Masters of Sex: Season 2

Anyone still watching this show? I got caught up in a bunch of the new shows so I'm a little behind on this, but still thoroughly enjoying it. Only two episodes in so far, but this season seems to be a bit more about the drama involving Virginia and Bill rather than their research. Not a bad thing, just noting how the season is going.

Great show, though.

• 2 months later...

Had to bump this thread. I was ok with the second season. I wasn't loving it, but I also didn't love the first season. The first season kept me interested though. I fell behind in the second season as I lost interest and just recently caught up again.

I just watched the season 2 finale and, honestly, it finally clicked how great this show is. There was A LOT of build up. But around episode 9 or 10, it kind of just becomes "holy fuck" great. Its not for everyone, but the last 4 episodes or so of season 2 were excellent. Like, I don't want to use a higher word than excellent, but they kind of were. Especially if you've been watching the whole show. It all finally comes to this massive head and everything is brought back up. And when you get to the end, you kind of have to admire everything that came before.

And the acting, which I myself have been critical of, really hit a stride. I wasn't really a huge fan of Sheen's acting, even though I've seen other things I really like him in, and once they full delve into his backstory in the backhalf of season 2 it kind of all makes sense. I won't say his acting is perfect or anything. But I was kind of like "shit, everything he's been playing makes a lot of sense now." Same with a lot of people like Libby and the hooker girl.

I don't know. I just finished this show and had to bump this thread cause I finally feel vindicated for sticking with it. A really well crafted series of television, which they seemed to always be going for that comes to life by the end of the second season. Can't wait for season 3.

• 1 year later...

Bumping this because I finally got around to starting Season 3. I don't know if it's because it's been so long since I watched it or how they're handling season 3 but I'm not feeling it at all unfortunately. Almost to the point where I don't even feel like watching it at all.

Shame because I loved the first season and really enjoyed the second season still.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2016 at 11:52 AM, Black Sabbath said:

Oh there is plenty of nudity and sex.

And to go off of my previous post, Season 3 has gotten much better. I'm on episode 6 now.

Nice. I gave it a few episodes and it felt like it was dragging. I'll give it another shot then. 

• 4 months later...

No sure what possessed me to rewatch THIS, but I just did rewatch season 3 of this show. I guess cause this thread was long gone by the time it actually aired I never wrote about it, but did see it when it aired too, so this is more like a refresher viewing.

As is usual, I felt less strongly than I did when it originally aired. I think many, critics and fans, saw season 3 as a real low. The show just goes off the rails and its not about Masters and Johnson's work anymore but fabricated personal lives. Because of this, it becomes soapy (which admittedly its always had a hint of) and there's no truth or research to ground it (it ends with a race to the fucking airport for god’s sake, which is as soapy and unbelievable as you can get). Probably comes fully to a head in the season when they try to work with a gorilla having sexual dysfunction, which is as laughable as it sounds, made only worse by the fact that, again, its not even rooted in fact and is purely fictional. The biggest issue was the side plots with their children, which the show even fully admits is fictitious (as if that makes it better?) and was initially and still is my biggest peeve with the season. If that was completely erased, the season still would be lacking, but that was really what sunk it to the bottom.

The other struggle season 3 was the acting was pretty on point with everything these guys were given, while unfortunately the characters were dragged through the mud. Bill becomes nearly unforgivable, surprisingly early in the season actually. The love triangle that happens brings out the worst in everyone. Bill becomes irrational and bi-polar, with the pattern of every episode being him torturing Virginia to the next episode begging for her forgiveness, which continues all season long for nearly no point. It also brings out the worst in Virginia because she basically just has two affairs and doesn’t further her life at all. She’ll question Bill’s behaviors then continue to be just as stupid. I get that everyone is flawed, but you gotta have someone to root for here and there really isn’t. And that doesn’t even touch Libby, who is basically relegated to “more affairs” as her storyline, made even worse by the fact that they do the same with her they did with Bill and Virginia. Each episode is “I’m leaving” with the next being “I’m not” all season long. Nothing gets done and unlike season 2 its brought way more to the forefront for no reason.

It does all finally come to a head in the finale, although it could be argued to what avail. Bill basically getting accused of two crimes, both of which inadvertently his fault, although again the amount of disbelief you have to suspend to believe a doctor like Bill would be this stupid is just beyond. When he finally admits to his decade long affair to Libby, you’re slightly thrown but it also seems too little too late, which is basically how Libby reacts too. The best thing to come out of the finale was Virginia hitting someone with a box, since its kind of what you want to do with every character in the show. Knock some sense into them and get back on track.

I’ve done it with other shows. Regardless of their quality, I pretty much stick with them. I have to see how they end or die. Like I said, in retrospect and as a binge watch Season 3 wasn’t horrible, although it added nothing of note to the series and basically left every character at their lowest and a story completely devoid of facts. I can’t help but be curious about what happens in season 4. Cause obviously they do continue working together and they do eventually get married. With how season 3 ended, I can’t imagine what they do that brings Virginia back and forgiving Bill to the point that she can work with him, but I’ll give the show one more shot. Get back to the actual research and right season 3 which was a terrible left turn.

Season 4 is back in a little over 2 months.