The guitar sound on Appetite for Destruction

I'm a really basic guitar too, lets be friends.

Cool article with some nice info though, the Stradster certainly has a way with raw simplicity. It's the little nuances that matter when you hear Stradlin play. I like his stuff with the embellishments tinkling along but his compositions are certainly the bones of many great tracks. Without the bones you can't hold the structure upright, imagine some CD tracks with the sane shell of Stradlin, they'd be glorious but less convoluted, there's beauty on both sides but merging would've been an intriguing possibility.

• Like 2

Izzy is GN'R. Totally agree with that article - the dual guitars on AFD is actually about 80% of the reason why I loved the band in the first place.

One other thing about the guitar sound on Appetite. Slash's sound has never sounded the same since. He lost that amp and he has never been able to recapture that sublime sound.

• Like 4

Yeah, the fact that slash and izzy's rhythm guitars rarely did the exact same thing and had different tones produced a unique sound particularly in that era where typically the rhythm was the exact same guitar part simply doubled, one for each ear.

• Like 2

Izzy is GN'R. Totally agree with that article - the dual guitars on AFD is actually about 80% of the reason why I loved the band in the first place.

One other thing about the guitar sound on Appetite. Slash's sound has never sounded the same since. He lost that amp and he has never been able to recapture that sublime sound.

How do you feel about Slash's rhythm playing on the UYIs (and in general)? We may finally agree on something. :o

How do you feel about Slash's rhythm playing on the UYIs (and in general)? We may finally agree on something. :o

His UYI tone fucking sucks. It sounds hollow and fuzzy.

• Like 1

Well it is excellent in itself, but turn up Izzy. I am not sure if this was Bill Price's or Clink's, Slash's - or even Axl’s - decision, but Izzy needs to be higher in the mix. Perhaps Axl was mad at Stradlin for not wanting to show his ballsack to the crowd while making 10mins videos. Who knows? Slash’s Illusion sound is still a very good sound but his leads on AFD seem to snarl at you. It actually seems like the amp will meltdown or blow-up at times (listen to his leads on Nightrain). And that was this modified pre-amp which he nicked from SIR (well, he rented it than said it had been 'nicked' because they wanted it back). They reclaimed it so UYI has a JCM 800 which does not have the same feeling.

And Izzy is low. So a combination of that means, Illusion does not have the same guitar sound. Illusion is more metallic. The rhythm lines are sharper, with less grease - the switch to Sorum, a ‘thumper‘ and not a ‘groover‘, may also contribute. It is not an unsatisfactory sound by any measure but Appetite crushes it.

• Like 3

Well it is excellent in itself, but turn up Izzy. I am not sure if this was Bill Price's or Clink's, Slash's - or even Axls - decision, but Izzy needs to be higher in the mix. Perhaps Axl was mad at Stradlin for not wanting to show his ballsack to the crowd while making 10mins videos. Who knows? Slashs Illusion sound is still a very good sound but his leads on AFD seem to snarl at you. It actually seems like the amp will meltdown or blow-up at times (listen to his leads on Nightrain). And that was this modified pre-amp which he nicked from SIR (well, he rented it than said it had been 'nicked' because they wanted it back). They reclaimed it so UYI has a JCM 800 which does not have the same feeling.

And Izzy is low. So a combination of that means, Illusion does not have the same guitar sound. Illusion is more metallic. The rhythm lines are sharper, with less grease - the switch to Sorum, a thumper and not a groover, may also contribute. It is not an unsatisfactory sound by any measure but Appetite crushes it.

I find that the Izzyless songs suffer hard from Slash's rhythm playing. Sounds like he's playing through a plastic tube. His rhythm tone needs more crunch and less snarl. Edited by bacardimayne

Well it is excellent in itself, but turn up Izzy. I am not sure if this was Bill Price's or Clink's, Slash's - or even Axls - decision, but Izzy needs to be higher in the mix. Perhaps Axl was mad at Stradlin for not wanting to show his ballsack to the crowd while making 10mins videos. Who knows? Slashs Illusion sound is still a very good sound but his leads on AFD seem to snarl at you. It actually seems like the amp will meltdown or blow-up at times (listen to his leads on Nightrain). And that was this modified pre-amp which he nicked from SIR (well, he rented it than said it had been 'nicked' because they wanted it back). They reclaimed it so UYI has a JCM 800 which does not have the same feeling.

And Izzy is low. So a combination of that means, Illusion does not have the same guitar sound. Illusion is more metallic. The rhythm lines are sharper, with less grease - the switch to Sorum, a thumper and not a groover, may also contribute. It is not an unsatisfactory sound by any measure but Appetite crushes it.

I find that the Izzyless songs suffer hard from Slash's rhythm playing. Sounds like he's playing through a plastic tube. His rhythm tone needs more crunch and less snarl.

