There are more country and religious stations because those people tend to be technologically incompetent and still rely on radio for their music listening.

2351252-jaguars-fan-gif.gif

It's very important to some people to insult music genres that they don't listen to. And then equally important to get irritated if somebody insults the music they like!
Oh shut the fuck up. His post was a decent observation. The average demographic for gospel and country is far less likely to be technologically inclined than the demographics for pop and rock. Are you seriously going to argue against this or are you just whining about Broski for no reason again? Edited by bacardimayne

There are more country and religious stations because those people tend to be technologically incompetent and still rely on radio for their music listening.

It's very important to some people to insult music genres that they don't listen to. And then equally important to get irritated if somebody insults the music they like!
Oh shut the fuck up. His post was a decent observation. The average demographic for gospel and country is far less likely to be technologically inclined than the demographics for pop and rock. Are you seriously going to argue against this or are you just whining about Broski for no reason again?

Evidence?

Oh shut the fuck up. His post was a decent observation. The average demographic for gospel and country is far less likely to be technologically inclined than the demographics for pop and rock. Are you seriously going to argue against this or are you just whining about Broski for no reason again?

Evidence?

LOL, those two get angry very easily. Even if you question them insulting people..........that sets them off! It's funny to watch.

But sure. Christians and country-folk are all technology challenged. Them there preachers and farmers don't know how to use the internets. Heck, they might not even have lectricty in some parts. And they only buy really old vehicles that come stock with cassette decks in them.

But because I disagree with them insulting people constantly over things........I should "shut the f*ck up." Nice.

Edited by Groghan
  • Like 1

Gospel and country are music genres that tend to be enjoyed by an older, more conservative crowd. How is it insulting to assume that the percentage of gospel/country listeners who use the radio to listen to music is higher than that of pop/rock/modern music listeners? I hate to throw out the "this is a GNR forum" card, but this is a fucking GNR forum. Surely a non-PC opinion or two can be handled here.

(personally I don't even think it's non-pc to suggest that less old conservative people use computers and Internet than young people)

But because I disagree with them insulting people constantly over things........I should "shut the f*ck up." Nice.

No, you should shut the fuck up because all you seem to do is whine about people not liking things you like. It's a forum. People are going to disagree and have differing opinions on things.

• Like 3

Gospel and country are music genres that tend to be enjoyed by an older, more conservative crowd. How is it insulting to assume that the percentage of gospel/country listeners who use the radio to listen to music is higher than that of pop/rock/modern music listeners? I hate to throw out the "this is a GNR forum" card, but this is a fucking GNR forum. Surely a non-PC opinion or two can be handled here.

(personally I don't even think it's non-pc to suggest that less old conservative people use computers and Internet than young people)

No, you should shut the fuck up because all you seem to do is whine about people not liking things you like. It's a forum. People are going to disagree and have differing opinions on things.

99818-well-there-it-is-gif-Jeff-Gold-seL

Here's a thought I had about this:

Isn't it just that Christian stations are taking over "what's left" so to speak, much like television programming? Since many people who listen to all genres are moving on to internet and satellite radio, the religious groups are just taking the stations left over because it's cheaper now?

It would be like if Netflix becomes more and more popular along with HBO, Showtime, etc. Maybe those Sunday morning preacher shows or the ones that run over night would move into more prime spots due to availlabilty? Not sure if what I'm saying is making sense or not, but here's hoping.

• Like 1

Could be, Russ ... but that doesn't explain why the number of radio stations has gone up steadily for the past 20 years.

That's because people like TM can host radio shows from their bedroom whenever they want.

Are user created stations counted?? If so, that'd be insane to me. That would be liking counting a YouTube channel as a TV station, wouldn't it?

HMV shut down and they moved all the stock into this bargain bin store across the street. I went in 3 for a 5iver. But I still didn't buy any. CDs just don't excite me and I'm jaded dad rock fan so I saved the money and bought 2 packets of mints for a pound in pound land.

I should have got those 3 Phil Collins albums.

• Like 1

Well, I don't know about other cities, but any rock band that comes to Dallas always has a huge turn out.

The Motley Crue show was totally sold out. I've only seen that once before in that venue and that was for Rush.

Anytime an 80's band comes through, people always turn out.

The 3 times GNR came to Dallas, they pretty much sold out. Rock will always be alive and well.

Look at Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and The Scorpions. Still rockin after 40 years. What's great now is the parents now bring their kids. Each new generation will always keep rock and roll alive.

Well, I don't know about other cities, but any rock band that comes to Dallas always has a huge turn out.

The Motley Crue show was totally sold out. I've only seen that once before in that venue and that was for Rush.

The 3 times GNR came to Dallas, they pretty much sold out. Rock will always be alive and well.

Look at Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and The Scorpions. Still rockin after 40 years. What's great now is the parents now bring their kids. Each new generation will always keep rock and roll alive.

Unless you're talking about the 90s, GN'R has only been to Dallas twice since the 90s, 2011 Gexa, 2013 House of Blues.

But how about 15 years from now when all the legacy acts are gone? Will Dallas still care to see the rock bands of the current generation? That's how you tell if the genre is still alive. Edited by bacardimayne
  • Like 1

I think so, at times. I frequently listen to this rock radio station in Dallas/Fort Worth and they are doing some decent promotion of the upcoming Mayhem Festival show at the Gexa with A7X/Korn being the headliners. I want to believe that 15 years later that things are going to be fine. It may be scaled down a bit (could be a lot) in terms of crowd attendance and album sales, but I think rock would be ok. There's always going to be a demand of good rock music and there's a good amount out there. It's just not going to make an impact on pop culture like Metallica and GNR, amongst others, did and there may be certain cases where that's all right.

Edited by Anguyen92

Rock needs to be fuelled by excess. Whatever band comes out will only be able to release one cd before it gets dropped. I think an all girl Ramones could release one mp3 then machine gun them selves to death on Youtube. Band name: Machine Gum. Like a modern day Sex pistols.

Edited by wasted

I've been thinking about the current state of rock lately. Bacardi mentioned the legacy acts and it reminded me that I think about that alot.

I know of tons of tickets that are sold to shows like the Stones, Aerosmith, Clapton, The Who, Roger Waters, Steve Miller, Journey, Cheap Trick, etc that are generational shows. People from older generations are fanning the flames of those bands and it keeps younger generations interested in checking it out.

On the flip side, I can't think of a single act from the last 20 years that the same thing will happen with. The next decade should be the one to really tell us the score with the future of rock. With all the legacy acts fading away and nothing to replace them, something will have to give.

I think because punk was really the undercover driving force behind the 90s bands. And they have more a problem really selling out properly. It just seemed so much harder to be legit. When they got big they had to justify it. Kurt blew his head off. Guns broke up. Patton went up his own ass (in a good way). I guess girl and boy bands really took on the mantel that some groups like the Stones did. Motley or RHCP could have done it maybe. I can't see Nirvana or RATM really being able to play huge stadiums of soccer moms.

Real rock will never die. Radio sucks ass, why bother with it (apart from Sixx Sense 7pm-12am M-F on iHeartRadio.com, search Sixx Sense or go to www.tumblr.com/thesixxarmy/sixxsenseUSA) when you've got

1-Pandora

2-Spotify

3-Aux jacks for your phone

4-CD players

?