Rock will never die. It may not always be popular, but as long as there is people with guitars and people who will listen, rock will always be around in some form.

Before the Beatles came along, they said guitar groups were on the way out. They said rock was dying almost every decade since. It's still around and always will be.

One radiostation is closed

Big deal

This has nothing to do what you stated in the topic title

Btw radio stations in general are dying so as the music business

"Rock Is Dying" is sexier than "A Radio Station Changed Formats After 40 Years" I guess.

It's still active in this area.

Q107 (Toronto) is going strong.

9.77 HITZ.FM out of St Catharines, several stations throughout the region still going.

In fact, I can still flip the dial between many stations.

• Like 2

Rock just doesn't seem to address the issues of the day. Maybe because the western issues are so far removed from Facebook and Coco Balls reality. It's a dead culture, no one could write a protest song and be taken seriously, it's redundant as an art form but it lives on as a shrine to excess and entertainment. As a fantasy to escape into like sports or movies.

On Friday one of the last remaining longtime rock stations, WCCC in Hartford, went off the air after nearly 40 years of broadcasting rock music.

The station began in 1959 and was actually owned by a record label, Elektra, in the 1960's. It converted to a Progressive Rock format in 1975 and then a Mainstream Album Rock format in 1976.

Then in 1979 a young disc jockey named Howard Stern got his first-ever big market job there, as a morning host earning $250 a week.

"The people of Hartford were so gracious to me when I lived there, not only in terms of radio but I made a lot of personal friends," said Stern in a 17-minute telephone call to the station during the farewell broadcast. "I am very grateful for the experience I had in Hartford. I love WCCC and I am sorry to see it stop being a rock station. WCCC was, in my estimation, THE rock station in Hartford. When I got a job doing mornings on WCCC, it was such a big moment for me. I remember walking into WCCC and thinking 'Oh my God, I have hit the big time.'"

In 1998 it changed to an Active Rock format, and last year to a Classic Rock format. On Friday the last song it played was "Walk" by Pantera. It is now a Christian Contemporary station. :facepalm:

The numbers don't lie, we are seeing more and more commercial stations with new music formats converting to Contemporary, Country or Religious programming. Rock stations are being fazed out. Does anybody else see the same thing happening in their area?

Rock isn't dying. Radio is dying!

I studied Communications in college. They can't even keep up with changing standards anymore because of technology. For half a century they more or less had the same approach to everything... now, on almost an annual basis, everything is changing. iPods revolutionized the industry about a decade ago. Now cloud/streaming is even killing physical storage. It's crazy.

But no, rock music isn't dying.

Trivia note about McCoy, by the way: he works with a guy who taught one of my college classes at Penn State.

• Like 1

On Friday one of the last remaining longtime rock stations, WCCC in Hartford, went off the air after nearly 40 years of broadcasting rock music.

The station began in 1959 and was actually owned by a record label, Elektra, in the 1960's. It converted to a Progressive Rock format in 1975 and then a Mainstream Album Rock format in 1976.

Then in 1979 a young disc jockey named Howard Stern got his first-ever big market job there, as a morning host earning $250 a week.

"The people of Hartford were so gracious to me when I lived there, not only in terms of radio but I made a lot of personal friends," said Stern in a 17-minute telephone call to the station during the farewell broadcast. "I am very grateful for the experience I had in Hartford. I love WCCC and I am sorry to see it stop being a rock station. WCCC was, in my estimation, THE rock station in Hartford. When I got a job doing mornings on WCCC, it was such a big moment for me. I remember walking into WCCC and thinking 'Oh my God, I have hit the big time.'"

In 1998 it changed to an Active Rock format, and last year to a Classic Rock format. On Friday the last song it played was "Walk" by Pantera. It is now a Christian Contemporary station. :facepalm:

The numbers don't lie, we are seeing more and more commercial stations with new music formats converting to Contemporary, Country or Religious programming. Rock stations are being fazed out. Does anybody else see the same thing happening in their area?

Every decade from the 50's to the 80's produced great new rock groups/musicians, how many have there been over the past 20 years?

a lot

here's the confusing thing about rock in CT, though. I listened quite a bit to the last hours of WCCC on Friday. they had Jim Koplik on who books live nation events in CT. he said that they actually had a greater turnout for mayhem this year WITHOUT the support of a modern rock station than they did last year. although I'm not sure that's a good measuring stick, though. CCC changed formats from modern to classic rock before/around April (I seem to remember the protests being in April) and mayhem is over the summer. that would mean CCC was (officially) out of modern rock a couple of months before mayhem. I'm not sure they were really a factor last year, either. I'd prefer to hear how it compared to 2012 when CCC was still firmly modern rock.

losing CCC is a sad sad thing. I'm friends with a few of the DJ's on fb. before the format change, I loved a very high percentage of the dj's on the station. the closest thing now is WPLR which is primarily classic rock, but will "interrupt the usual classic rock" for something new. I've heard a7x and volbeat on there. I even heard Anastasia on there when that was released as a single. thing with them is I hate the dj's on there as much as loved the dj's on CCC. so CCC had great dj's and great music. while they were modern rock, they'd play some Zep, old school VH, etc. it was a great mix for me. I tend toward modern, but enjoy some classic rock mixed in.

• Like 1

Their core audiences are working men who play the radio during work. Most of those guys are between 35 and 50 so you would hear a lot of music from 1975 to 1995. Guys who listened to anything before that are nearing retirement. Sure you get some Jimi Hendrix and Beatles thrown in there. Some Rolling Stones. But they keep it within the bracket.

Rock isn't dying. Radio is dying!

I studied Communications in college. They can't even keep up with changing standards anymore because of technology. For half a century they more or less had the same approach to everything... now, on almost an annual basis, everything is changing. iPods revolutionized the industry about a decade ago. Now cloud/streaming is even killing physical storage. It's crazy.

But no, rock music isn't dying.

Trivia note about McCoy, by the way: he works with a guy who taught one of my college classes at Penn State.

I know exactly who you're talking about. JB?

There are more country and religious stations because those people tend to be technologically incompetent and still rely on radio for their music listening.

2351252-jaguars-fan-gif.gif

It's very important to some people to insult music genres that they don't listen to. And then equally important to get irritated if somebody insults the music they like!