.

Soul and CHB - are all those people wrong as well? Are we all in this big conspiracy to say mean untrue things about Axl?

Edited by Groghan

Groghan pulling things out of his ass again and attaching the ramblings of iftheworld and warchild to "some fans"

You actually just contradicted yourself in that sentence. But nice try.

Both those two posters haven't been here for a very long time anyway.

Keep trying though! Let your anger flag fly!!!!!

Oh, don't show me how I'm wrong or anything like that (you know, how adults usually debate things). Instead, just insult and throw out weird accusations that make no sense and that have nothing to do with the actual topic. Show me where I'm wrong on what I said - and I'll go back and find posts that back up every single one of my statements. It's funny how mad it makes guys like you when people aren't worshipping Axl's every move.

I will make this same post in three months when something else crazy happens. And you'll come here with your funny statement (completely ignoring how often this happens).

It cracks me up how uptight it makes some of you guys.

Odd that my original post has gotten so many "likes" today. Apparently there is quite a few people who agree with me.

Soul and CHB - are all those people wrong as well? Are we all in this big conspiracy to say mean untrue things about Axl?

You talk shit and quote crazy Axl fans. That about sums it up, right?

And you do this 3-4 times a year? Now THAT'S funny.

Here's a novel thought, when criticizing "some fans" you realise you're adding to the childish Axl vs Slash flame war, right? For an adult you spend a lot of time thinking about what a message board cupcake thinks. Try directly quoting someone, call them out on it. Otherwise you forget the real fans who give fair criticism and approval.

:headbang: Thanks CHB. I always take your constructive criticism very seriously.

Thank Axl that we have you here to tell the rest of us how to post. Please keep calling me out personally.....while telling me not to spend time thinking about what other people are posting (and not see the irony in it).

You rock - bro. I will take your advice and try and become a better person. :wub:

NOW back to the original topic.

Back on topic? You never was. Go back to circle jerking with maynard and co about crazy Axl fans.

I occasionally pop up and tell you how it is. (You're welcome) Whilst you post drivel about "some fans" every time I log on.

One of the things I love most about you is when you criticize me about something.........and then you end up doing the exact same thing. Often in the same post. But you are so angry that you don't realize it at the time. Cracks me up every time.

But again. Thanks, bro, for "telling me how it is." I'm going to contact UK SUBS and see if he is willing to make you the "Posting Guru" and give you the authority to let people know if their posts are up to your standards or not. I think you could really turn this forum around. Finally put an end to the "circle jerking" that goes on amongst some posters.

Would you be willing to take on that responsibility? It's a huge job.....but you might be saving the forum. At least think about it.