*Cough* Garden of Eden *cough*

Back on topic - Slash's tone on AFD (and not to forget Izzy's contrasting tone) is perfect. It doesn't even sound like a guitar. More like some perfectly fine-tuned hard rock machine. All of the little snarls, squeals, whines and stuff that he gets out of it without bearing into wank territory is astounding. I've never heard harmonics sound so good.

Fuck South America

Locomotive is the worst one for me. I genuinely think that song is lowered from what could be a 9 to about a 7 because of Slash's abysmal rhythm tone/playing.

Without that abysmal rhythm that song wouldn't have existed

Edited by Crash Diet

Fuck South America

Locomotive is the worst one for me. I genuinely think that song is lowered from what could be a 9 to about a 7 because of Slash's abysmal rhythm tone/playing.

Without that abysmal rhythm that song wouldn't have existed

Wtf are you talking about? He could have easily just used a better tone and the song would have existed. Stop being an idiot.

The "It's not supposed to sound good" excuse just doesn't ever work

I prefer Appetite's guitar sound because the track layering sounds a lot better than some tracks on Illusions, which get a bit messy.

• Like 1

Back on topic - Slash's tone on AFD (and not to forget Izzy's contrasting tone) is perfect. It doesn't even sound like a guitar. More like some perfectly fine-tuned hard rock machine. All of the little snarls, squeals, whines and stuff that he gets out of it without bearing into wank territory is astounding. I've never heard harmonics sound so good.

Christ, we can agree.

(John is still better than Paul though.)

• Like 1

Question from a non-musician about achieving/replicating a certain guitar sound, for example the AFD sound/tone which is the topic being discussed... Not being a musician, I obviously don't really understand all the different aspects that go into producing a particular sound. I get that different styles/brands of guitars with different woods, setups, strings, pickups, etc. played through different amps and with various effects and production techniques can achieve a wide variety of different sounds. But what I don't get is why when the desired tone/sound of a guitar is achieved on an album why is it sometimes so elusive and hard to replicate that same sound on subsequent albums? For example, if Slash had desired to replicate the AFD sound/tone on the UYI albums wouldn't it have been fairly easy to do if he simply used the same guitar/amp setup (or at least one very similar)/effects/production techniques, etc. Like I said...I'm not a musician...but I do know what my ears like...and to me the sound/tone of the guitars on AFD is vastly superior to what I hear on the UYI albums. Imagine what "You Could Be Mine" and some of those other tracks would have sounded like with that mean AFD tone...was Slash intentionally trying to move in a different direction with his sound/tone or was he just not able to replicate that AFD tone?

Question from a non-musician about achieving/replicating a certain guitar sound, for example the AFD sound/tone which is the topic being discussed... Not being a musician, I obviously don't really understand all the different aspects that go into producing a particular sound. I get that different styles/brands of guitars with different woods, setups, strings, pickups, etc. played through different amps and with various effects and production techniques can achieve a wide variety of different sounds. But what I don't get is why when the desired tone/sound of a guitar is achieved on an album why is it sometimes so elusive and hard to replicate that same sound on subsequent albums? For example, if Slash had desired to replicate the AFD sound/tone on the UYI albums wouldn't it have been fairly easy to do if he simply used the same guitar/amp setup (or at least one very similar)/effects/production techniques, etc. Like I said...I'm not a musician...but I do know what my ears like...and to me the sound/tone of the guitars on AFD is vastly superior to what I hear on the UYI albums. Imagine what "You Could Be Mine" and some of those other tracks would have sounded like with that mean AFD tone...was Slash intentionally trying to move in a different direction with his sound/tone or was he just not able to replicate that AFD tone?

As I said, it was a 'modified' amp he was using from SIR. Every guitarist wanted this amp on the cheese rock circuit. It sounded, wonderful. Instruments and amps are like that; sometimes you just get one which sounds wonderful. But, as I said, this one had been modified. Slash's rental had expired so Slash tried to pull a fast one by faking a theft but SIR were not buying any of it and reclaimed the amp from GN'R's rehearsal space whenthe band was absent (probably off doing drugs).

So sadly he did not have this amp for UYI!

As I said, it was a 'modified' amp he was using from SIR. Every guitarist wanted this amp on the cheese rock circuit. It sounded, wonderful. Instruments and amps are like that; sometimes you just get one which sounds wonderful. But, as I said, this one had been modified. Slash's rental had expired so Slash tried to pull a fast one by faking a theft but SIR were not buying any of it and reclaimed the amp from GN'R's rehearsal space whenthe band was absent (probably off doing drugs).

So sadly he did not have this amp for UYI!

Seems like he probably made enough $ off of AFD to go back and purchase that same amp or have another one "modified" to the same specs? ;)

But, yeah...I get what you are saying...

Do we know if any other well-known guitarists used that same amp on other albums...would be interesting to hear.

Edited by foghat43